Vibration intensity decreased, new static sound with vibration and haptic

MaroondSkull

Nov 9, 2022
Visit site
I've got an ASUS ROG 5S, I've had for probably a year and a half. Suddenly, today, whenever my phone would vibrate (notifications, haptic feedback, etc.) The vibration is weaker and there's a new clearly audible static sound and vibration in its place. What could cause this and how could I fix it? I've had android phones since the first Droid came out, and I've never encountered this.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The motor could have come loose... or just be failing.. As for fixing it, how comfortable are you soldering SMDs to a board? Although I suppose it could be a separate component that is easily replaceable... you'd have to check iFixit or a youtube teardown.

In the mean time, have a google for how to access diagnostics on your phone, that will let you properly test the vibrator. If it's just sticky, you may even be able to fix it there.

MaroondSkull

Nov 9, 2022
Visit site
(OP) That's the only thing I can think of. It's weird that it would just happen spontaneously. My phone has been lying on a flat surface, charging, for the last couple hours, and it wasn't doing that before I plugged it in. But the sound plays with a softer vibration with any action that would normally have Haiti's feedback

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
(OP) That's the only thing I can think of. It's weird that it would just happen spontaneously. My phone has been lying on a flat surface, charging, for the last couple hours, and it wasn't doing that before I plugged it in. But the sound plays with a softer vibration with any action that would normally have Haiti's feedback

Welcome to AC!
Your the one that posted the question?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Okay, question - why did this actually fix the problem?? Restarted into safe mode, vibration and haptic worked fine. Restarted out of safe mode, still works fine, and I'm confused

First, I'm glad that worked! Second, it's possible that some 3rd party app was glitching and causing some kind of speaker and/or vibration motor interference.