Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Where would they go? AT&T no longer offers unlimited data and throttles unlimited data after 2GB anyhow. Sprint doesn't have 4G LTE very many places and neither does T-Mobile.

A lot of them go to TMobile or Sprint who advertize unlimited data but of course the performance just isn't there.

Oh and Straight Talk, but now they are starting to throttle more aggressively as well, so we will see how long that lasts.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure exactly what you are quoting but I think you seem to be glossing over this last part. If a person's usage is to the extend that it is hindering the network or the ability of others to use the network they can and will throttle or suspend you.
Yet there are people on Verizon Wireless using hundreds of GBs a month without any problem whatsoever.

A lot of them go to TMobile or Sprint who advertize unlimited data but of course the performance just isn't there.
As I posted before:

Sprint:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ouch/160271-average-texts-data-per-month.html
- "And about 10 gigs of data. Most I've ever capped out on was about 42 gigs"
- "I have between 10,000 and 20,000 texts a month, and I use about 15 GBs a month data-wise."
- "100 minutes, 500 texts, and 7-8GB of 4G."
- "I am at 1350 texts and about 11GB of data."
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ustomers-taking-advantage-unlimited-data.html
- "I average around 15GB/Month. I do not tether.
- "I am up to about 13GB and counting Crackle, YouTube, Pandora and Amazon and the beat goes on"
- "I use wireless tether and i download probably 30GB per month."
- "Pandora, YouTube, and web surfing, as well as, tethering. I average about 350-400GB a month. Last month saw my highest usage of 611GB Sprint has never said a word to me."
- "nice..... I just got my most recent bill. 14 gigs of 3g used. 1.1 gig 4g"
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint/145837-sprint-really-unlimited.html
- "Yeah I hit 18gigs lol. I'm sure that threw up a bright red flag."
- "I've been using at least 15GB with the EVO 3D due to faster download speeds. This month (12/30) I'm on track to hit 16GB"
- "I have been using between 7-15 GB of data per month since August 2010. I have never been slowed down or had a letter from sprint."

T-Mobile:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile/245076-has-anyone-switched-unlimited-4g-plan.html
- "Jan 18 - 27: about 17.24 GB used,"
- "I've read some users claim that they use 20GB/month on the plan and haven't been throttled yet."
- "On my post paid unlimited I went close 90 gigs streaming NBA and tennis games. Not a peep from T-Mobile."
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile/244038-unlimited-data-screens-hots.html
- "Dec 23, 2012 - Jan 15, 2013: about 27.58 GB used"
- "Dec 23, 2012 - Jan 24, 2013: about 40.84 GB used"
- "Jan 9 - Feb9: about 19.25 GB used"

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yet there are people on Verizon Wireless using hundreds of GBs a month without any problem whatsoever.
Only time will tell what Verizon will do now that more and more of Verizon's subscribers have 4G LTE devices, including the iPhone 5. I don't think it was any coincidence that Verizon stopped allowing those on unlimited to get a subsidized phone the summer before the iPhone 5 was released.

But to balance out the increase in 4G LTE devices, more people are being switched off of unlimited as they choose a subsidized phone over their unlimited data plan.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Only time will tell what Verizon will do now that more and more of Verizon's subscribers have 4G LTE devices, including the iPhone 5. I don't think it was any coincidence that Verizon stopped allowing those on unlimited to get a subsidized phone the summer before the iPhone 5 was released.
It's not a coincidence at all that AT&T and Verizon introduced data share plans before the introduction of the iPhone 5, because the carriers barely make any money off the iPhone as is (they pay $200 more per iPhone than with a flagship Android phone).

Source: Apple's subsidy makes iPhone a nightmare for carriers - Feb. 8, 2012

It only makes sense to remove early upgrades and unlimited data while raising monthly prices when the carriers have no choice but to sell the iPhone 16GB for $199 with contract, when in reality it should be $399 with contract. Users have been torrenting on Android devices for years now (something that the iPhone can't do without a jailbroken app), yet Verizon doesn't end unlimited data until the iPhone finally starts using LTE. It's not because of unlimited data, it's because of the iPhone.

jbnimbel

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Would appreciate any additional clarification as I just came from verizon company store, where I was told an upgrade transfer to another line ( line 2 does not have unlimited data plan) would eliminate the unlimited data from the origination line (line 1 with unlimited). Is this just a misinformed sales rep? Or has the loophole been closed? TIA.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Would appreciate any additional clarification as I just came from verizon company store, where I was told an upgrade transfer to another line ( line 2 does not have unlimited data plan) would eliminate the unlimited data from the origination line (line 1 with unlimited). Is this just a misinformed sales rep? Or has the loophole been closed? TIA.

Misinformed rep.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29