Using Hangouts for SMS/Texts/MMS is really going to take some getting used to

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that's preventing me from using Hangouts as my main SMS app is that it doesn't integrate SMS/Hangout chat messages together. I hate how there are two separate conversation threads per contact if I chat to them both with SMS and Hangouts chat (previously Google Talk).

Once they fix that, then I'll start using it again.

japyon

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I use hangout as my main SMS with all my friends, however, all my other friends are on iPhone.

I was hoping hangout will ease the group text between iOS group text and android, but it's still not working.
I will get 4-5 "touch to download" msg on hangout from the group text and I can't even see what they said.

I fed up and told my friend to exclude me from iMessage group text from now on, and just text me end result of the conversation :p

Yet, is there any alternative text app out there that deal with iMessage group text well? on android?

Only all my friends are willing to DL and install hang out, but they are not doing that just for me, apparently

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I've honestly not received group messages consistently regardless of what messaging app I've tried

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

6sigma

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Switched to Textra for the following reasons:

1. when someone includes a link to a YouTube video in a tweet & you want to then text that video to someone else, Hangouts bogs down with addressing the text.
2. Hangouts won't save a pair of photos when they are texted to me in a single text. Only one pic per text.
3. Finally, I can't save a video when it is attached to a text. Hangouts "archives" it.

One example: pick a YouTube video, click on the share icon, choose the Hangouts app from the list, then try to address the text to someone who isn't in the "recently texted" list. All of that is terribly cumbersome.

Not griping...just switching until Hangouts gets some more updating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DaveG67

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone heard if there is currently a fix in the works in regards to the character limit on SMS/MMS with Sprint and Hangouts? Still unable to write novels as texts. Having to break them down individually. I believe the limit was 160 characters.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to use Hangouts as my messaging app but I have other Hangout I'm in. I would want to use something like Notifier Pro to get screen on alerts but as of right now my screen would be on the majority of the day because of the other hangouts.....lol

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to use Hangouts as my messaging app but I have other Hangout I'm in. I would want to use something like Notifier Pro to get screen on alerts but as of right now my screen would be on the majority of the day because of the other hangouts.....lol

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3

Notifications can be turned on/off on a per hangout basis, so I have one group hangout with notifications (it's usually pretty relaxed) and all other ground hangouts are muted. Actually, most individual ones are too. For some reason I have almost 200 unopened hangouts. I WOULD like an easy way to clear all from my active hangout list, rather than archiving each one at at time.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Notifications can be turned on/off on a per hangout basis, so I have one group hangout with notifications (it's usually pretty relaxed) and all other ground hangouts are muted. Actually, most individual ones are too. For some reason I have almost 200 unopened hangouts. I WOULD like an easy way to clear all from my active hangout list, rather than archiving each one at at time.
I don't like missing out on what's going on in the Hangouts I'm in.....lol

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that's preventing me from using Hangouts as my main SMS app is that it doesn't integrate SMS/Hangout chat messages together. I hate how there are two separate conversation threads per contact if I chat to them both with SMS and Hangouts chat (previously Google Talk).

Once they fix that, then I'll start using it again.

This was one of the first things I noticed when they rolled out the SMS integration and thought it was odd they did that instead of merging them. However, for the time being, I believe they might have done this intentionally. The reason being, since SMS is device only and doesn't sync between other devices, but hangouts via google account does, it would mean part of the conversation wouldn't be there on other devices yet it would on the phone.

Once they offer a way to sync SMS as well, I have a feeling we'll see the merged conversations.

numb3rmonkey

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard if there is currently a fix in the works in regards to the character limit on SMS/MMS with Sprint and Hangouts? Still unable to write novels as texts. Having to break them down individually. I believe the limit was 160 characters.

Play Store shows 2.0.3 was released today to fix the 160 character limit on Sprint but didn't auto-update and didn't give me an option to update so I downloaded and installed the apk from the web and it works. We can now type novels.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Play Store shows 2.0.3 was released today to fix the 160 character limit on Sprint but didn't auto-update and didn't give me an option to update so I downloaded and installed the apk from the web and it works. We can now type novels.

Just to add to this, Google pretty always rolls it's updates out in stages, so despite the fact that you can see a newer version in Play Store, it may not become available for your specific device for a few days.

If you don't want to wait, you can usually grab the .apk file and install it manually, there is absolutely nothing shady about doing this (you're not hacking anything nor is root required), though you should be sure to only download apk files from reputable sources. Android Police, is in my opinion, the best place to look for grabbing Google apps apk files if you want to install them immediately instead of waiting.

Here is the aforementioned Google Hangouts update: [APK Download] Hangouts Updated To v2.0.303, Fixes More MMS And SMS Bugs

DaveG67

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Looks like my prayers were answered, lol. I got the notification today to update via Play Store. Currently writing my first novel.

klemen_m

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Looks like that I'm one of the few that likes using Hangouts for text messages. Tried HoverChat and hello sms for a few days and while HoverChat is not that bad, hello sms lagged when sliding from tabs to "messaging window." Might give HoverChat another try somday, but for now I'm staying on Hangouts.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like that I'm one of the few that likes using Hangouts for text messages. Tried HoverChat and hello sms for a few days and while HoverChat is not that bad, hello sms lagged when sliding from tabs to "messaging window." Might give HoverChat another try somday, but for now I'm staying on Hangouts.

You aren't the only one. I like using Hangouts too. I think that the app is really slick. I like the UI and the functionality. I haven't had any issues at all. And now that video chat is integrated with SMS, it just makes things a lot simpler.

omegatek

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I like hangouts and would like to use it as my primary sms... but there is 1 annoying issue I can't find a solution to.
I can't seem to find a way to select my group contacts from my gmail.
I setup a bunch of groups in my gmail contact list (ie: accounting group, employees, volunteer group, etc)
Some people belong to multiple groups.
No matter what, I can't seem to select a group of people tagged in my gmail contact list.
These are groups and not circles.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I like hangouts and would like to use it as my primary sms... but there is 1 annoying issue I can't find a solution to.
I can't seem to find a way to select my group contacts from my gmail.
I setup a bunch of groups in my gmail contact list (ie: accounting group, employees, volunteer group, etc)
Some people belong to multiple groups.
No matter what, I can't seem to select a group of people tagged in my gmail contact list.
These are groups and not circles.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Converting the groups to circles would do it.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
OK - here's a question - being new to GSM - WhereTF do i store my SIM tool without losing it? and are these things a big deal? in the many unboxing videos i watched i saw a lot of oohs and awwws when they saw the SIM toool like it was a 5 carat diamond or big nugget of gold.

i keep mine in a folded thin plastic bag with another sim, in my wallet -

IMG_20140322_133016.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny