Very hot Droid - and a few other questions

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
I've a few questions about my new Droid that I can't find specific answers to right now. If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

1) The device gets very hot when in use, especially on the back camera 'panel'. Is this normal? Maybe someone could direct me to an app that would let me monitor the temp for irregularities.

2) The auto-adjust for screen brightness doesn't seem very effective. Is this a common issue? I was using it in a totally dark room last night, and it didn't dim at all - almost burnt my eyeballs. (It is turned on, if anyone was wondering whether I'm being thick.)

3) I can set a home page in the browser, but there doesn't appear to be a method to jump back to it at any moment. Does such a shortcut exist?

4) The Facebook app seems a little naff. I can get to my profile, but there isn't a method of navigating back to the menu of options other than hitting the return button several times. Thus, there is not straight forward manner of searching for friends when viewing my profile.

5a) The Gmail app: I have two Gmail accounts. To switch between inboxes, I currently select the menu button and choose 'Accounts'. I feel like there should be a left-right/right-left swipe option to move between inboxes. At least something a little more direct. Am I missing it?

5b) The Gmail app: When using my browser on my PC, I use only one of my Gmail accounts, forwarding everything from the other one into a specific label in the primary one. The 'send using' field is very important. Am I being a dunce, or does it not exist on the device?

I want to stress that I REALLY like the Droid, and that all the above questions are just me attempting to streamline my experience. So far I am way more impressed with it than my previous handset (the Blackberry Storm 9550).

Many thanks for any advice!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
1) Are you using a custom rom? If you are, is it overclocked? That would be one reason why that area gets hot.

There are various apps that let you monitor battery temps, or a tmep monitor on the system board, or an app that lets you monitor actual CPU temps, but you must have a specific kernel (Taz kernel) for it to work.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I've a few questions about my new Droid that I can't find specific answers to right now. If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

1) The device gets very hot when in use, especially on the back camera 'panel'. Is this normal? Maybe someone could direct me to an app that would let me monitor the temp for irregularities.

This is not normal if you are not overclocked or flashed to another ROM. It will get hot by the camera bc thats where the main processor is.

2) The auto-adjust for screen brightness doesn't seem very effective. Is this a common issue? I was using it in a totally dark room last night, and it didn't dim at all - almost burnt my eyeballs. (It is turned on, if anyone was wondering whether I'm being thick.)

The auto is good for some, and not so good for others. I would try managing it yourself and seeing how that works for you.

3) I can set a home page in the browser, but there doesn't appear to be a method to jump back to it at any moment. Does such a shortcut exist?

You can make your favorite page a bookmark, and then go to your bookmarks, highlight it and make a shortcut for your homescreen, then you have one click access to that site.

4) The Facebook app seems a little naff. I can get to my profile, but there isn't a method of navigating back to the menu of options other than hitting the return button several times. Thus, there is not straight forward manner of searching for friends when viewing my profile.

The Facebook app can be a pain, but sadly we are stuck with what we were given. You can use the above method for shortcuts and shortcut to the mobile facebook page, may be easier for you

5a) The Gmail app: I have two Gmail accounts. To switch between inboxes, I currently select the menu button and choose 'Accounts'. I feel like there should be a left-right/right-left swipe option to move between inboxes. At least something a little more direct. Am I missing it?

You are not missing anything that is how its set up. You could set one up in the gmail app and the other in mail, and then one pushes and one will pull, but it will seperate them for you.

5b) The Gmail app: When using my browser on my PC, I use only one of my Gmail accounts, forwarding everything from the other one into a specific label in the primary one. The 'send using' field is very important. Am I being a dunce, or does it not exist on the device?

Well, set your gmail account to send from what it was received under, and you should be set to go. It will respond from the account it was received under...right?

I want to stress that I REALLY like the Droid, and that all the above questions are just me attempting to streamline my experience. So far I am way more impressed with it than my previous handset (the Blackberry Storm 9550).

Many thanks for any advice!

Keep in mind, the Android isn't for everyone, some may rather the BlackBerry as it may better fit your needs. Check the red replies above and see if it helps ya any.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
Many thanks for the response. I'm a little concerned re: the heat, will keep an eye on it.

As for 5b) - it does work as you say, but if I were to compose a new email, I'm assuming I have no such choice from within one account?

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
My Droid gets really hot in the same place when playing 3D games (like Homerun Battle 3D). I think that might be somewhat normal because I'm not rooted\overclocked either, and like mentioned above, that's where the processor is. Mind you, it's not hot enough to make me stop touching the phone there, but noticeably hotter.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
My Droid gets really hot in the same place when playing 3D games (like Homerun Battle 3D). I think that might be somewhat normal because I'm not rooted\overclocked either, and like mentioned above, that's where the processor is. Mind you, it's not hot enough to make me stop touching the phone there, but noticeably hotter.

Playing games, browing the web, extensive use will cause the processor to work harder, hence the heat. You will notice this, and I wouldnt worry as long as it cools down once the game is complete.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight and advice. I'm keeping an eye on it, but as suggested, not too concerned because a) I can still touch the area even when hot, and b) it cools down when not actively being used.

Last edited:

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight and advice. I'm keeping an eye on it, but as suggested, not to concerned because a) I can still touch the area even when hot, and b) it cools down when not actively being used.

Awesome, you should be fine then. I understand the concern though because I was the same way when it got hot looking for wallpapers, then I did a little reading on it and found out I was good to continue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny