Verizon Unlimited Data Confusion

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Same here but i spoke to reps and they told me its a rumor ...i read them that same article and parts of it..they told me i wont lose my current plan now or in the future...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
Reps are no more knowledgable about this stuff than most everyone else. The most accurate information that is currently out is the press releases coming from VZW.

Reactions: dmmarck

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"A rep told me..."

"I spoke to a rep..."

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
"A rep told me..."

"I spoke to a rep..."

I honestly can care less what you think ill go by what they told me...I used to work for the damn company as well...WHAT DON'T YOU READ....

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Stop spreading rumors.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I am just going by what I was told...I am going to keep my unlimited plan until they take it from my dead lifeless fingers..

eipee73

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon yesterday attempting to end my family plan contract 6 months early because the service in my new place is garbage. During the conversation I had mentioned that I was aware that after the change this summer I would be forced into shared data when I purchased a phone at a subsidized price. I was told by a rep and her supervisor that this was not going to be the case as a two year contract for an upgraded phone is an extension of the current terms and they have no right to change grandfathered features or prices.

Needless to say I'm incredibly skeptical as the rest of you are, but I told them I wanted it in writing in my account that I had been assured that upgrading my handset at a subsidized price and extending my contract would not change the terms of my unlimited data.

At the very worst when I go to do my upgrade I will argue until I'm blue in the face about this one as they now have it in writing. If they refuse to extend my unlimited data I will argue for an extremely high shared data tier for the same price. If they still refuse to work with me I will be leaving Verizon without question.

I would suggest calling Verizon about your unlimited data and having them note what they're telling you in your account so you have a foot to stand on when they make the change. Otherwise walk away.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest calling Verizon about your unlimited data and having them note what they're telling you in your account so you have a foot to stand on when they make the change. Otherwise walk away.

Do you honestly think that a note written on your account is set in stone? I had a rep note on my account that I was to get a discount on my GNex but when I went to the store to buy it the manager told me that they do not discount 4G phones and that's final. I had to call to get the discount taken off my bill.
Yes, eventually it happened but it took talking to more than one person.
As someone earlier said, you can call 4 different times and receive 4 different answers.

I believe that this thread was not started on a lie but I don't believe the reps know any more than we do. I have been told by a store employee that any information he receives about future plans is taken from the web, just like us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

eipee73

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if having the note in there means I have to call 7 different people to get my data back then I'll do it. It's a simple suggestion and I ended with how I will approach an upgrade in the future. If I'm required to move to shared/tiered data on my family plan it opens up every other carrier to me and frankly although my city is 4G, AT&T works 100x better inside my home which is rather important to me.

Reactions: mlbyanks11

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm do I believe Verizon PR's press release or the reps on the phone who also used to say I'm sorry but signal strength and data drops are not a known issue with your Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

eipee73

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
IMO it's not about who or what I believe. It's about what was told to me and what has been documented in order to have a leg to stand on. Essentially it gives me a fighting chance at something better than the standard offer. Essentially a shape up or ship out to them when it comes to a head.

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
It's widely known that the reps at the customer service "helpdesk" and in the store are utterly clueless. About almost everything. Verizon doesn't advertise to every employee what its future plans are. Verizons PR department releases official statements regarding those things and thats all the employees know if they keep up with it. Some employees don't. A Verizon employee cannot tell you they don't know something. Instead they will tell you something will never happen until they recieve word from there bosses that things have changed. I mean geez, I know more about verizons phones and plans than the reps do. Verizon is planning on ending unlimited data entirely even for grandfathered contracts. Only way around that at this moment is to buy a phone at full price because that doesn't require any changes or renewals of your current contract. But then you end up going to a month to month contract after your current one expires. On month to month though Verizon can change terms at will so I doubt that work around will even last. And on throttling, legally Verizon cant throttle 4g. It was in the contract that it is not allowed when they bought the spectrum from the FCC. Sorry for the wall of text but hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
IMO it's not about who or what I believe. It's about what was told to me and what has been documented in order to have a leg to stand on. Essentially it gives me a fighting chance at something better than the standard offer. Essentially a shape up or ship out to them when it comes to a head.

Just wondering, how do you know it's "noted" in your account? They "claim" it's noted, where's the proof? Are you looking over their shoulder to make sure it's in your account? Are you positive even if it is noted it's valid or won't get accidentally removed at some future point.Unless I get something signed by someone with the proper authority (which I wouldn't even know what that is), they can claim and note all they want. When it comes down to it, you either take what they give or move to a new provider.

What I know for a fact: last week I upgraded my wife's Droid 2 for a Razr and she was able to keep her unlimited data. I upgraded my Droid X to a Razr Maxx and kept my unlimited data. I'm (hopefully) set for another couple years (just about)...then I'll see where things stand. If the plans are ridiculous and/or don't meet my needs, I'll go back to a basic prepaid phone.

Reactions: metz65 and Ry

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, how do you know it's "noted" in your account? They "claim" it's noted, where's the proof? Are you looking over their shoulder to make sure it's in your account? Are you positive even if it is noted it's valid or won't get accidentally removed at some future point.Unless I get something signed by someone with the proper authority (which I wouldn't even know what that is), they can claim and note all they want. When it comes down to it, you either take what they give or move to a new provider.

What I know for a fact: last week I upgraded my wife's Droid 2 for a Razr and she was able to keep her unlimited data. I upgraded my Droid X to a Razr Maxx and kept my unlimited data. I'm (hopefully) set for another couple years (just about)...then I'll see where things stand. If the plans are ridiculous and/or don't meet my needs, I'll go back to a basic prepaid phone.

Well its good you mention to have it documented because of the fact that there apps in the google play store where you can record a phone conversation!!..I think I might do that just so I have proof of some kind that my plan will not be changed...good thing you brought up the documentation part of this..

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that is sure is that the CFO said in an interview that unlimited was going away.
They updated the information in a press release.
At some point, when you get a subsidized phone you will need to sign a *NEW* contract, not an extension. That *NEW* contract will have *NEW* terms for tiered data and it will screw your current plan. Verizon can do this because when you buy a new phone they can force new terms not just extend if they like.

So if you buy a subsidized phone after some point you will need to adopt their new plan.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have (had?) an unlimited plan on 4G. I bought a Razr off Craigs List. Got a new sim card. A week later received a letter from Verizon stating my plan had changed to 4GB per month. Just haven't had time to call and complain. They are testing my nerves.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
And there was much hand ringing and gnashing of teeth over something that is at this point still unconfirmed.

Notes, promises, he said she said at this point the only thing truly confirmed is that at some point unlimited plans are going away. By the time this is actually official the specifics may be totally different than the 3567 rumors floating around at this time.

It sucks and I don't want to lose unlimited any more than the next person, but Verizon can and will do whatever they please. If they wanted they could put you on a tired plan tomorrow and tell you if you don't like it we can void your etf and you can go complain elsewhere. They could make it only for subsidized phones or for all phones. They can do whatever they please at the end of your current contract.

Just saying no sense in worrying, griping, calling, changing carriers over or sacrificing goats and covering yourself in ashes over nothing but conjecture at this point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAX using tapatalk 2

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have (had?) an unlimited plan on 4G. I bought a Razr off Craigs List. Got a new sim card. A week later received a letter from Verizon stating my plan had changed to 4GB per month. Just haven't had time to call and complain. They are testing my nerves.

They hanged your plan?

Did you do the SIM/phone change yourself? Or at the store?

I have a Droid X with unlimited data and your experience has gotten me a little worried....

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a Droid x and went into the store and upgraded to the Razr Maxx two days ago. They did not change my plan. Plus I figured if there was a sale in the meantime within 14 days ie father's day that i could go back and get the difference. But My unlimited did not change after upgrading. Not yet in effect.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48