Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Battery Life Poor on KitKat

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How exactly do I wipe the cache?

sent from my Note 3

With the phone off, press and hold the volume up and home button and power button simultaneously. When the blue text appears in the upper left, let go of the keys. Use the volume down button to select clear cache and press the power button to select. Once done, choose reboot phone and press the power button again

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
With the phone off, press and hold the volume up and home button and power button simultaneously. When the blue text appears in the upper left, let go of the keys. Use the volume down button to select clear cache and press the power button to select. Once done, choose reboot phone and press the power button again

This procedure usually works wonders. I usually do this type of "clear cache" once a week.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

dpham00,
Educate me on this!
What is the difference between wiping the cache partition as you describe and wiping the cache data from storage in settings.
What is the cache partition!😞👌

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

Last edited:

usermh

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
For a few days I didn't notice anything then a few days ago the battery was at 3%. I wasn't even using it .Did a full charge and the next morning it was dead again. After checking connections...and speaking with someone at Samsung (not helpful at all)...I tried a factory reset. It froze.
So I removed the battery and waited a few minutes. After reinserting the battery, and restarting, the phone is fine again. Fully charged last night and this morning, still at 93% 8 hours later. I am still going to follow through with checking the system. BTW, after the reinserting of the battery, it fully charged in less than an hour from the computer using the USB2 cable

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Check and see if media is eating the battery. Found that any issue with cloud backup and media files causes higher than normal battery drain. If you have pics or vids on an sd card there can be just one item corrupted and it will eat your battery in no time at all.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

James4455

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, r&r battery solved the problem. I don't understand why but I'm happy anyway.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I disabled Google Now (as mentioned above) and it was working fine for a few weeks then a few days ago my battery started draining faster than normal. I do think it has something to do with the Kit Kat update. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon installed some hidden bloatware that reports user information to their marketing partners.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but after upgrading to KitKat, I had no battery issues. But I recently got a wireless charger - and since I installed the receiver to the battery, my battery life has been reduced. I'm guessing that the receiver is draining the battery. Not sure KitKat had anything to do with this, but just thought I'd mention it.

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I disabled Google Now (as mentioned above) and it was working fine for a few weeks then a few days ago my battery started draining faster than normal. I do think it has something to do with the Kit Kat update. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon installed some hidden bloatware that reports user information to their marketing partners.

I think it's KitKat. You see the same complaints on Nexus 5 forums..

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

sent from my Note 3

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It's part of Google Search. If you want to disable It, you can just turn it off in settings in the app. If you want to turn it off completely, go to Application manager, under 'All' click on Google search and then turn it off.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
My battery life sucks now too compared to 4.3. I think it has more to do with the AWS band enabling though. I can barely get signals now in a lot of places (including my home) and I think the constant searching for a signal is killing the battery life. I wish there was a switch so we could turn this band 4 off in weaker areas. I am sure people in stronger signal areas don't see much battery life difference.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My battery life sucks now too compared to 4.3. I think it has more to do with the AWS band enabling though. I can barely get signals now in a lot of places (including my home) and I think the constant searching for a signal is killing the battery life. I wish there was a switch so we could turn this band 4 off in weaker areas. I am sure people in stronger signal areas don't see much battery life difference.

Not only does it take more battery to search, but due to the higher frequency the signal is more prone to interference and thus requires more power to "punch through" to the tower.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

hcane466

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I had same problem. ..seems kitkat changed some settings. .had to go through whole phone....found google + was main culprit. ..disabled it...battery Ok now

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

kazmi

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I disabled smart stay and noticed my battery life went back to almost pre-kitkat levels:

tuty8u2y.jpg

I'm sure disabling google+ would help as well.

frank_cars

May 7, 2013
Visit site
OK, I am a tech head and I've had this before when I upgraded my Note 2 to Ginger Bread (this problem by the way manifests on many Androids, not just samsung - going to KitKat (just search all the different forums). For me, it was 100% battery drain thanks to Exchange Services (a simple check on battery would show over 50%). I had the note for over a year given me 14+ hours usage. It dropped to about 5 hours. The problem went away if I went to manual synch on Exchange and I got 14 hours back. If that wasn't proof for me, nothing was.

The fix at the time was a factory reset and a clear cache which was a pain but it fixed it. That was Ginger bread.

Now, I have exactly the same problem after upgrading to KitKat - EXACTLY. I have done a clear cache. No change. I have done a factory reset. No change. I am now running a manual synch and get my 14 hours back. What a pain though I want push exchange email.

This is SO VERY VERY annoying.... Come on Google.. Acknowledge it and fix it... Search the Nexus forums. Same problem. Search people whom have rooted phones as well. Same problem (mine is stock Verizon)....

slinky

May 8, 2013
Visit site
OK, I am a tech head and I've had this before when I upgraded my Note 2 to Ginger Bread (this problem by the way manifests on many Androids, not just samsung - going to KitKat (just search all the different forums). For me, it was 100% battery drain thanks to Exchange Services (a simple check on battery would show over 50%). I had the note for over a year given me 14+ hours usage. It dropped to about 5 hours. The problem went away if I went to manual synch on Exchange and I got 14 hours back. If that wasn't proof for me, nothing was. The fix at the time was a factory reset and a clear cache which was a pain but it fixed it. That was Ginger bread.

Now, I have exactly the same problem after upgrading to KitKat - EXACTLY. I have done a clear cache. No change. I have done a factory reset. No change. I am now running a manual synch and get my 14 hours back. What a pain though I want push exchange email.

This is SO VERY VERY annoying.... Come on Google.. Acknowledge it and fix it... Search the Nexus forums. Same problem. Search people whom have rooted phones as well. Same problem (mine is stock Verizon)....
Is this an issue with Google or with the Exchange app? Not sure one can be sure. Regardless, I'm just replying to say thanks for sharing. I use Exchange and my Nexus 5 battery life went to hell. I just sold the Nexus 5 for the Note 3 and, regardless of whether it solves the problem, the Note 3 battery life is far superior to the Nexus 5 and its relatively modest and non-removable battery.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe