Upgrade fee: What a load of crap, Verizon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You know what, now that I think about it when I got my Moto X, I did pay an upgrade fee but, no activation fee. Verizon as whole is not completely terrible. I like their new $45 plan though. If I had my own plan, I would use it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: What a load of crap, Verizon....

Because you paid the fee and had it credited back instead of never paying the fee in the first place, Cozume will tell you that's not the same thing as getting the fee waived.

Call it whatever you want it gets refunded. I could care less if its a credit or not as its still $30 that I didn't end up spending.

Even if Verizon would do it one way or another for any reason its still done and I don't end up paying the fee. We can each have our own opinion of what waiving the fee is and if its different from a credit. To me its the same because I didn't pay for it in the end. To each their own though.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Call it whatever you want it gets refunded. I could care less if its a credit or not as its still $30 that I didn't end up spending.
If you call up and complain about anything and are a good customer in good standing they will give you the $30 courtesy credit. There is a limit though on the number of courtesy credits per account they will give you. I know you can get at least 2 each year. How many more than that they will give you idk.

So if you use up all of your courtesy credits on the upgrade fee complaints, you won't get them for other complaints.

I used up 1 of my courtesy credits this year already complaining about a restocking fee. So by your logic I can say that Verizon only charges a $5 restocking fee since you can call up and complain about it and get the $30 courtesy credit when you do.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

If you call up and complain about anything and are a good customer in good standing they will give you the $30 courtesy credit. There is a limit though on the number of courtesy credits per account they will give you. I know you can get at least 2 each year. How many more than that they will give you idk.

So if you use up all of your courtesy credits on the upgrade fee complaints, you won't get them for other complaints.

I used up 1 of my courtesy credits this year already complaining about a restocking fee. So by your logic I can say that Verizon only charges a $5 restocking fee since you can call up and complain about it and get the $30 courtesy credit when you do.

As I said I didn't pay the $30. I am not arguing with your opinion at all. My point is that I feel if they credit me the fee then its been waived. Yes, the terms have different meanings but I didn't pay for it and came out ahead. Not saying my terminology is correct but its the way I look at it personally.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

No, you are wrong. An activation fee is paid only on a NEW LINE.

That's correct because you were UPGRADING TO A NEW PHONE, not adding a new line. There is ALWAYS an upgrade fee. Activation fees are sometimes waived, upgrade fees are NEVER waived.

they are not playing games; you just don't understand the difference between an activation fee for opening a new line ($35 and sometimes waivable) and an upgrade fee for getting a subsidized phone on an existing line ($30 and never waivable). Now with my explanation, you know.

Where are you going to go where you will get truly unthrottled, unlimited data? Um, nowhere. So you will either stay right where you are or downgrade your service to something lesser. Verizon will be glad to see you go, too. They want to get rid of all of the UDPs. So bye-bye, Verizon wants you gone.

Not trying to be mean here, but the difference between an activation fee and an upgrade fee is not game playing and the reality is that if you have an UDP on Verizon, you are lucky. If you want to give it up, that is your choice, but I would advise you to sell it as they are that valuable that people will buy them from you. Verizon wants you to leave if you have an UDP so they won't be crying over you finding a new carrier.

Verizon apologists are the ones who ruin it for the rest of us. You can say how it's "business as usual" but that's nonsense. Accepting all of these nickel and dime fees are not worth the service like everyone says it is. The ONLY way i'd pay for Verizon is if I had a job that took me all over the country often. Like a pilot, truck driver, etc.. I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk with a T-Mobile Sim a few months ago, and I couldn't be happier. No more nonsense fees and my entire monthly bill is barely over that one upgrade fee. No amount of quality service is worth the rape that occurs as a Verizon customer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Verizon apologists are the ones who ruin it for the rest of us. You can say how it's "business as usual" but that's nonsense. Accepting all of these nickel and dime fees are not worth the service like everyone says it is. The ONLY way i'd pay for Verizon is if I had a job that took me all over the country often. Like a pilot, truck driver, etc.. I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk with a T-Mobile Sim a few months ago, and I couldn't be happier. No more nonsense fees and my entire monthly bill is barely over that one upgrade fee. No amount of quality service is worth the rape that occurs as a Verizon customer.

For the record, AT&T and Sprint both have $36 "upgrade" fees.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Verizon apologists are the ones who ruin it for the rest of us.
That's right; it is my fault that the federal government has allowed the US cell phone industry to become controlled by an oligopoly. LOL!

Hey look, if you can't afford Verizon's network, then I am glad you have found a place where you can be happy. TMobile has terrible coverage where I live and it isn't an option for me.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

For the record, AT&T and Sprint both have $36 "upgrade" fees.
And Tmobile had one, too before they eliminated subsidized phones. As another poster pointed out, Verizon was the last of the major carriers to institute an upgrade fee.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

they are SALES associates. Just doing their jobs, which btw, works on most people. Just not people who post here (but we are in the minority).

Lying to customers is part of the job description?

This one was definitely shady. After I made it abundantly clear we weren't buying any new car chargers, I said I'd buy a TYLT charger.

She put the screen protector on the phone ("Okay, we'll take it"), then rang up the screen protector, bumper case, TYLT and a car charger.

WHUCK? I immediately said to cancel the accessories so we could just get out of the store with the phone before I blew a gasket.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Lying to customers is part of the job description?

This one was definitely shady. After I made it abundantly clear we weren't buying any new car chargers, I said I'd buy a TYLT charger.

She put the screen protector on the phone ("Okay, we'll take it"), then rang up the screen protector, bumper case, TYLT and a car charger.

WHUCK? I immediately said to cancel the accessories so we could just get out of the store with the phone before I blew a gasket.
well if she were lying, then yes you have a point. I have never felt like I have been lied to, but I sure have been given out a lot of wrong information. Just ignorance, not lies, though.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

IME, most older people are technotards. IME pretty much only retired engineers of that generation aren't. And so many of them are resistant to even trying to learn. Not that there aren't plenty of technotards who are young, there are, but fewer so due to the simple fact that most of the younger generation have used computers and other electronics from a very young age.

I'm not quite ready for retirement, but I find that many younger people are technotards, too.

Too many parents of my generation tried to do everything for their kids, who grew into adults who don't know how to do anything and would rather whine than learn.

I briefly hired an office temp who threw tantrums when he chose the wrong tray when sending documents to the printer, and couldn't figure out how to include a return envelope with legal documents. ("No, you put one stamp on the envelope with MY address, and put it in the envelope addressed to the court, along with the original and two copies. The clerk will stamp the copies and use the envelope with ONE stamp to send them back to me. You need to put more postage on the OUTSIDE envelope because it has all that other stuff inside it.")

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm not quite ready for retirement, but I find that many younger people are technotards, too.
I agree, they typically use iPhones because they are so simple to learn. But really, if you are nearing age 65, then you know people of your generation who aren't engineers or scientists or otherwise have to use technology as part of their jobs by and large, they are frightened by computers. Even many doctors and lawyers of your generation still use dictaphones and can't use a word processor. Not all of course, but many. Just took my mom to the doctor yesterday and he is 75 yo and still using a dictaphone because he can't type! So his practice incurs all the extra expense of a medical transcriptionist.

Too many parents of my generation tried to do everything for their kids, who grew into adults who don't know how to do anything and would rather whine than learn.
yeah, that is why Apple does so well - its ***** proof!

I briefly hired an office temp who threw tantrums when he chose the wrong tray when sending documents to the printer, and couldn't figure out how to include a return envelope with legal documents. ("No, you put one stamp on the envelope with MY address, and put it in the envelope addressed to the court, along with the original and two copies. The clerk will stamp the copies and use the envelope with ONE stamp to send them back to me. You need to put more postage on the OUTSIDE envelope because it has all that other stuff inside it.")
What your local courts don't require electronic filing?!?!?!!?

Seriously, even the stodgy legal profession is moving away from the US mail and courts are requiring that everything be filed electronically.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

well if she were lying, then yes you have a point. I have never felt like I have been lied to, but I sure have been given out a lot of wrong information. Just ignorance, not lies, though.

If you look at it that way, I guess the people who offered "free personality tests" on my college campus weren't lying when they said Scientology isn't a cult, either, because they didn't realize they were cult members.

Come to think of it, the VZW salesperson had the same thousand-yard stare...

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

If you look at it that way, I guess the people who offered "free personality tests" on my college campus weren't lying when they said Scientology isn't a cult, either, because they didn't realize they were cult members.
The only difference between a cult and a religion is whether or not you believe in its tenets.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Just to save everyone from more exhaustion from this thread I'm going to call it done.

Thanks to those who participated in a good manor.

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.