Unresponsive Touchscreen Discussion

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people can show a different result; using the phone in that manner results in the same behavior every time.

Reading another thread on the issue, it may possibly be related to the hardware version of the phone?

I am having the issue and I have hardware version 2. You can check this by going to Settings>About Phone>Hardware Information. Seems like those reporting the issue have version 2 vs version 3.

xgordox#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love Engadget and read it daily. This s not related to this thread, per se, but an observation.

What I don't like is over the weekend there was a comment on who was paying Engadget to post so much about ESPN the past few days. I responded with the fact that Engadget is owned by AOL which is business partners with ESPN.

Both posts were subsequently deleted from the thread.

They were in no way trolling or inflammatory. Just a simple fact that probably should be disclosed, in my eyes. It's not that it's hard to tell, as it says AOL on the Engadget page, but a standard disclosure would be professional.

Thats funny. I have had the same thing happen to me over at Sci-Fi Wire (SyFy) when I pointed out that they were giving bad reviews to films and shows not owned produced by Universal which owns NBC, which owns SyFy. My posts just disappeared without explaination.

Much like TV, the content is there to fill the spaces between advertisements, nothing more. ;)

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Reading the comments on Giz and Engadget is like extracting my brain out with a spoon. It's terrible how these people jump down other people's throats over the tiniest thing.

Either way, I don't mind if this gets out. Maybe HTC will act faster the more this is known.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention above, is that I clean my screen with iKlear, which supposedly has anti-static capabilities. I have absolutely no idea if that helps or not.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention above, is that I clean my screen with iKlear, which supposedly has anti-static capabilities. I have absolutely no idea if that helps or not.

You should do some testing. Wait a little while and don't use the anti-static spray. Try it on different surfaces, etc. Also, try it with a non android device, Like an Ipod Touch of Iphone. See if you can duplicate it.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Reading another thread on the issue, it may possibly be related to the hardware version of the phone?

I am having the issue and I have hardware version 2. You can check this by going to Settings>About Phone>Hardware Information. Seems like those reporting the issue have version 2 vs version 3.

What I meant was that I don't think that it's a "defect" per se, but some people will some won't. I'd imagine those that don't have the phone will call it a defect because it can be easily made to look that way when those with the phone know it's easy to get around it.

I look at it as an environmental issue like phones that can't be used in bright sunlight, only this issue is much easier to get around. It's not a defect, it's just a limitation of the technology.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing to fix. Until I see a report that tells me the exact temperature, conductivity of the surface in question (along with reading from an ohm meter between the surface and service entry ground point), the load on the battery and the exact RH, this is working as intended.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing to fix. Until I see a report that tells me the exact temperature, conductivity of the surface in question (along with reading from an ohm meter between the surface and service entry ground point), the load on the battery and the exact RH, this is working as intended.

Hang tight :p

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have "hardware 002" ... what's the difference?!

002: has nifty grey sparkly battery cover, and backlight fades out nicely. 30 frames-per-second
003: plain black cover, and I guess the backlight doesn't fade out. 28 fps.

hahaha, 003 got the shaft.

Last edited:

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading engadget for years, for awhile there I liked them better than Gizmodo.

But publishing a few bad stories about Android & EVO the day before the iPhone Pre-order just begs the fact that they could have waited to post those stories until the day before to get anyone on the fence to go iphone route.

I cant take any editor seriously that doesn't list the devices downfalls and its positives, but all I hear on engadget is Apple fanboyism.

Thank god Giz has toned it down.

Edit:

Heres some bad AT&T / Apple Press

http://gizmodo.com/5564262/apple-iphone-4-order-security-breach-exposes-private-information

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have no problem bringing down the notifications with the Evo sitting on my desk, and m3 touching nothing but the screen. Ditto with it sitting on my desk chair.

edit: I just tried it again with the phone sitting on a pad of paper. Works perfectly. I don't know what these people are smoking.

Both of the units in that so-called "test" had screen protectors on. Perhaps those are reducing sensitivity of the touch screen. If so, you'd have to blame the screen protectors, not the phone.

This is just another example of engadget crapping on anything that isn't from Apple. Which begs the question: have the done the exact same test on a Apple, with the same screen protector? If they did, they're not sharing the results. If they didn't, why not?

No one should take anything from engadget seriously if it involves either an Apple device, or something that competes with an Apple device.

Last edited:

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem bringing down the notifications with the Evo sitting on my desk, and m3 touching nothing but the screen. Ditto with it sitting on my desk chair.

edit: I just tried it again with the phone sitting on a pad of paper. Works perfectly. I don't know what these people are smoking.

Both of the units in that so-called "test" had screen protectors on. Perhaps those are reducing sensitivity of the touch screen. If so, you'd have to blame the screen protectors, not the phone.

This is just another example of engadget crapping on anything that isn't from Apple. Which begs the question: have the done the exact same test on a Apple, with the same screen protector? If they did, they're not sharing the results. If they didn't, why not?

No one should take anything from engadget seriously if it involves either an Apple device, or something that competes with an Apple device.

I had the invisible shield on the phone with the touchscreen problem. I also thought it might have been the shield so I took it off. Sensitivity got better but I am still having the issue with the top part of the screen if I place it on something that is completely non-conductive like my bed. It works fine even on my granite countertop but when I googled granite, found out granite does conduct electricity.

I think the admin of this forum posted a video of his evo on his bed and it works fine which leads me to think that there is a batch of these phones out there (like mine) that are having issues with the touchscreen.

I don't buy into the whole conspiracy theory about an apple bias. The video that Engadget posted in that article was actually posted on this forum the night before that article was posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello