Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Battery Life Poor on KitKat

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are getting bad battery life after an update, a factory data reset is recommended. If not you can use an app like gsam to see what is eating your battery.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
How do you use cell towers and wifi for location?

Go to settings. Press on Location and then on Mode. The middle power saving location mode option is WiFi and Mobile networks. It uses very little of your battery, even if left on all of the time. It avoids using the more power consuming GPS entirely, at the expense of a less accuracy.

For most purposes, such as weather apps or labeling your location on photos, this level of location accuracy is good enough.

When mapping where you are going, on the other hand, you better then bite the bullet and turn on the GPS for better accuracy. If your GPS is slow to lock onto the satellites (mine is), then select the top mode, which uses all three ( GPS, WiFi, and mobile communication) to get the best accuracy, most quickly. But this mode will use more juice.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
As I said on another thread, I had an unbelievably dumb moment this morning when I woke up to my phone downloading and once the download was completed I wasn't paying attention and I tapped on "install". (Hey it was 5 am and before coffee...)
I have been watching my phone and I'm sorry to say that my battery life keeps on getting worse. I had it charged 100% at 2 pm, it now 2:39 and I am down to 90% I wasn't using it, background apps were off. I looked and my phone says the Android system is using 60% of my battery.

Posted via Android Central App

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I wiped the cache partition this morning. The battery still isn't what it used to be pre kitkat, but it seems to be doing better. I thought the factory reset should have wiped the cache automatically.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So far, after wiping the cache, I'm 4 hours 41 minutes off charger, 53 minutes of screen time and I'm at 83% juice. Keep in mind that I've turned off a lot of things I used to leave on before kitkat. Like Bluetooth, location and some of the motion gestures

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
There's something wrong with the underlying Android OS IMO. If you look around, several devices are getting crappy battery life on these newer versions of Android. Mine has like 4 hours keep awake time and an hour of CPU time for Android OS. Android System has similar usage. I have tried a factory reset and I dont have anything syncing.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I wiped the cache partition this morning. The battery still isn't what it used to be pre kitkat, but it seems to be doing better. I thought the factory reset should have wiped the cache automatically.

I read in other forums that Cache partition is automatically wiped with the OS update. I initially wiped it on my husband's note 3 and that's probably why it didn't resolve his issues until I did the factory reset.

from "Ms Note 3"

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have found that keeping wifi on with this version, wakes my phone constantly, it scans a lot. I now turn wifi on when I want to use it and my battery is fine. I went about 24 hours before charging yesterday. Look at your battery graph and see if your phone is waking a lot.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3

Last edited:

Kristin Shea

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Both of my sons are complaining about this now since the last update. they have the S4 and S3 phones. They never had problems with the batteries till this last update.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have found that keeping wifi on with this version, wakes my phone constantly, it scans a lot. I know turn wifi on when I want to use it and my battery is fine. I went about 24 hours before charging yesterday. Look at your battery graph and see if your phone is waking a lot.

vu7evaha.jpg

You can toggle your Wi-Fi activity when your phone is in sleep mode. I'm sure this was the same in JB as well. I only have a few things that sync anyways so it's no biggie for me to leave mine on "always".

from "Ms Note 3"

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/vu7evaha.jpg
You can toggle your Wi-Fi activity when your phone is in sleep mode. I'm sure this was the same in JB as well. I only have a few things that sync anyways so it's no biggie for me to leave mine on "always".

from "Ms Note 3"

Yeah but it still scans and wakes, even if it says not to. Since 4.3, there is something that checks your wifi connection stability and it makes it scan, also many Google Apps have wifi scanning and wifi connection automatically, even when wifi is off. I also unchecked several options in advanced.
2a3yqy3e.jpg

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I updated my device just recently and prior to the update, I could tether my phone with Mobile Hotspot running and from about 70% I'd see it fully charge in about 30 minutes. I've had my phone plugged into my computer while connected to Mobile Hotspot from about 86% for the better part of 5 hours and am just now above 93% so there is definitely something that's draining the battery at a faster rate than Jelly Bean.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I just gave in and did what everyone suggested, factory reset. I hope this stops the horrible battery drain....

And I'm on AT&T

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm getting great battery life. I I use my phone constantly.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-28-20-01-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-28-20-01-18.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_2014-05-28-20-01-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-28-20-01-22.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 56

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Well its been about 5 hours since I did the factory reset. And I can already tell a big difference with the battery. Not dropping way as much as before.

I was so hesitant on doing factory reset but we'll worth it

Make sure you back up your stuff. I chose to do G cloud backup. You can find it on the play store and it gives you 1 gb free backup and easily can get another gig for doing simple stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

fyodor32768

May 25, 2014
Visit site

Just to add another data point for people who are coming to this thread, I wiped the cache and it seems to have fixed (or significantly alleviated) the problem.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys my big battery issue was from Google now. I disabled it and it is much better.
Odd thing is it was perfectly fine till mid or late April.

Turned off Google now and have been above 50% every day when leaving the office. Monday I was well above 60%.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow