Verizon Galaxy S5 finally ROOTED! !

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my VZW S5 the evening I got it (couple weeks ago.) Worked fine, though I've never bothered to check if KNOX was tripped or not. (Everyone says it doesn't, so that's good enough for me.)

-Suntan

Tyler Rel

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
hey dummmb question hahah **** do you need a custom recovery and everything installed already through odin on this? or is it just a download and one click?

Nickace2000

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Just rooted about an hour. I actually bought my s5 today coming from an iphone 5 user. Can anyone explain like now that i rooted what should i download in the gplay store.

Posted via Android Central App

smmails2002

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
So sorry for this question but really wanna be clear.. The towel root app roots the phone but I can still get my updates? And thr would be no bricking after doing this (that is after updating with the new software from my carrier)? Also how do I get rid of all the bloatware?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
hey dummmb question hahah **** do you need a custom recovery and everything installed already through odin on this? or is it just a download and one click?

No recovery. You just install the towelroot app and run it. Then follow the onscreen instructions and once it is done you can uninstall the towelroot app.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just rooted about an hour. I actually bought my s5 today coming from an iphone 5 user. Can anyone explain like now that i rooted what should i download in the gplay store.

You should install SuperSU and run that to update the binaries. Let it disable KNOX when it asks to. Now that your phone allows programs to access the root, you need to use SuperSU to guard root. SuperSU only lets apps you approve of to access the root of the device.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So sorry for this question but really wanna be clear.. The towel root app roots the phone but I can still get my updates? And thr would be no bricking after doing this (that is after updating with the new software from my carrier)? Also how do I get rid of all the bloatware?

If you just root the phone, you will still get system updates. However, those updates will likely remove your root status and if the update has a patch to prevent rooting with the towelroot method, you will not be allowed to re-root at that point. Effectively, you can lose root by updating.

If you remove bloatware, or make substantial changes to the phone, the phone will most likely not take a system update. It will either fail during the update procedure and dump you back to the old version you already have, or it will brick your device and require you to go through concerted steps to get it working again. If you want to keep root, or you want to make extensive, root level changes, you should identify the method by which your phone checks for system updates and freeze that (For example, on VZW models their is a system app called "SDM" that when frozen, will prevent the phone from checking for OTA system updates.

It should be mentioned that individual apps (Maps, Dropbox, Gmail, etc. etc.) will still accept updates from the play store just fine whether rooted or not. The above only pertains to system/android OS updates sent OTA by the carriers.

-Suntan

Jim

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Bought an s5 on Craig's List a few weeks ago. The guy (now creep) told me there was nothing wrong with the phone. In fact the phone works fine except I was unable to install an update. Spoke to the Samsung rep at Best Buy and he informed me that somebody rooted the phone. I would like to unroot the phone and return it to its original state if possible so that when the day comes and I want to sell it I don't have any problems. I have zero knowledge about the rooting world and would never attempt for fear of bricking the phone. Any suggestions for getting this s5 unrooted. Or is there any way to find out who the original owner of the phone is? Sure would like to have a conversation with the guy who did this.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
IMHO the easiest way to return to stock is through ODIN. If you go to Sam mobile and look for the most current build (i know Verizon is on 4.4.4 build #NI2) and download the most current version of ODIN you should just have to get your phone into download mode (turn off then press power, home and volume down and hold till the screen appears). You can check out YouTube because me trying to explain the process is gonna make it seem much worse than it really is..
I'm almost positive that a video by a fellow member named droid modder x has done a video on this a couple different times.. Good luck with this.. I'm sure you'll get it fixed 😊

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

paul1701

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Installed towelroot and then tried to run it. TR returned message it does not currently support this phone.:(
My details below. Any suggestions? I would like root access to install SU and Titanium Backup.
Just upgraded from S3 which I unlocked and rooted.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Verizon
SM-G900V
G900VVRU1ANI2
Security software
MDF v1.0 Release 3
VPN v1.4 Release 1

bodens

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
When I try to use towelroot on my Verizon GS5, it says the device is not supported? Isn't this the point of towelroot? Does anyone have a fix?

Kaliaila

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Installed towelroot and then tried to run it. TR returned message it does not currently support this phone.:(

When I try to use towelroot on my Verizon GS5, it says the device is not supported? Isn't this the point of towelroot? Does anyone have a fix?

There is now a more complex process in order to use Towelroot. Samsung has updated the Kernel (at least on the Verizon and, I think, AT&T phones) to not prevent the exploit that Towelroot uses. So you need to do more than just install the Towelroot apk onto your phone. Here is the general process you should go through assuming you are staying stock and just want root access. BTW, I am not providing links to any of the files.

1. Update your phone the most recent software update; Settings->About Phone->Check for Updates or something like that.
  2. Download Odin, I am fairly sure that there is a link somewhere in a thread on this forum.
  3. Download the Verizon version of the old NCG Kernel; again I am fairly sure that this found somewhere in a thread on this forum.
  4. Download the new Verizon Kernel, NK2.
  5. Using Odin go through the process to Flash your Verizon Galaxy S5 back to the older Kernel (NCG).
  6. Install and run Towelroot; and verify that your phone is rooted.
  7. Using Odin flash back to the most recent Kernel (NK2).
  8. Verify that you still have root.
Be careful that you get the Kernels from a trusted source and that they are the Verizon files as otherwise it can cause you other problems with KNOX and other things. And of course you should get the Odin program either from a trusted source or from the official website for the program.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57598352&postcount=28 will take you to post with two links in it. One will get you the NK2 kernel; and the second will take you to an older post which will include all of the other relevant files.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae