Use phone to backup external SD Card to External Hard Drive?

TazzyTazzyMS

Jul 1, 2020
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Samsung S10+. I'd like to copy my drone's micro SD Card to a portable external hard drive. Is this possible?

I'm thinking to use some sort of USB C OTG (on the go) hub that has a micro SD Card along with a USB port so that I can plug in a hard drive as well.

Is this possible/doable? Can anyone recommend a USB C hub that would allow this? Would like to have one that powers the harddrive/phone during this process. I'll be backing up 256GB micro SD cards to a 5TB external hard drive. The external drive does not have a power plug and needs to be powered by the USB cable.

Do you think this device would work (amazon, non-affiliate link):
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6811387

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely possible to copy from an SD card that's inside the phone to an external drive (assuming it's formatted correctly). However, I'm not sure you can access two external devices at once... If you can, you will probably need to power the hub with a battery, and the transfer will be slow.

TazzyTazzyMS

Jul 1, 2020
Visit site
If you can, you will probably need to power the hub with a battery, and the transfer will be slow.

The linked USB has micro USB power input. I'm assuming it'll only provide minimal power and may not even be enough to power the phone and hard drive.

I'm looking for a cheap solution to backup the video files from the drone while I'm traveling. I thought perhaps I can re-use an external drive versus having to buy a dedicated device for this. On my Asia travels, there's many days without internet so I can't simply upload the files using an SD Card reader alone. I also don't bring a laptop with me and try to travel as light as possible.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It'll probably be easiest to put the SD card in the phone and connect the external drive to the usb port on your phone.

It's a bit of a hassle because the micro SD is in the SIM tray. But it means you're carrying less gear and it'll probably be lot faster to transfer files.

yuanyasmine

Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
The Orico USB-3 hub has three USB-3 ports and an SD card slot + a micro SD card slot.

Provided your phone has a USB port that supports OTG it will work well. If your phone's USB port doesn't support OTG you can get a OTG adapter for a few bucks.

I have even used it to back up to a Toshiba external HD, but that drains the phone battery rather quickly.

I use this arrangement every time i go 'bush'. Every day I make a copy of the SD card to a new folder on one USB memory stick and then copy the copy to a second USB memory stick to be sure to be sure. I then format the SD card in my camera.

I can then view and play with the images via my phone.