Verizon Unlimited Data Confusion

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from a droid x to the MAXX , its suppose to show up tomorrow. The service rep said at least 3 times to get on my verizon as soon as its activated and make sure that my plan still shows unlimited data. If not call asap and get it changed because after 14 days it will be gone and can never get it back

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

rodeezie

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to believe the former rep's report but I'm with jmarrale, those reps, as is not uncommon with other carriers, are not always on the same page. I do believe, however, that IF this data overhaul IS in the cards for everybody, that would be a break in our initial contracts and Vzw would NOT want anyone to realize that as such and risk customers opting out altogether, yet they likely won't present that as an option either.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to believe the former rep's report but I'm with jmarrale, those reps, as is not uncommon with other carriers, are not always on the same page. I do believe, however, that IF this data overhaul IS in the cards for everybody, that would be a break in our initial contracts and Vzw would NOT want anyone to realize that as such and risk customers opting out altogether, yet they likely won't present that as an option either.

It is only in the cards for new customers and those that upgrade to get a subsidized price on a new device.

rodeezie

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I JUST heard from a Vzw employee that beginning June 20, the NOT unlimited data changes will go into effect. And while, yes its true that if you are a 4g customer PRIOR to the date of change, you will not be forced out of contract, as my previous post eluded, HOWEVER, this is a big HOWEVER, if you ever decide to upgrade your current DEVICE, you will automatically be ousted of your unlimited plan and made to choose from the new data pkgs.
So, either upgrade your device now or learn to love it, indefinitely.

Sent from my DROID RAZRMAXX using Android Central Forums

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Sure. You can keep your unlimited plan. You just have to pay full retail price for your phones from now on. It was clearly stated in the VZW press release, but you go ahead and buy a subsidized phone after June 28th and let us know how it goes? I was with Sprint for 15 years before coming to Verizon and they broke numerous promises and contracts during that time. A carrier can make up the rules as they go along. As the customer you will have the right to leave or stay but don't ever think that just because Verizon says right now that you will always have unlimited data that it will be so in the future.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I JUST heard from a Vzw employee that beginning June 20, the NOT unlimited data changes will go into effect. And while, yes its true that if you are a 4g customer PRIOR to the date of change, you will not be forced out of contract, as my previous post eluded, HOWEVER, this is a big HOWEVER, if you ever decide to upgrade your current DEVICE, you will automatically be ousted of your unlimited plan and made to choose from the new data pkgs.
So, either upgrade your device now or learn to love it, indefinitely.

Sent from my DROID RAZRMAXX using Android Central Forums

Uh.. thanks for reiterating known information. (28th though)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

buford07

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my phone to 4G phone. Will be here Friday. As we all know after the 28th of June you will no longer be able to keep your unlimited plan IF you upgrade your phone. I wanted the Samsung Galaxy 3 bad but rep said that you had to be under contract with new phone before the new plans take over. Can't get the Galaxy in until the 6th of July which is after the deadline. He said that you aren't actually under contract with new phone until it is activated. I went with the Droid Maxx to make sure I didn't have to give up my unlimited plan. I'm afraid all the preorders for the new Galaxy are going to get busted by the new plan because it will be too late when the phones arrive. After this no more upgrading through Verizon. Will have to buy my future phones outright to save my unlimited.

Sent from my Dinc2 using Tapatalk 2

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my phone to 4G phone. Will be here Friday. As we all know after the 28th of June you will no longer be able to keep your unlimited plan IF you upgrade your phone. I wanted the Samsung Galaxy 3 bad but rep said that you had to be under contract with new phone before the new plans take over. Can't get the Galaxy in until the 6th of July which is after the deadline. He said that you aren't actually under contract with new phone until it is activated. I went with the Droid Maxx to make sure I didn't have to give up my unlimited plan. I'm afraid all the preorders for the new Galaxy are going to get busted by the new plan because it will be too late when the phones arrive. After this no more upgrading through Verizon. Will have to buy my future phones outright to save my unlimited.

If people are crazy enough to spend 700 bucks on a phone your insane..I plan to either go through Ebay or Amazon for my next device because Verizon can shove it as far as me getting rid of my Unlimited Data...they can't make me do anything...I wont be surprised if people end up leaving them after there contracts are up..so..

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
So what if i want to give my mom my old inc2 instead of her regular phone..will they force us into the shared plan when she activates it cause it's a smart phone?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
So what if i want to give my mom my old inc2 instead of her regular phone..will they force us into the shared plan when she activates it cause it's a smart phone?

No they won't force her...they can't force a customer into anything..I would call and ask them..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Depends on when.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

The rep lied.
I just went through the pre-order online and the terms I agreed to were under my current 1400 minute plan.

The order confirmation specifically states that my plan is the nationwide 1400 Talk and Text. It's irrelevant when the phone arrives. It only matters when you place the order and what terms you agree to then. If that were not the case then you would never be able to activate a new phone because you would have to agree to new terms to activate a phone on a line and you don't.

So until they change the way the pre-order system works, you agree to terms based on the day you order, not based on the day that the phone arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes they can "force" her. A smart phone requires a data plan irregardless of how she got the phone.

But they won't force them into shared data, as there would be other tiered plans available.

franky311

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered my Samsung Galaxy S3 today. I called and asked the rep if I would be able to keep my unlimited plan if I upgraded, he told me that as long as I preorder and agree to the terms before the 28th of June I would have no problems. I ordered and when it asked about the plan I wanted the unlimited data option was there and preselected. I called again before payment and spoke to a different rep and was assured that I would not lose my unlimited plan and it was still an option to keep. He also told me that they can not force me to give it up, and as long as I keep my line I will keep the unlimited next upgrade also. So I preordered the SG S3 32gb and I only paid 149.99 for the phone and 30.00 for the upgrade fee which I would get back. I hope this helps others.

Last edited:

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am eligible for an upgrade on the 29th. I guess I'll loose the unlimited plan since the new plans go into effect on the 28th. This will affect all three phones on my family plan. Is there anyway around this besides paying full retail price for a phone? It looks like I'll have to stick with my current phone, pay full retail price, on go the the shared data plan. Just two days and that stinks.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48