Turning off LTE - Using 3G only

truongan916

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I just recently updated my s9 plus, and the update reset my network setting. My phone has a problem with LTE and nonstop restarting which is why i only run 3G, speed is fast enough for me to not care about needing new phone. After the update I'm unable to find "Network Mode" in the Mobile Networks. The list I'm seeing is Mobile Date, International Data Roaming, Allow 2g Service, Access point, Network Operators, Mobile Network diagostics.

Can someone help me find the right path to disabling LTE?

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I just recently updated my s9 plus, and the update reset my network setting. My phone has a problem with LTE and nonstop restarting which is why i only run 3G, speed is fast enough for me to not care about needing new phone. After the update I'm unable to find "Network Mode" in the Mobile Networks. The list I'm seeing is Mobile Date, International Data Roaming, Allow 2g Service, Access point, Network Operators, Mobile Network diagostics.

Check in Mobile Data, there might be something LTE related (I’m taking a wild guess here as I’m unfamiliar with Android).

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

What carrier?

Sounds like AT&T, the way you describe what you see in the mobile settings.

AT&T does not allow you to force a lower network. They haven't in years - always locking out access to that part of the settings.

I don't know how the app Mustang7757 suggests would get around that, but it's worth a shot.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What carrier?

Sounds like AT&T, the way you describe what you see in the mobile settings.

AT&T does not allow you to force a lower network. They haven't in years - always locking out access to that part of the settings.

I don't know how the app Mustang7757 suggests would get around that, but it's worth a shot.
Tap more network settings in that app

Choose perfered network typeScreenshot_20210605-005044_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210605-004955_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210605-004945_Settings.jpg

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Very differently organized on a branded AT&T phone. This is how it is on my S20 FE. But similar on my previous S9 and S8.

Nowhere to set preferred network. Does that app open those settings up? Screenshot_20210605-000501_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20210605-000506_Call%20settings.jpg

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes that app open those settings, I'm on Att at the moment
Good to know. I'll have to remember that the next time this comes up.

Personally, I'm have no need to drop the network level. Heck, I'm happy AT&T finally realised I have a 5G phone and they finally activated it on my account. Now I get "5G" on it. For the past 2 months, I was still getting just "4G-LTE" and the occasional fake "5G-E" in certain parts of town. But, I got that 5G-E on my S9 too. Regular 5G has been active over much of South Louisiana for a while. Only New Orleans (not where I am) has "5G+"... at the Superdome, and I assume that's their mm wave version.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Good to know. I'll have to remember that the next time this comes up.

Personally, I'm have no need to drop the network level. Heck, I'm happy AT&T finally realised I have a 5G phone and they finally activated it on my account. Now I get "5G" on it. For the past 2 months, I was still getting just "4G-LTE" and the occasional fake "5G-E" in certain parts of town. But, I got that 5G-E on my S9 too. Regular 5G has been active over much of South Louisiana for a while. Only New Orleans (not where I am) has "5G+"... at the Superdome, and I assume that's their mm wave version.
I remember getting the fake 5ge in NY lol
Haven't seen 5G+ but 5G been good through NY and NJ for Att , also have TMobile which has been little better with 5g compared Att .

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Plus the fact 3G is going away soon. You can not use 3G in alot of places already. Carriers have already started to shut down 3G towers. I had a galaxy S9 and could no longer use 3G cause it was no longer available in my area. Now that you have phone can use VoLte, all Carriers are only going to use 4G & 5G. And yes this is forcing people to "have" to get new phones.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried calling AT&T to see if there is something on their end that might need to be addressed?
The OP never mentioned a carrier. I'm just assuming AT&T based on not having the ability to set what network to use. I don't know if any other carrier does that.

truongan916

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
wow thank you for the help guys, what a great community. I will try the app and give an update. I'm on cricket wireless using AT&T phone. The phone used to have the options to lower it down to 3G but after an update I did recently those options are gone. My phone constantly crashes with LTE so 3G is my only option.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
wow thank you for the help guys, what a great community. I will try the app and give an update. I'm on cricket wireless using AT&T phone. The phone used to have the options to lower it down to 3G but after an update I did recently those options are gone. My phone constantly crashes with LTE so 3G is my only option.
Cool let us know!

truongan916

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
it's working great :) no more crashing after turning off LTE. This will extend the life of my old phone a bit before I have to upgrade, thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d