V40 or OnePlus 6T

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If LG were as serious as they say about software updates then the V40 would have launched on 9.0. That is the showstopper right there.

Pretty sure the OP6t will have a 256gb option which makes the lack of SD less of an issue.

I have an S9+ right now but with Samsung also not interested at all in embracing Project Treble this will be my last Samsung and with LG looking equally uninterested I'll probably be looking at other manufacturers moving forward.

If you want fast updates, get a Pixel. However, you'll be sacrificing hardware and features. To me, hardware is more important.. you can always mod/hack phones and change the software.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
No it DOES matter... If you have to low ohm headphones, you never trigger the amp...

But you DO trigger the DAC and the separate DAC on the V series does provide improved sound quality over the DAC on the Snap Dragon or any other DAC included on a SoC. Remember that the DAC and amp are separate parts of the audio chain. Unless you have a hearing issue, the high power amp should not matter with low ohm head phones.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. I love the hardware and features of the V40 but LG's software and the camera on my pixel 2 are keeping me away

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. I love the hardware and features of the V40 but LG's software and the camera on my pixel 2 are keeping me away

GCam will be extracted from the Pixel 3 and ported over to the V40 so you basically get the same exact camera experience as the pixel. The hardware is there, IMX363 with dual pixel.. install GCam and it's game over. The thing with LG is that you can at least install themes so you can change the UI look, with stock Android you are stuck with the same look forever (I have a pure Android Motorola and I'm getting sick of looking at it, it's too plain). If you really like the Pixel launcher, you can actually install the .apk and it's the same launcher as the Pixel. Keep in mind, LG did in fact create the Pixel 2 XL entirely and provided screens for the 3 XL.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
GCam will be extracted from the Pixel 3 and ported over to the V40 so you basically get the same exact camera experience as the pixel. The hardware is there, IMX363 with dual pixel.. install GCam and it's game over. The thing with LG is that you can at least install themes so you can change the UI look, with stock Android you are stuck with the same look forever (I have a pure Android Motorola and I'm getting sick of looking at it, it's too plain). If you really like the Pixel launcher, you can actually install the .apk and it's the same launcher as the Pixel. Keep in mind, LG did in fact create the Pixel 2 XL entirely and provided screens for the 3 XL.
Yeah, GCam may be the way to go. The only thing I lose then is the full resolution storage.

I hate the Pixel launcher, I use Nova launcher on my Pixel 2. I also don't care for this bland material design 2 look Google is forcing in their apps either. And then there's the gesture navigation they are apparently forcing you to use on the Pixel 3.

I think I may have talked myself right out of the Pixel 3.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, GCam may be the way to go. The only thing I lose then is the full resolution storage.

I hate the Pixel launcher, I use Nova launcher on my Pixel 2. I also don't care for this bland material design 2 look Google is forcing in their apps either. And then there's the gesture navigation they are apparently forcing you to use on the Pixel 3.

I think I may have talked myself right out of the Pixel 3.

Pixel 3 XL: made by Chinese Foxconn, very huge and ugly notch with no customizable options, lacking a headphone jack and micro SD slot so you gotta pay a lot more for onboard storage, only 1 rear camera (no fun), no themes you can install, weird "squeeze" feature you might accidentally trigger, back is made of curved glass entirely and is extremely fragile (YouTube reviewer cracked it by accident).. no drop test standard certification so if you drop it, there goes $900, no manual controls for photos/videos

V40: made in Korea, notch looks nicer and can be customized or turned off completely.. has a headphone jack still with a Quad DAC for the absolute ultimate music listening experience, has 3 omnidirectional mics for the best audio recording experience, BoomBox sound which sounds nice and loud thanks to the sound chamber inside, micro SD slot (plus free 256GB micro SD card if you pre-order early), free $138 value gimble with pre-order, no annoying curved screen so you can install a glass screen protector, 5 camera setup with the newest IMX363 with dual pixel technology, incredibly thin and lightweight design, still has MIL-STD-810G and has been drop tested and less fragile than other phones without it, dedicated Google Assistant button so it's easier and better than Bixby, possibly the best manual mode camera for pictures and video recording

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
dedicated Google Assistant button so it's easier and better than Bixby

The Note9 has a dedicated Bixby button just like the V40's dedicated Google Assistant button. However, a lot of folks I've talked to say Bixby is a huge step down from Google Assistant.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I was also looking at the fact that the GCam can be ported over to the V40. But is it really necessary to do so? or is it more of a matter of preference...

The headphone jack, DAC, and improved screen over my V20 are the main selling points to me. The OnePlus is supposedly releasing usb-c wired headphones to coincide with the release of the 6T...

My question is will it be that much of a downgrade in sound from the LG audio? I'm really interested in the V40 but that teardrop notch, overall design and price of the 6T is really attractive.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The headphone jack, DAC, and improved screen over my V20 are the main selling points to me. The OnePlus is supposedly releasing usb-c wired headphones to coincide with the release of the 6T...

My question is will it be that much of a downgrade in sound from the LG audio? I'm really interested in the V40 but that teardrop notch, overall design and price of the 6T is really attractive.

Nice summary of the benefits to upgrading to a V40. As to your question about sound quality, by the numbers, the V40's sound quality is clearly better. However, how we hear music is subjective. That is why some think that $50.00 headphones sound great and some can't get by with less than what they think is the best regardless of cost.

If you enjoy music and listen frequently, you will notice a difference. The V series has better dynamic range, frequency response and clarity, IME, versus any other phone I have listened to. Is it worth the extra money? For me it is but you will have to decide for yourself.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Nice summary of the benefits to upgrading to a V40. As to your question about sound quality, by the numbers, the V40's sound quality is clearly better. However, how we hear music is subjective. That is why some think that $50.00 headphones sound great and some can't get by with less than what they think is the best regardless of cost.

If you enjoy music and listen frequently, you will notice a difference. The V series has better dynamic range, frequency response and clarity, IME, versus any other phone I have listened to. Is it worth the extra money? For me it is but you will have to decide for yourself.

Thanks for helping me make my decision a little easier. I do put a lot of stock into the audio performance of a device as the V20 is the best sounding phone I've had to date...

I wouldn't mind switching to a device that required USB-C headphones or even the use of a dongle IF the DAC and overall audio output was on par with the V series. I'm spoiled by the DAC in the V20 and I really don't want to be let down by the sound quality of the connected USB- C headphones OnePlus will offer for the 6T.

Besides, the drawback of not being able to use headphones while charging the device unless you're using Bluetooth headphones is a bit of a turn off for me as well.

I've seen plenty of online reviews for the V40. Some think the V40 is great, some think it's good, and some think the device is mediocre for the price LG is asking. The one constant is that the V40 is the best LG device to date although compared to other flagships, LG's best may not be enough...

For me, the V40 seems to check all the boxes and I'm seriously considering picking one up this weekend.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The Note9 has a dedicated Bixby button just like the V40's dedicated Google Assistant button. However, a lot of folks I've talked to say Bixby is a huge step down from Google Assistant.

From what I've heard you have to use Bixby differently. Its very good for conrolling things on the device because of the level of integration it has into the OS at the hardware level. Whereas GA doesn't get that level of control on a Samsung device and is better for search. So it sounds like you have to learn to use both in conjunction. Still sounds like a hassle and something I don't need and I worry that a button will just be there getting in the way. But the stupid squeeze on my Pixel 2 gets triggered a lot on accident to so a button can't be any worse I guess.

That's what I'm wondering. I really like most of what I'm reading on the V40 but if I can get most of the features on the 6T for less money maybe that's the way to go? Things I don't like on the 6T are no rear FP sensor and no headphone jack. So is an extra $200-$300 worth a rear FP sensor, headphone jack, better and more versatile camera setup, better screen? No you won't have bleeding edge updates but does that really matter?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard you have to use Bixby differently. Its very good for conrolling things on the device because of the level of integration it has into the OS at the hardware level. Whereas GA doesn't get that level of control on a Samsung device and is better for search. So it sounds like you have to learn to use both in conjunction. Still sounds like a hassle and something I don't need and I worry that a button will just be there getting in the way. But the stupid squeeze on my Pixel 2 gets triggered a lot on accident to so a button can't be any worse I guess.

That's what I'm wondering. I really like most of what I'm reading on the V40 but if I can get most of the features on the 6T for less money maybe that's the way to go? Things I don't like on the 6T are no rear FP sensor and no headphone jack. So is an extra $200-$300 worth a rear FP sensor, headphone jack, better and more versatile camera setup, better screen? No you won't have bleeding edge updates but does that really matter?

Personally I'd rather spend the extra couple hundred dollars and be happy for the next year.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind switching to a device that required USB-C headphones or even the use of a dongle IF the DAC and overall audio output was on par with the V series. I'm spoiled by the DAC in the V20 and I really don't want to be let down by the sound quality of the connected USB- C headphones OnePlus will offer for the 6T.

Yeah, the whole USB-C use as an audio connection is really in its infancy. One option that I have found interesting is the USB-C dongle made by Razer. The Razer dongle has a built-in external DAC and I have read some positive comments / reviews on its performance. The problem is they sell out very quickly.

If your interested, here is a link: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...le%2Frazer-phone-audio-adapter&token=G8pkLYZM

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... I think the V40 has won me over even before the 6T drops. The headphone, DAC, and that screen...

Although the 6T looks to have a beautiful screen itself, not to mention it comes out the box running 9.0 Pie. But I really love my V20 and if the V40 gives me that same experience but in a "updated" and "upgraded" version, then I know I'll be happy.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The good thing about Bixby is it's local on your phone and not over the cloud, so if you somehow lose signal you can still get assistance. Also, Bixby learns from you and it has a self learning system and improves overtime. Samsung is also rewarding people with Samsung Pay credit for using Bixby and helping improve it. Google gives you nothing.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... I think the V40 has won me over even before the 6T drops. The headphone, DAC, and that screen...

Although the 6T looks to have a beautiful screen itself, not to mention it comes out the box running 9.0 Pie. But I really love my V20 and if the V40 gives me that same experience but in a "updated" and "upgraded" version, then I know I'll be happy.

I'm coming from the V20 as well, can't wait for the V40 to arrive. OnePlus is boring and the specs are overkill.. what are you going to do with 8GB RAM? Plus no headphone jack and no micro SD slot... Lacking so much innovation.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I actually prefer Bixby than Google Assistant, people don't realize it. Bixby is local and not over the cloud so it can work offline. Bixby also has a unique learning system and gets better the more you use it. You can teach Bixby to do anything almost and they are constantly expanding Bixby through user submissions and updates from engineers. They even reward you for using Bixby... Unfortunately, it's only available on Samsung and I'm an LG guy.

Regarding the OP6T.... most of the features? There aren't any features at all, it really is just a basic powerhouse of a phone. No headphone jack, no micro SD, you get what you pay for (or not).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred