Trade in Values for S23 Ultra

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
One of the main reasons I'm probably going to jump from the S22U to S23U is that at some point I wanted a better backup phone than a S7 and this might be the last year that the S7 can be traded in. So I would be keeping my S22U anyway....but in the future if the trade-ins of the previous year phones are just as bad as this year, I'm pretty much going to be done with yearly upgrades and go back to 2 to 3 year upgrade paths...

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
When the trade in goes thru and gets approved you will get monthly bill credits for that amount which will cancel the charge out.

It can take 2 to 3 bill cycles for the trade in to process. If it takes 3 months they will credit you the 3 months you had to pay waiting for the approval.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I found out what the issue was and can't believe I didn't notice it on my email invoice. Even though I added the trade in information it's not actually on my order. Samsung says I have to cancel and redo it but Verizon said they can process the trade in after I get the phone and I will still get the $800 credit. Has anyone experienced this before? I prefer not to lose my place in line but also don't want to be screwed with a lesser trade in credit.

Ihazterbo

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So I lied. Wasn't going to do it, but I bought an unlocked one (graphite color) and did Samsung finance. Trade in wasn't horrible, but I'd rather do that than go through the carrier. You can at least lay off the phone early where with AT&T, they make it basically impossible. Should be here the day before my Birthday so, Happy Birthday to me

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So I lied. Wasn't going to do it, but I bought an unlocked one (graphite color) and did Samsung finance. Trade in wasn't horrible, but I'd rather do that than go through the carrier. You can at least lay off the phone early where with AT&T, they make it basically impossible. Should be here the day before my Birthday so, Happy Birthday to me

Great. The carrier high trade in deals are what I call volunteer 2 or 3 year contracts. They are a great deal if you keep your phones that long, but not for yearly upgrades. Verizon does 3 year payments for the trade in which is ridiculous.

I went with the unlocked green myself.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Great. The carrier high trade in deals are what I call volunteer 2 or 3 year contracts. They are a great deal if you keep your phones that long, but not for yearly upgrades. Verizon does 3 year payments for the trade in which is ridiculous.

Yea heck with being locked in for a cheaper price. You never know when some huge advancement is going to come out with some great trade in deal but then you're stuck for another two years. Myself, I'm a believer in freedom at a higher price.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yea heck with being locked in for a cheaper price. You never know when some huge advancement is going to come out with some great trade in deal but then you're stuck for another two years. Myself, I'm a believer in freedom at a higher price.

Well I did say I was keeping my 21U for 2 years I loved it that much than I saw the 1000 trade in for the 22 so I did it so now I plan on keeping this one for 2 years but I too like to own our phones outright just in case. So for a little more money we did unlocked.I got 140 from Ratuken plus 35 extra off from work plus the buds pro 2 so I still say it's not a bad deal.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Personally I consider them a borderline scam... but then, I've always hated carrier devices and contracts.

I actually don't even have a contract for my service, let alone my device.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like to welcome all of you lovely American folks to the rest of the world! Our trade in values have always been pretty mediocre, and I'm sorry you have to join us here.

Potentially Unpopular take; they may be doing the right thing. Although this is clearly motivated by Samsung's own bottom line, in a worll where the changing climate is poised to ravage our ecology and Sammy themselves are waxing lyrrical about how much effort they are making to be more environmentally friendly and use more recycled materials (I bet the S23 series will still arrive covered in pointless plastic film)... I'm not sure that incentiviseing people to upgrade yearly when there really is no need too is the right move.

I say this as someone who got a new phone 6 months ago lol. I'm not a hypocrite, I'm an enthusiast!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally I consider them a borderline scam... but then, I've always hated carrier devices and contracts.

I actually don't even have a contract for my service, let alone my device.
Scam is a strong word..I can't disagree or agree on that.

It definitely is not fully explained to the mass people doing it and mass people don't understand how it works. That part is a scam IMO.

I still stand by what I say. As long as the people understand how it works and the person keeps their phones for that length of time I say why not, cheapest way to get a phone.

My wife does keep her phone that long. I have a note 9 laying in the drawer, so in this case why not. $1,000 for a note 9 where Samsung is only giving $190. I also think this year is the last year to get this kind of trade in for the note 9. The note 8 does not qualify for $1,000.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Scam is a strong word..I can't disagree or agree on that.

It definitely is not fully explained to the mass people doing it and mass people don't understand how it works. That part is a scam IMO.

I still stand by what I say. As long as the people understand how it works and the person keeps their phones for that length of time I say why not, cheapest way to get a phone.

My wife does keep her phone that long. I have a note 9 laying in the drawer, so in this case why not. $1,000 for a note 9 where Samsung is only giving $190. I also think this year is the last year to get this kind of trade in for the note 9. The note 8 does not qualify for $1,000.

Yeah,I agree. As long as people fully know what they're getting into and realise that if they upgrade after, say, 12 months, that $1000 trade in will magically transform into a $333 trade in then it isn't so much of an issue. Though I still wouldn't sign up for it. The problem is that, as you allude to, I don't think people do always fully understand how this sca... contract works.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah,I agree. As long as people fully know what they're getting into and realise that if they upgrade after, say, 12 months, that $1000 trade in will magically transform into a $333 trade in then it isn't so much of an issue. Though I still wouldn't sign up for it. The problem isthat, as you allude to, I don't think people do always fully understand how this sca... contract works.
Understanding it is the key. That's why I'm letting my wife do it, and I decided to go thru Samsung direct. As long as ratuken comes thru it will be $245 more and I get the ear buds pro which will be a Christmas present. Christmas shopping early this year

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else had this issue but when I placed my order on Samsung it included the trade in for my S21 at $800. After it shipped the trade in was not reflecting and they confirmed that part didn't go through. I called Verizon to ask if I could just process the trade through them and they confirmed I could and would still get the $800. Today I started the process and they informed me that I would only get $400 and that if I wanted 800 I would need to increase my phone plan to a higher tier?

Would this be the same case if I reordered through Samsung?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else had this issue but when I placed my order on Samsung it included the trade in for my S21 at $800. After it shipped the trade in was not reflecting and they confirmed that part didn't go through. I called Verizon to ask if I could just process the trade through them and they confirmed I could and would still get the $800. Today I started the process and they informed me that I would only get $400 and that if I wanted 800 I would need to increase my phone plan to a higher tier?

Would this be the same case if I reordered through Samsung?
The promo didn't change it was always that way. All of the carriers require a premium data plan to get the highest trade-in payout.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110