Unlock a moto g play XT2093DL to use any cell companys service

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
These cheap phones are offered by the MVNO at that low price largely because the customer is expected to use their service for at least 6 months, which helps recoup the loss from selling the phone so cheap. That's what I mean by comparing it to a lease. You're not bringing the phone in for a repair when you try to unlock it -- you're essentially trying to get out of the terms of agreement that were part of the original transaction.

Anyway, the fact is that there are many 3rd parties out there that claim to sell codes to carrier unlock a phone. Some of them work, some of them don't -- we certainly see posts here from people complaining that a code they paid for didn't do anything, but it's hard to tell what percentage of these codes fail. So the options are to follow the original carrier's unlock policy, or take your chances with one of these 3rd parties.

I'm curious about your suggestion to research these 3rd parties -- do you have any reliable review sites in mind? I would think that if a person Googled "best phone unlock service", they'd be inundated with lots of results from self-serving or shady websites, and it'd be very hard to find truly objective review sites.
1. Like I said earlier, prepaid MVNOs don't deal in contracts, so neither do they give 60-80% discounts on the full retail price when they sell a device. It's more like a 10-25% discount, off what the manufacturer's full MSRP is. And Tracfone's unlock policy is 12 months which is ridiculous because it's double what the next highest carrier's policy is (Metro, at 6 months).

2. Google, Yelp, and TrustPilot are all great objective review sites. But even a site like Facebook can be objective because you can click on the person's profile and see their info and history to make sure they're a real person, and not a fake profile that the company created in order to leave themselves a good review. What you want to stay away from is reviews that are only published on the company's own site and not linked from somewhere else, and therefore offer no way to verify that it was a real person who had a real experience there