Videos and games freezing on Galaxy S3

AndroidTrini

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks,

Really need help with this one. It really annoys me.

I have the international version of the S3 (i9300) which i got a couple weeks ago. Not too long after, while watching a video in the youtube app, the video froze for a few seconds while the audio continued to playing normally. The video then unfroze and sped up to sync back with the audio. This also occurs while running 3D games (Cordy, Shadowgun, Real Football 2012). This has been happening constantly over the couple of weeks. Outside of videos and 3D games, the phone runs fine.

This also started to occurred on my Galaxy S2 (i9100) just before i got the S3 which made me believe that maybe it was app that is causing the freezing. I have gone through uninstalling and reinstalling some of the apps that i thought may be the problem with no success. Attached are screen shoots of all the apps i currently have installed on the phone.

After days of searching online, I haven't found any cause or solution to the problem. Any idea what maybe causing this issue?

Phone is unlocked and all apps updated. Phone is running stock Samsung ICS 4.0.4

Would really appreciate assistance with this issue an i will be happy to provide any additional information.

AndroidTrini

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I would start over from scratch, and one by one install each app again, and test game/video each time.

I did that before and thought i had found the problem app...but it still continued after. I was hoping before i give another go at a fresh start to see if anyone knew which app was giving the problem.

Was really hoping to avoid resetting the device...sigh.

Thanks though

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could be that some of these apps haven't been updated to support the SGSIII.

Concerning the SGSII, not too sure what the problem could be there....

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Could also be that some of the apps aren't optimized for ICS.

But if you are saying that it did this with your previous non ICS phone, i would just have to say the apps have bugs.

In a desktop/laptop, you could narrow it down to the app, video subsystem, memory (ram) or the cpu. To narrow it down further, you could probably rule out the cpu due to the fact you still hear audio.

So that leaves you with the apps, video chipset or the memory (ram).

Sorry for the long explanation, I work on computers on the side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

AndroidTrini

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Could be that some of these apps haven't been updated to support the SGSIII.

Concerning the SGSII, not too sure what the problem could be there....

I think they are both related.
Thanks though.

Could also be that some of the apps aren't optimized for ICS.

But if you are saying that it did this with your previous non ICS phone, i would just have to say the apps have bugs.

In a desktop/laptop, you could narrow it down to the app, video subsystem, memory (ram) or the cpu. To narrow it down further, you could probably rule out the cpu due to the fact you still hear audio.

So that leaves you with the apps, video chipset or the memory (ram).

Sorry for the long explanation, I work on computers on the side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

The S2 was runnin offical samsung ICS 4.0.3. update at the time of the issue. It really could just be a bug in an app that isn't optimized for ICS. Thinking to just wait it out before i decide to reset the phone. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

AndroidTrini

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So last night i reinstalled the OS an re-installed apps one by one until i thought i found the problem app. Things were lookin fin up untill i feel asleep. However, wen i woke up this morning and played Real Racing 2 the freezing raised its ugly head again. Now im wondering if its hardware. Could it be ram?

AndroidTrini

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So i have come to the conclusion that the phone is over heating. When i'm in work where there is a/c, all games and video runs smoothly. However when im on the road or at home where i don't have a/c the issue shows itself again. sigh...