Unlocked or T-Mobile?

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Was hoping someone could help me understand.

If I went for the unlocked HTC 10 rather than the T-Mobile version, would I potentially be missing out on something that the T-Mobile version would provide?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If it wasn't HTC, I'd be worried about features like VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. If they follow what they did with the unlocked A9, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Meet the Unlocked HTC One A9 | HTC United States

Unlocked devices usually don't support services such as Voice over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling, Mobile Hotspot and LTE Carrier Aggregation. Does the HTC One A9 Unlocked edition support those services?

Yes, unlike other mobile phone manufacturers, HTC is proud to offer the best user experience to our customers. We support Voice Services over LTE (VoLTE), Wi-Fi Calling, Mobile Hotspot and Carrier Aggregation. Our HTC One A9 has been built from the ground up for the North America customers and wireless networks. Some services may require the feature to be supported by your mobile operator before it will function on the HTC One A9.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Visual Voicemail (t-mobile's version) perhaps? My t-mobile branded GS6 really doesn't have much t-mobile bloat. It has by far more Samsung bloat...so I'm not too afraid of a t-mobile branded one. I would say, that with $100 off right now? I'll be getting the HTC one for the Uh-Oh protection...

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Visual Voicemail (t-mobile's version) perhaps? My t-mobile branded GS6 really doesn't have much t-mobile bloat. It has by far more Samsung bloat...so I'm not too afraid of a t-mobile branded one. I would say, that with $100 off right now? I'll be getting the HTC one for the Uh-Oh protection...

That's a good point, the visual voicemail. Although I suspect we can either download it the play store or get the apk and side load it, so not overly worried.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Mo Versi confirmed on twitter that the unlocked version will support VoLTE and Wifi Calling, as well as Band 12. Just ordered the Carbon Carbon Grey with the $100 off code.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Would we still get T-Mobile's new Enhanced Voice Service (EVS) or advanced text messaging with an unlocked vs carrier version? Hmm.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you would get WiFi calling and maybe a few other things. If you're planning on buying the phone outright (full price) you could get the T-Mobile version and just have them unlock it after a few days. I did that with my S7 edge :).

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm in that case I almost may as well pre-order. Except that I'm going away the first week of May anyway, so 8 may as well wait until I get back. I don't care about advanced texting. EVS I MIGHT care about if the rest of my family wasn't stuck on AT&T and their junk codecs.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you would get WiFi calling and maybe a few other things. If you're planning on buying the phone outright (full price) you could get the T-Mobile version and just have them unlock it after a few days. I did that with my S7 edge :).

Per Quantify's post, I looked up Mo Versi's tweet (which i can't link since twitter is blocked at work), and he does say Wi-Fi calling (as well as VoLTE and Band 12) will be fully supported.
Someone asked a follow-up "aside from software are there any differences between TMo and Unlocked HTC10" to which the official HTC USA twitter account responded: "Aside from a few additional carrier apps, no".

Pre-ordered my unlocked for T-MobileCan't wait!

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would tell you to wait and see what T-Mobile 's prettiest sale offers. S7 had bogo free, and VR visit; g5 had spare battery, charger, and $200 camera. They may join with HTC to offer something cool now.

From the T-Mobile unboxing I saw, you probably won't get the new headphones if you buy from T-Mobile, but you won't get T-Mobile insurance support or jump on demand if you buy from HTC.

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would tell you to wait and see what T-Mobile 's prettiest sale offers. S7 had bogo free, and VR visit; g5 had spare battery, charger, and $200 camera. They may join with HTC to offer something cool now.

From the T-Mobile unboxing I saw, you probably won't get the new headphones if you buy from T-Mobile, but you won't get T-Mobile insurance support or jump on demand if you buy from HTC.

Personally I don't care about the T-Mobile offers since I don't like supporting carrier branded versions with carrier bloat and slow updates. I'm of the opinion that useless carriers have no business messing with the device and they continue to do, so I would like to speak with my wallet and buy the unbranded version irrespective of what T-Mobile offers. I know I'm in very very small minority but if there is an option for unbranded option I always go for it.

jimlloyd40

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can download Visual Voicemail from the Play Store. I'm using it on a Nexus 6P and it works fine.