USB Tether on Froyo cost?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think anyone knows, but I would say if you are not redirected to a web page that asks you to signup for a tethering plan, you are probably not being charged for it. That's just a guess though.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I see that now my Evo offers that when I plug my phone to my computer but is it still free kiker with Easy Tether?

When I plug the (stock 2.2) Evo into my Linux laptop, it does offer tether. So I choose it and the laptop immediately recognizes the connection, connects to it, gets an IP address (usb0 192.168.42.204) and sets up a route (default route set to 192.168.42.129), but I can't go anywhere. On the phone screen, this pops up:

Data Call Failure
Error Code 67. Registration failure. Your PCS Vision username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again.

So I tried again, same thing. Looks to me like Sprint has disabled USB tethering, even though it was my understanding that we would be allowed to do it. I thought I read that Sprint would charge for the multiuser WiFi hotspot, but would allow single user USB tether at no extra charge.

Please, someone prove me wrong...

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Have you attempted to try "EASYTETHER" or PDAnet?

PDAnet is MS-Windows (blech) only. Easytether supports Linux, but it requires special software (which I don't want to have to use) and several commands each time. I so rarely ever need tethering (and I am not ready/willing to root) that I will just try to ignore the whole thing.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I would say if you are not redirected to a web page that asks you to signup for a tethering plan, you are probably not being charged for it. That's just a guess though.

Seems Sprint doesn't do anything that friendly. They just barf a cryptic error 67 message about your password (???!!!??!!) and then the phone pretends to be tethered (which it is, but you can't get outside the local network).

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read that Sprint would charge for the multiuser WiFi hotspot, but would allow single user USB tether at no extra charge.

Please, someone prove me wrong...

You thought wrong. A Sprint rep told me to my face that no form of tethering is allowed unless you pay the $30/month fee.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You thought wrong. A Sprint rep told me to my face that no form of tethering is allowed unless you pay the $30/month fee.

I am not the only one who thought so: http://www.androidcentral.com/android-central-editors-app-picks-august-5th-2010#comment-55005

"I talked to a Sprint customer service rep and they said that USB tethering is free, but that Sprint has disabled the hotspot feature of Froyo and only allows the $30/month Sprint Hotspot."

I have seen stuff like that written in several places.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
PDAnet is MS-Windows (blech) only. Easytether supports Linux, but it requires special software (which I don't want to have to use) and several commands each time. I so rarely ever need tethering (and I am not ready/willing to root) that I will just try to ignore the whole thing.

PDAnet actually is not Windows only. It also supports OS X.

No one uses Linux for a home system so there's no demand for that :p

prevok

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Download free pdanet from the market then download from june fabric tech installer works fine with windows 7 but the bluetooth tethering is another story. Just surfing the web is great until the trial period ends and wont allow any https secure sites but you still can use non secure sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles