Verizon and unlimited data

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
both plans are bad, if I had a choice I would try Tmobile or Sprint because they're the only ones with truly unlimited anymore. However I a haven't played with any sprint or Tmobile devices so I'm not sure what their coverage is like in my area. Plus it would be difficult not to have 4G LTE when I go on vacation hunting in GA,. Some of my friends that go up to Ga with me have sprint and they have to take a 5 mile trip in their trucks just to get service, to me that's just not good because what if I'm hunting and something happens? Say I accidentally fall put of the tree stand, there wouldn't be anyone even looking for at least an hour, if not 2-3 and by then it's getting dark. At least If I have cell service, there's a chance I will have my phone and could call for help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Atts plans are better. When I was looking at their shared plans it was going to have me sign up for only a one year contract for a new subsidized device.

6 GB is $90 dollars with AT&T plus a $35 for the smartphone. So $125 plus AT&T charges you $20 for a mobile hotspot. Verizon is 8GB for 90$ plus 40 for the smartphone = $130 plus you get FREE mobile hotspot. How is AT&T better? You realize they both end up the same? Except Verizon offers the free Hotspot. Sure AT&T offers a 1 year contract, because they have to do something to make up for their lesser network. But you end up paying almost full price for the SIII ($449). Why not just pay full price for the SIII with Verizon and keep your superior network and unlimited data if you are going to pay that much?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
6 GB is $90 dollars with AT&T plus a $35 for the smartphone. So $125 plus AT&T charges you $20 for a mobile hotspot. Verizon is 8GB for 90$ plus 40 for the smartphone = $130 plus you get FREE mobile hotspot. How is AT&T better? You realize they both end up the same? Except Verizon offers the free Hotspot. Sure AT&T offers a 1 year contract, because they have to do something to make up for their lesser network. But you end up paying almost full price for the SIII ($449). Why not just pay full price for the SIII with Verizon and keep your superior network and unlimited data if you are going to pay that much?

You don't end up paying more for the handset. I could get a One X on a one year contract on mobile share right now for $99.

Also, where are you getting your info from? AT&T's plans include tethering and mobile hotspot, just like Verizon.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
For anyone considering Sprint I would suggest you think twice. I am moving to Verizon to get service that works. With Sprint calls or text message do not go through or get delayed. Also data speed have dropped to under 100 kbs

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

True. I wouldn't even consider sprint until their lte is pretty wide spread. Their 3g is slower than dial up. Also that's why they are phasing out unlimited. People using 40GB. Sprint will do it too once they gain some subscribers.

Sent from my galaxy nexus running jelly bean!

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I actually changed data plans. I had unlimited. Switched to the share everything. Am fine on it

sent from my Rezound

My billing date starts on the 4th of the month and I am already over 4 gig of data. My son averages 3.5g a month and my wife 2g. She and I'm ARE unlimited and plan on staying with that. Will just pay full price for our new phones.

TAPPED in on my (now unlocked bootloader) Verizon S3

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You don't end up paying more for the handset. I could get a One X on a one year contract on mobile share right now for $99.

Also, where are you getting your info from? AT&T's plans include tethering and mobile hotspot, just like Verizon.

Where you getting your info from? The One X is $349.99 with a one year contract at AT&T. Also:

AT&T Individual Data Plans & Mobile Share Data Plans from AT&T

Look at step #2. Mobile Hotspot devices = $20 yes?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Check out SquareTrade, you don't need to go through Verizon, and you can pay it all upfront

I looked into them and they don't cover lost or stolen devices and I don't think they cover water damage either so thats a major turnoff, I haven't actually had a device lost or stolen but still I wouldn't want someone to steal my phone and me be stuck with a $600 bill for a new device.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Where you getting your info from? The One X is $349.99 with a one year contract at AT&T. Also:

AT&T Individual Data Plans & Mobile Share Data Plans from AT&T

Look at step #2. Mobile Hotspot devices = $20 yes?

I'm getting the info from when I added the phone to my cart and it said 'this plan requires a one year agreement'. There's a thread about it in the One X forums. Also, for the hot spot, apparently reading is hard. That charge is for adding a hot spot device. As in, a standalone hot spot, not hot spot on your phone. The hot spot service on your phone is free.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the info from when I added the phone to my cart and it said 'this plan requires a one year agreement'. There's a thread about it in the One X forums. Also, for the hot spot, apparently reading is hard. That charge is for adding a hot spot device. As in, a standalone hot spot, not hot spot on your phone. The hot spot service on your phone is free.

I am going through the AT&T site and adding the One X to the cart with a 1 year contract. $349.99. And my mistake on the Hotspot, the way AT&T breaks it done is odd. But as for the phone, I have tried multiple phones on 1 years on the website, all or priced way higher.

jcarmody8

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank u. Wasn't on forums for a few days. Missed my window. Appreciate you letting me know. Fortunately I'm not too heavy of a user and have access to a lot of Wi-Fi. Big things for me is.... navigation when needed and movies on occasion. But no flash with ICS.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I am going through the AT&T site and adding the One X to the cart with a 1 year contract. $349.99. And my mistake on the Hotspot, the way AT&T breaks it done is odd. But as for the phone, I have tried multiple phones on 1 years on the website, all or priced way higher.

Unless you are a premier customer (business) you can't add mobile share plans on the website. I did, and it's a one year contract.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure if they decide to drop unlimited data (at least in my case) it would mean they are breaking their contract and I would be able to walk away.

I just transfered my upgrade to another line renewing any previous contract (unlimited on mine) however upgrading another line (removing the unlimited to 2 gig plan on the other line).

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure if they decide to drop unlimited data (at least in my case) it would mean they are breaking their contract and I would be able to walk away.

I just transfered my upgrade to another line renewing any previous contract (unlimited on mine) however upgrading another line (removing the unlimited to 2 gig plan on the other line).

Renewing is signing a new contract. If you do that, you lose unlimited.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Renewing is signing a new contract. If you do that, you lose unlimited.

I didn't. I made sure that transferring the upgrade keeps unlimited by managers and cooperate on the phone. New receipt that states the lines and changes contains both lines. The my line says unlimited data and the upgraded line shows the new 2 gig plan.

Can scan the receipt if there is still question.

Edit: Checked the receipt and this one is unclear. The only thing that is clear is the 2 gig plan for $30 change to the line that I transferred the upgrade to. Logged in to check around and my line still shows unlimited. Will call tomorrow to make sure. For the record I was told by about 7 people in the store and over the phone that doing this would keep the unlimited data.

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Update: since you guys made me nervous I called first thing this morning. The lady said that there were no pending changes to both lines on our account meaning we both still have unlimited data. I had her note my concern in the event I see it changes on the next billing cycle.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are a premier customer (business) you can't add mobile share plans on the website. I did, and it's a one year contract.

And there it is. You are a premier business customer. Business discounts/contracts differ from personal accounts.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And there it is. You are a premier business customer. Business discounts/contracts differ from personal accounts.

Nope. Obviously you haven't gone to the thread in the one x forum. Another member that isn't a premier customer walked into an att store a d signed up for a mobile share plan for a one x, and still only paid $100.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I will probably switch to AT&T when our family contract is up in a little over a year. Why, avoid the upgrade fees. I have all my families phones start and end dates the same so it is easy to move. Carriers seem to love new customers, but really don't like their existing customers. Pretty funny since it is so easy to move to different a different carrier. Right now I am happy with Verizon they offer the best coverage and service in my area. But AT&T will go live with LTE in the next six months, give them a few months to iron out their issues and by then will probably switch.

I guess others can look at Sprint and T-Mobile. Sprint announced they spending 2.2 billion on their network upgrade. I think that is about 1/10th of what AT&T is spending this year alone. Verizon is spent almost twice this much to acquire new spectrum and is spending billions more on expending their network and upgrading the existing LTE. I know the LTE in my are keeps getting better and the range keeps expanding.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I would put up an update. It appears that no lines on my account lost the unlimited data. Might be an option for those of you who want to upgrade on a family plan. Not sure if it matters but I transferred the upgrade from my line to the account holder line, upgraded the account holder line but didn't activate the new phone, then activated a new sim on my line for the new S3. I did not think it was necessary for a new sim, seeing how the droid razr uses the same sim but they tell me in the store the new policy requires them to use new sim cards for phone changes.

Attachments

• planSS.jpg
    planSS.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia