Verizon is crazy!! (Plz help!0

TheShadowed

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from my local Verizon store. They want me to pay a $450 deposit for ONE line of service. This is just crazy! Anyway around this? Please help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got back from my local Verizon store. They want me to pay a $450 deposit for ONE line of service. This is just crazy! Anyway around this? Please help.

That IS insane....you might as well buy a new phone outright. You can do one of several things: 1. Ask around from your closer friends who are on Verizon. Maybe they want to upgrade their phone. Offer a fair price for theirs, and they use what you paid them to get a new phone. 2. Search online for a used device (Not a great option, but an option), 3. Ask Verizon if they have a refurbished one (I know, not another great option) 4. The last thing I can think of is pay ETF and go to another carrier.

LazerDino

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about signing up as a new customer? My wife and I signed up with Verizon 2 weeks ago we did not have to pay any kind of a deposit other than we almost immediately got the first bill which which has all of our activation fees plus the first month in advance and that bill was only $248 for two lines of service. We did buy 2 new Galaxy s3 phones and after rebates will pay a total of $100 apiece for those.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I assuming you are trying to open a new line of service, and this is the deposit they want you to pay? There is no way around it if you want to go with Verizon, other than to get your "credit with them" up and try again. Have you had any previous delinquent accounts with them, or a habit of late payments? Many times this is why they require a deposit. Your best bet is to try with another provider, or maybe even give prepaid a try. I don't understand why they require some to pay a deposit and others they allow. When trying to do a new contract on amazon, we were quoted a $2,000 deposit. We went in store, and we weren't required a deposit at all. In our case, amazon ran our credit almost 20 times due to shotty connection and lowered our credit with too many hard inquiries.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I assuming you are trying to open a new line of service, and this is the deposit they want you to pay? There is no way around it if you want to go with Verizon, other than to get your "credit with them" up and try again. Have you had any previous delinquent accounts with them, or a habit of late payments? Many times this is why they require a deposit. Your best bet is to try with another provider, or maybe even give prepaid a try. I don't understand why they require some to pay a deposit and others they allow. When trying to do a new contract on amazon, we were quoted a $2,000 deposit. We went in store, and we weren't required a deposit at all. In our case, amazon ran our credit almost 20 times due to shotty connection and lowered our credit with too many hard inquiries.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Ouch....not cool at all!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

You mean 400 right?

I work there and the max deposit is 400, but you get it back after a year.

It's all about your credit.

It isn't that crazy when you consider the fact that they are selling you a 650 phone and the only thing that they have is that contract saying that you will pay them for 2 years. If you skip out on it, you will owe an ETF but if someone has bad credit they feel like they would never get that fee so they lost 450 (assuming you bought a high end phone and paid 200).

Plus so many people are buying the phones on contract only to sell them and pocket the money

Makes sense now doesn't it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Luckily they had it on file that amazon wireless ran our credit through the Verizon elegibility system 20 times within a matter of minutes, and had it corrected. The rep who handled our transaction just kept apologizing over and over again. Our credit is back to normal and everything is fine lol

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You mean 400 right?

I work there and the max deposit is 400, but you get it back after a year.

It's all about your credit.

It isn't that crazy when you consider the fact that they are selling you a 650 phone and the only thing that they have is that contract saying that you will pay them for 2 years. If you skip out on it, you will owe an ETF but if someone has bad credit they feel like they would never get that fee so they lost 450 (assuming you bought a high end phone and paid 200).

Plus so many people are buying the phones on contract only to sell them and pocket the money

Makes sense now doesn't it?

I have a letter from Verizon wireless stating me a $2,000 deposit. I can find it and show you if you'd like. Whether I ever would have had to pay that much, I'm unsure. But they certainly quoted me it.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a letter from Verizon wireless stating me a $2,000 deposit. I can find it and show you if you'd like. Whether I ever would have had to pay that much, I'm unsure. But they certainly quoted me it.

For 5 lines I hope.

Amazon wireless doesn't take deposits though.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
For 5 lines I hope.

Amazon wireless doesn't take deposits though.

Two lines. And I know they don't. But you can create a new contract for Verizon on amazon. Before your purchase is paid for or shipped, you must qualify through Verizon. That is why you submit your Ss# on the amazon wireless website (it has a Verizon credit check client) and you wait for the results. If you are denied, they will mail you a letter with why, and the price of the deposit if applicable. It comes directly from Verizon, not amazon.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It certainly isn't any fun finding out you have to pay a deposit to your wireless carrier. I do understand it totally though. As much as I whine and complain about whichever carrier I'm currently talking about, they do need to protect themselves as a business. If they didn't have measures like this, people would get a subsidized phone and sell it, never pay the bill. You and I and Jennifer and others might be honest people who don't really think of this type of behavior. For every one of us, there's one of the people who exhibit this behavior, costing the providers money. Thus, our rates are raised and we pay more while someone else makes money from theft. I don't side with wireless providers often, however they're absolutely justified in this.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Two lines. And I know they don't. But you can create a new contract for Verizon on amazon. Before your purchase is paid for or shipped, you must qualify through Verizon. That is why you submit your Ss# on the amazon wireless website (it has a Verizon credit check client) and you wait for the results. If you are denied, they will mail you a letter with why, and the price of the deposit if applicable. It comes directly from Verizon, not amazon.

To elaborate on what Jennifer is saying:
I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T via Amazon Wireless. They had a better deal on the HTC One than anyone else. Due to my recent auto loan, I was required to pay a whopping $100 deposit. Amazon did not collect this deposit, however when I clicked purchase the $100 was deducted from my bank account and went through them to AT&T. After AT&T received the money I was billed for my phone and they shipped it out. There was basically no gap between the two billings and my phone turned up two days later. The only reason I took any notice of this was the breakdown of the billing. The top line was $100 for deposit to AT&T via Amazon Wireless and the second line was the $129.99 for the phone billed directly to Amazon Wireless.
Hope that clears that up.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I have been doing some research on this for a friend as well. But he wants att. I was reading some where also that depending on the state that your in they cell company has to pay you interest on it due to state laws. (Seem to be like 3%) Deposits on a cell phone company are kinda outrageous anyways. Luckily for me I got approved for att and Verizon before picking what carrier I wanted with no deposit. I also hear att is the worst one to apply for when it comes to credit. Some people are reporting up to $1000 for a single line of service. If that was me I'd walk away and go with Prepaid. In any case its crazy!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
To elaborate on what Jennifer is saying:
I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T via Amazon Wireless. They had a better deal on the HTC One than anyone else. Due to my recent auto loan, I was required to pay a whopping $100 deposit. Amazon did not collect this deposit, however when I clicked purchase the $100 was deducted from my bank account and went through them to AT&T. After AT&T received the money I was billed for my phone and they shipped it out. There was basically no gap between the two billings and my phone turned up two days later. The only reason I took any notice of this was the breakdown of the billing. The top line was $100 for deposit to AT&T via Amazon Wireless and the second line was the $129.99 for the phone billed directly to Amazon Wireless.
Hope that clears that up.

The auto loan was in good standing correct? I assume they saw a big loan taken out and were concerned about the ability to pay back? I checked with Verizon a few years back regarding another line and there was no deposit required. I was 23 at the time and I just took out a loan for about $33,000 on a new Acura. But again I'm unsure of your credit rating compared to mine so that's always a factor.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It certainly isn't any fun finding out you have to pay a deposit to your wireless carrier. I do understand it totally though. As much as I whine and complain about whichever carrier I'm currently talking about, they do need to protect themselves as a business. If they didn't have measures like this, people would get a subsidized phone and sell it, never pay the bill. You and I and Jennifer and others might be honest people who don't really think of this type of behavior. For every one of us, there's one of the people who exhibit this behavior, costing the providers money. Thus, our rates are raised and we pay more while someone else makes money from theft. I don't side with wireless providers often, however they're absolutely justified in this.

True they have to protect themselves but credit does help with these deposits. I haven't ever paid a deposit on my phone service, services for house.. Really anything. They always get waived once they pull my credit.

So the lesson for everyone is... Keep your credit nice and you can avoid this huge hunk of cash upfront :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
True they have to protect themselves but credit does help with these deposits. I haven't ever paid a deposit on my phone service, services for house.. Really anything. They always get waived once they pull my credit.

So the lesson for everyone is... Keep your credit nice and you can avoid this huge hunk of cash upfront :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Security deposits don't get waived through Verizon Wireless. The only thing close to being waived is being approved with RC credit status, short for "Receivable Control", which means you are on the verge of getting a minimum of 125 per line, but looking over your credit history, you are given the benefit of the doubt

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That can't be correct. The maximum deposit is 400 dollars per line. And as crazy as it may seem to anyone, it's solely based on the applicants credit history.
Correct or not, I m telling you what I personally witnessed and what the Verizon rep told me when I walked into the store. Did I pay a deposit? No. But I m also not lying about the letter I recieved quoting a $2000 deposit.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a crazy situation 7 years ago when I first signed on with Verizon. I walked into one of their stores one day looking to start service with them. (had sprint/Nextel at the time) The rep told me that I would have to pay $1000 deposit for one line. I was like Wtf and just left out the store.

2 months later I had gotten a job at Walmart. So one day after going through some BS with sprint/Nextel, I had one of the girls in the cellphone dept run my credit for Verizon. Idk why I asked her to do that, knowing that just a few months earlier they said it was a deposit required. But I had her do it anyway.

She did it, and to my surprise, it came back zero deposit. I was like huh Wtf lol. She showed the screen with the info, so I immediately signed up for service. Ported my number as well as my mom's n my girlfriend.

But I was still confused about something so I called Verizon n asked them what changed my deposit from a G to zero in 2 months.

Come to find out the rep at the Verizon store NEVER RAN MY CREDIT! The CSR I was speaking with said she only saw where I applied for service n started service the day before. But no record of credit check 2 months earlier. She asked did I receive a letter from them stating about a deposit. I said u know what, I never did. She said because whoever I spoke with never ran the credit.

Why he didn't run it, only he knows. I would say try again some place else, like maybe Walmart or best buy, but that could run ur credit score down more. It's up to u. Good luck.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky