Urgent!! I am dizzy with this situation.

lokafreel

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
hello everyone, my cellphone suddenly died even though the battery is still 66% then I bought a new battery but the result is still the same, still dead too, my question is: 1. Is my cell phone broken? 2. Is my battery broken? I am dizzy with this situation, I post here using my friend's cellphone. thanks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. We'll need a bit more info about your situation to really have an answer.

What is the make and model of the phone?

When it shuts off and you plug it back in, has the charge level indicator dropped a lot? I.e. Going from 66% to 2% when plugged back in.

Is the new battery direct from the OEM or other authorized source, or a place like Amazon (which could have counterfeits mixed in)? On a related note, is the new battery supposed to be OEM, or third party?

It could simply be a run of bad batteries, or it could be a hardware issue inside the phone. Right now it's impossible to tell and any guesses would be a shot in the dark. Answering the above questions will help us help you, but don't be surprised if the answers lead to more questions. Not every simple question has a simple answer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a dendrite: https://phys.org/news/2018-10-whisk...to these,separator in alithium metal battery. It is a little odd that the same thing happened to a replacement battery as well, but those replacements have probably been sitting around on a shelf for a while as well (the phone is 5 years old, so the battery replacements are probably around that old as well), so they may have degraded the same way.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
thank you Mooncatt for answering, Samsung Galaxy (SM-G318HZ) cellphone, when the cellphone dies the battery is 0% instantly if plugged in. For batrei I don't know if it's OEM, here is the battery photo

https://prnt.sc/stei13

https://prnt.sc/steiwt

https://prnt.sc/stej3j
I made a circle in your screen shot, that ma flow shows 0 I don't like that , should show some activity with phone on , I think the replacement battery is bad , like B. Diddy mentioned probably replacement battery you find are going be same thing .20200604_002906.jpeg

lokafreel

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like a dendrite: https://phys.org/news/2018-10-whisk...to these,separator in alithium metal battery. It is a little odd that the same thing happened to a replacement battery as well, but those replacements have probably been sitting around on a shelf for a while as well (the phone is 5 years old, so the battery replacements are probably around that old as well), so they may have degraded the same way.

thank you for the information, but I am not very familiar with cellphones, what is the conclusion whether the battery is broken or the cellphone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
thank you for the information, but I am not very familiar with cellphones, what is the conclusion whether the battery is broken or the cellphone?

It sounds like the battery. You can always try another replacement, but there's a decent chance another replacement could be bad. At this point, it may be best to get a newer phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I made a circle in your screen shot, that ma flow shows 0 I don't like that , should show some activity with phone on , I think the replacement battery is bad , like B. Diddy mentioned probably replacement battery you find are going be same thing .

This isn't necessarily worrisome. 3C Battery Monitor has several options when it comes to how it records current flow. If set wrong, you could get something like this, or even show charging current when unplugged and vice versa. That can be set during the initial setup, or in the settings for battery monitoring. It's one of the more powerful monitoring tools, but not the most user friendly.

I'm with B. Diddy, though, that it's likely a battery and phone age issue. A dendrite is a growth inside the battery that can cause an internal short, which explains the lack of charge when turned back on. They can become prevalent on older batteries. It acts like a fuse, in that it is destroyed when it shorts out, but can grow back. With this being such an old phone, the chances of finding good batteries is slim to none. All batteries wear out from age even if just sitting on a warehouse shelf, and no one is making new batteries for this phone anymore. You could try buying more batteries, but I feel it'll be wasted money.

Given the relatively ancient specs of the phone, I think your only long term solution is to buy a newer phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This isn't necessarily worrisome. 3C Battery Monitor has several options when it comes to how it records current flow. If set wrong, you could get something like this, or even show charging current when unplugged and vice versa. That can be set during the initial setup, or in the settings for battery monitoring. It's one of the more powerful monitoring tools, but not the most user friendly.

I'm with B. Diddy, though, that it's likely a battery and phone age issue. A dendrite is a growth inside the battery that can cause an internal short, which explains the lack of charge when turned back on. They can become prevalent on older batteries. It acts like a fuse, in that it is destroyed when it shorts out, but can grow back. With this being such an old phone, the chances of finding good batteries is slim to none. All batteries wear out from age even if just sitting on a warehouse shelf, and no one is making new batteries for this phone anymore. You could try buying more batteries, but I feel it'll be wasted money.

Given the relatively ancient specs of the phone, I think your only long term solution is to buy a newer phone.
Ah didn't know that , just seen you replied to me :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers