Verizon and unlimited data

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the opportunity to use my tablet at work today so I tethered it to my phone using the Mobile Hotspot feature. Today was the first day of my billing cycle and I've already used 1.147GB of data. I'm beginning to wonder what the point of a smartphone is if you're going to give up unlimited data. I don't stream video often, but if I chose to, it would be very easy to go over that 2GB average that Verizon chose to go with.

PoleMan14

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Quick question...currently have an iPhone and looking to go with the SIII. If I purchase a used SIII and swap my phone on the Verizon website...will I retain just the 3G unlimited data plan or will that now include 4G LTE as well? Google search turned up mixed info and results. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Not directly, but you should get 4g. As I understand it, it isn't a matter of "you're going to a 4G LTE device on a 3g plan." more like "you have unlimited data and now you have a device that can access it faster."

Sent from my Galaxy S III via Tapatalk

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Quick question...currently have an iPhone and looking to go with the SIII. If I purchase a used SIII and swap my phone on the Verizon website...will I retain just the 3G unlimited data plan or will that now include 4G LTE as well? Google search turned up mixed info and results. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

I believe you will need to go into the store and get a SIM card. Switching between 3G and 4G devices requires the sim swich which needs to be done in the store.

Murphy19

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I bet with the Iphone 5 there are going to be a lot of frustrated Verizon customers like myself that have the $20 discount on unlimited data with an expiration of 2038. Since, I have had this promotion, I have upgraded to two IPhones with lengthy discussions every time on whether or not I could keep the $20 discount and ALWAYS the bottom line was I COULD. Because of the problems with upgrading everytime, I asked a Verizon Customer Service to email something stating that I have this promotion. Verizon doesn't email anything to you, but will text it. Must be a way to keep from getting sued, by not providing too much info...just enough. I do have the text and the first customer service could read the text through my account and told me she doesn't know what that person did. Today, I find out that Verizon no longer offers unlimited if you upgrade to a new phone, which I have done 2x already with this promotion. Now, I am being told that Verizon changed the plan. I also talked to three different people today regarding this situation. One person told me the 2038 was a mistake and just because it says 2038 they just needed a date to fill in....oh well...not my problem. I can buy a phone and keep the discount. That doesnt really work out if you do the math. The ONLY stipulation to this plan is if you changed your call and data service, then you would lose the promotion. Of course, this is a no brainer...not going to do that. I requested a copy of that promotion and it doesn't seem to be available. Bottom line...Verizon is trying to get rid of anyone with unlimited Data. They offered this promotion that clearly states, on record, expiration is 2038. Nothing about getting upgrades. Again, I asked everyone I spoke to at Verizon, who would extend their plan for 3 Years, which Verizon said they didn't do, to a plan that doesn't allow upgrades?? And why could I upgrad last November and December, but now Verizon has changed their plan/mind. This can't be right. This is something very wrong that Verizon is doing. If anyone else, is experiencing this with Verizon or has gotten some resolution let me know. I don't want to give in to what they are telling me, that I have to go to 2gb with the $20 discount if I upgrade or buy a phone and keep the promotion. This is definitately not what I signed up for and Verizon can't or won't give a copy of that promotion...they don't have it. Well, yes you have it filed somewhere.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... that I have to go to 2gb with the $20 discount if I upgrade or buy a phone and keep the promotion. This is definitately not what I signed up for and Verizon can't or won't give a copy of that promotion...they don't have it. Well, yes you have it filed somewhere.

you can't even do that. Think of it this way. Verizon considers the "promotion" on your account ($20 off unlimited data) completely separate from upgrades etc. The *only* way to keep your promotion is to not change your plan.

Verizon is now saying, in order to upgrade at a subsidized price, you *must* change your plan. This means you lose both unlimited data AND the $20 discount. Only way to keep it is to pay full price for a phone or find one on the secondary market used.

I'm not defending Verizon here. I have the $20 data discount as well, and I'm seriously conflicted on what to do in November when my lines are up for upgrade. I'll have to sit down with a calculator to find out whether or not the discount on the new phone is worth paying much more for limited data. :(

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It comes out sort of a wash. 2-year contracts are eligible for an upgrade at 20 months iirc. $20 x 20months = $400. Factor in the taxes you're also not paying on the $20, and it comes out to roughly the same amount that is subsidized.

The longer you keep each phone without upgrading, the better it works out for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S III via Tapatalk

Murphy19

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, but I got this promotion almost 20 months ago for extending the main line upgrade from 2 years to 3 they gave me four lines at $30 ea. A month minus $20.00 discount each line. During this time my family has used 2 upgrades each getting the IPhone 4 and when doing these transactions, one last November 2011 and the other December 2011, I have had to deal with the sales people telling me that I don't qualify for the discounts, then I would have them call Verizon customer Service and after it would be confirmed that I had this as long as I didn't change my calling service or data plan. I had a customer service rep. Text me the service expiration until 2038. A customer service rep today told me the date was an error . How could I have done two upgrades? I really like Verizon... I have been with them for a long time.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, but I got this promotion almost 20 months ago for extending the main line upgrade from 2 years to 3 they gave me four lines at $30 ea. A month minus $20.00 discount each line. During this time my family has used 2 upgrades each getting the IPhone 4 and when doing these transactions, one last November 2011 and the other December 2011, I have had to deal with the sales people telling me that I don't qualify for the discounts, then I would have them call Verizon customer Service and after it would be confirmed that I had this as long as I didn't change my calling service or data plan. I had a customer service rep. Text me the service expiration until 2038. A customer service rep today told me the date was an error . How could I have done two upgrades? I really like Verizon... I have been with them for a long time.

I have the same discount and the same expiration date, so it's not an error.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
you can't even do that. Think of it this way. Verizon considers the "promotion" on your account ($20 off unlimited data) completely separate from upgrades etc. The *only* way to keep your promotion is to not change your plan.

Verizon is now saying, in order to upgrade at a subsidized price, you *must* change your plan. This means you lose both unlimited data AND the $20 discount. Only way to keep it is to pay full price for a phone or find one on the secondary market used.

I'm not defending Verizon here. I have the $20 data discount as well, and I'm seriously conflicted on what to do in November when my lines are up for upgrade. I'll have to sit down with a calculator to find out whether or not the discount on the new phone is worth paying much more for limited data. :(

The Talk and Text + Data? Verizon told me that you can upgrade and keep this $20 discount as long as you don't switch to a Share Everything plan. You can switch to a tiered data and also possibly a family plan. I've confirmed this with several representatives too.

I was also told by a few reps that 2038 was the expiration date.
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The Talk and Text + Data? Verizon told me that you can upgrade and keep this $20 discount as long as you don't switch to a Share Everything plan. You can switch to a tiered data and also possibly a family plan. I've confirmed this with several representatives too.

I was also told by a few reps that 2038 was the expiration date.

Really? I thought they said you will lose any discounts when you upgrade after they started the new plans. That's awesome if you are right though.

Murphy19

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Here is the problem....I have already done two uprades and got to keep the promotion as promised, but now Verizon is saying I can't do it anymore. Up until now, Verizon has agreed and acknowledged this is legit and it expires in 2038. I have had this for about 17 months and again have done 2 upgrades. I think Verizon is doing something very wrong.

---------- Post Merged at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:55 PM ----------

You can get the discount and be switched to 2GB.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is the problem....I have already done two uprades and got to keep the promotion as promised, but now Verizon is saying I can't do it anymore. Up until now, Verizon has agreed and acknowledged this is legit and it expires in 2038. I have had this for about 17 months and again have done 2 upgrades. I think Verizon is doing something very wrong.

---------- Post Merged at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:55 PM ----------

You can get the discount and be switched to 2GB.

No, they're not. They're telling you the contract you signed, discount included, is no longer valid, and is giving you other options.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Really? I thought they said you will lose any discounts when you upgrade after they started the new plans. That's awesome if you are right though.

This is what several Verizon representatives in both the normal department and loyalty department have told me.

cdclark12

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from Sprint. You couldn't use 40 gig a month on that network due to the speed being so bad it would take you two months to reach that amount of data through put. Just saying.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Murphy19

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So, the 2038 expiration date means nothing? When Verizon offered me this promotion, they should have said. "Hey, we got this great deal for you and it expires 2038, but we might get a little freaked out when we realize this unlimited stuff is killing us and our CEO's are going to lose millions in bonuses and have to change the game plan."

TheAutoMomma

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Replying to Poleman re: buying used SIII used and putting on iphone line. I'm not sure if you already got a clear answer... But I went from an iphone 4s to a (used) Rezound, did have to go into the store for a SIM card but did not have to change plans or anything to get 4G. Hubby went from DInc2 to (used) Rezound as well, and it was the same deal. Needed a SIM, but no plan changes and no new contract, we retained our unlimited plans. We love the Rezound which is good, as we may have them for a looooong time to keep unlimited.

Incidentally, VZW also did a warranty swap on my Rezound, purchased off of Craigslist. YMMV, but a used phone isn't too scary anymore.

Sent from my Rezound using Android Central Forums

scott3214

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
When I recently updated my plan to the share everything plan, I asked the Verizon worker why they are changing to the Share everything plans. He said it was because people were using over 30 GB of data a month.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I heard that by 2013 Verizon will completely do away with unlimited data to those who r grandfathered in. Don't know if it is true, if it is ill drop them like a bad transmission

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
Drop them for who? Because the other options are not better honestly.
I haven't hear that. Wouldn't surprise me though. But as far as I know, Verizon is not going to subsidize your next phone and let you keep unlimited. As long as that dosen't change, I am fine with it. I can wait 4-6 months after release of a phone I want and buy outright cheaper.
Unsub'd phones may be the future. Don't think Verizon is not watching how T-Mobiles no contract unsub'd phones campaign is going.
40 GB of data would be the epitome of a data hog. before all of the "changes" I was watching about two hours of netflix a day, and never went over 7 GB in a month. I thought THAT was excessive. 40 GB would be difficult to reach, unless your phone is your only source of media consumption. even then, 40 GB is a lot.
I saw a dude with 80g. Ya. I don't even know...