Using Voice Commands - Can Speakerphone be Activated?

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have yet to find an answer to this anywhere, so hopefully someone is able to shed some light on this....

Can the speakerphone be activated using voice commands?

Let me give an example:
Let's say I'm in the kitchen and my hands are filthy. I have a question about what I'm cooking and want to call Grandma to get her advice (everyone's grandma is a pro in the kitchen, right?). I say "OK, Google Now. Call Grandma."

At this point the phone will place the call, but my hands are still filthy. If there is not a way to enable speakerphone using voice controls, then I still have to wash my hands and pick up the phone in order to have the conversation. This essentially renders the hands-free controls useless for similar situations where I want to place a call.

I would really love if there was some way to do this. Does anyone know if this has been discussed? Is it possible?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
praying-emoticon.gif

cuz then i could check my voicemail with it.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think if you used Google Now to call that it would automatically activate speaker phone with it.
I'm gonna not talk about my grandma. :x

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried it earlier on my GNex. Placing a call using Google Now does not activate speakerphone.

I'm wondering if Motorola added a way on the X, especially since the hands-free operation is a big selling point.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Someone try it for us? i looked online couldn't find anything yay OR nay.

I tried using Google Now on my Droid 4, speaker phone nope. I'm sure Motorola did something like that for the Moto X though. It would make sense. I think it does automatically when it senses your in a car.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I tried using Google Now on my Droid 4, speaker phone nope. I'm sure Motorola did something like that for the Moto X though. It would make sense. I think it does automatically when it senses your in a car.

Thanks so much. What happens when you call someone with the google now? it rings and then you have to push a call button to speak to the user? tia

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've read it turns on speakerphone when in the car. I really hope they implemented it on all calls when using the voice controls. It would only make sense that if you're using voice controls you want it to be hands-free.

Thanks so much. What happens when you call someone with the google now? it rings and then you have to push a call button to speak to the user? tia
If you call someone using Google Now (on current phones) then the call is placed as if you dialed it normally. You have to enable speakerphone manually.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've read it turns on speakerphone when in the car. I really hope they implemented it on all calls when using the voice controls. It would only make sense that if you're using voice controls you want it to be hands-free.

If you call someone using Google Now (on current phones) then the call is placed as if you dialed it normally. You have to enable speakerphone manually.

Thanks so much! : ).

It's funny, i've read/heard more than once from reviewers saying they really like the technology, but with that feeling comes the frustration of running into it's limitations.

i'm going to get very straight in my mind what it can do so that i don't run into that. Alarms, reminders, items on my calendar, writing (not sending) texts, google maps public transportation routes/times (i live in nyc), starting my music player on the phone as i'm going out the door, and a lot of times i need measurement conversions while i'm online. So i'm going to really sear that into my brain now so i don't experience what the 2 guys mentioned in their reviews.

No worries folks, some of the little things with big payoff will be worked out in short order. (calls, checking vm)

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Can easily do it with tasked if it doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Can you elaborate on how it works? Can you set it up to only turn on speakerphone when using the voice commands?

I'm not familiar with that app, and when I search it I only find a to-do list app. Do you mean Tasker?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Can you elaborate on how it works? Can you set it up to only turn on speakerphone when using the voice commands?

I'm not familiar with that app, and when I search it I only find a to-do list app. Do you mean Tasker?

Yes tasker, sorry autocorrect. Auto voice plugin can have a task run based on being on a call or whatever you want, where you can have a profile for a hot word like "speaker phone" or whatever you want turn that feature on through state auto recognized. Probably 5-10 min to set up and test.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes tasker, sorry autocorrect. Auto voice plugin can have a task run based on being on a call or whatever you want, where you can have a profile for a hot word like "speaker phone" or whatever you want turn that feature on through state auto recognized. Probably 5-10 min to set up and test.

i so look forward to all your guys' workarounds when the phone finally gets here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have touchlesss control working on my current device x style using tasker. I think their implementation is probably smoother though, mine can be buggy, I'd say 70-80% success rate.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

That sounds sweet! Thanks for the info!

Hopefully Motorola implemented this as a stock option, but if not there's at least a way around it.

Kelli Putmon

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It is not stock on Moto Droid Maxx, Ultra, or Mini...which means not on X either. They are the same exact UI but without custom hardware like X. Kinda seemed obvious to go in speakerphone while handsfree calling, and if it reads your text outloud while sensing driving, why wouldn't it go in speaker then? But alas it does not. I guess one button push on your phone while driving is better than scrolling through contacts or dialing. Now the messy hands thing is frustrating because I bought this phone thinking it would be good for my husband who tattoos and cannot touch his phone while in his tattoo booth...

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
yes you can do that, go to setting->touchless control, There is option to enable speakerphone automatically when placing a call, Enable that option ..call should be automatically put on speaker mode when calls are made using touchless control. I always have it enabled and is really usefull makes the whole experience touchless.

Hi everyone,

I have yet to find an answer to this anywhere, so hopefully someone is able to shed some light on this....

Can the speakerphone be activated using voice commands?

Let me give an example:
Let's say I'm in the kitchen and my hands are filthy. I have a question about what I'm cooking and want to call Grandma to get her advice (everyone's grandma is a pro in the kitchen, right?). I say "OK, Google Now. Call Grandma."

At this point the phone will place the call, but my hands are still filthy. If there is not a way to enable speakerphone using voice controls, then I still have to wash my hands and pick up the phone in order to have the conversation. This essentially renders the hands-free controls useless for similar situations where I want to place a call.

I would really love if there was some way to do this. Does anyone know if this has been discussed? Is it possible?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
To use speakerphone instead as a default when calling simply go to Settings -> Touchless Control -> Use Speakerphone - just check it. If you don't have a setting for Use Speakerphone, please go to the Play Store and update Touchless Control to the latest version.

*via moto x help pages on motorola.com

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
To use speakerphone instead as a default when calling simply go to Settings -> Touchless Control -> Use Speakerphone - just check it. If you don't have a setting for Use Speakerphone, please go to the Play Store and update Touchless Control to the latest version.
Here's a screenshot from Anandtech

Rr3Lw3u.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37