Unable to block caller ID

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi guys, let's test the collective knowledge with this tricky one. Someone keeps calling me but the caller ID is not just numbers but has a letter in it, i.e. NXXXXX where the X's are numbers. These could be calls from some online telephone calling application.
The phone (Galaxy 22 Ultra) is unable to block it since it is not actually a number but a combination with letters. Hence not recognised by the operating system as a caller ID (or so is my theory on failure). Reported these calls as spam/fraud but not sure what this reporting does.
Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unable to block a very strange caller ID

When you go to your recent calls and tap on any of those calls, do you see a number there? What about in the info button below (should pop up a contact-like card)? If the block doesn't work (but does give you the option), it's likely these are calls from different numbers and the registry just has random names associated with them.

The 'Report spam' option does just that: report it to the spam filter service. Enough of these reports, and a number can start being flagged as spam (but if not enough reports are received, then they won't take action as there is not enough 'evidence' for them to do that).

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Re: Unable to block a very strange caller ID

Screenshot_20230203_090648_Phone.jpg

It is definitely the ONLY caller ID i get coming through and it is always the same, so no randomness.

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Sorry but can't see how DND can be applied just to one number which is not even a number but a combination of a letter and numbers. Here lies the root of the evil, i believe. A very clever calling application which is not easy to block, if possible at all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another option would be to Add that to your own Contacts, and then use the option within the contact to route all of their calls to voicemail. Is that caller ever leaving a voicemail? If not, then this should at least stop you from having the hassle of the phone ringing whenever the number tries to call you.

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Thanks. My voicemail is not activated anyway. Saved into the Contacts but do not see any options for handling the calls. Maybe because it is not a set of digits calling but a set of letters and digits and the phone simply does not recognise it..

REALLY WEIRD.

Any more ideas?

Even called the provider who said they cannot block anything and that i need to speak to the police!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open your Contacts app and bring up that contact, then tap More. What options do you see? Show us a screenshot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm -- what storage location is that contact saved to? Mine are saved to my Google account, if that makes any difference.

It's interesting that the N024201 shows up as "Other." I think you've been right all along -- it does seem like it's being regarded as the "phone number", even though there's a letter in it.:confused: Let me do a little more Google Fu to see what I can find ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So far, this is all I could find -- a post about getting calls from a number that starts with a "V": https://productioncommunity.publicm...hone-numbers-What-is-going/td-p/296822/page/2 People there were also convinced that it was the Caller ID name, not number -- but again, in your case, the real number should've shown up in the contact details.

EDIT: Looks like the "V" has to do with Verified Caller ID, at least on some carriers: www.xfinity.com/support/articles/verified-caller-id. Still no mention of "N", though.

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for trying to help. I had also gone to look for similar cases and seen the V reports. But looks different to my case and that's why i came here :).
Will fiddle with the contact storage locations and let you know if any luck.

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
No luck. Saved it as a contact to the google account and no change. Cannot apply any rules to this caller ID and hence cannot block/ silence it...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No luck. Saved it as a contact to the google account and no change. Cannot apply any rules to this caller ID and hence cannot block/ silence it...

It puzzles me that the carrier has no idea and just told you to call the police (like, what the heck are the police gonna do?!?). Try calling your carrier support back and ask them if they can identify a true phone number related to that caller, or if the N024201 is considered the actual phone number.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but can't see how DND can be applied just to one number which is not even a number but a combination of a letter and numbers. Here lies the root of the evil, i believe. A very clever calling application which is not easy to block, if possible at all.

One workaround (suggested to me by @mustang7757) would be to set DND to make an exception for anyone in your Contacts list (which, of course, means you'd have to remove that spam caller from your contacts). This means that you might miss legit calls from number not in your contact list, but if they are a legit caller, they should leave a voicemail, and then you could subsequently add them to your contacts.

Superbazuka

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Yes, looks like the only option remaining until this wave of silly calls blows over.

Thanks for looking into this guys, and please let me know if new ideas or similar experiences arise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlgulliver