Voice to text punctuation commands have stopped working.

albertalaska

Nov 14, 2017
Visit site
I had this problem a few weeks ago and now again. My Huawei used to understand period, exclamation point, comma, question mark. Then it all stopped except when I said full stop it put a period. So for the second time in about 8 months I did a full factory reset and it all works again. There must be a better way.

lj lar

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I all of a sudden lost my punctuation marks also. They were working and just stopped. So I just turned my phone off, and removed the battery for a couple of minutes and put it back in. When I turned my phone back on, I got my punctuation back. Hope that works for others.

anon(10355794)

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Thank you lj lar. I was excited at the possible solution so I just removed my battery as you suggested. Unfortunately, this did not work for me.:( Still no punctuation by voice.

I really don't want to do a factory reset - never have and seems quite frightening to me. I really thought it was something in the last android update, but I guess not or everyone would be affected.

Will continue manually texting I guess.

Fam90

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed that in the last few weeks, first on my LG G3 and now on my Samsung Galaxy S8, that the google voice to text will not add any punctuation without the wifi or data on. PLEASE don't make us have wifi and data on to recognize punctuation. This is so frustrating that I have to switch it on to text people.

anon(10355794)

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I had a long online chat with Verizon since I last wrote. They had me do many things, none of which fixed the problem. Their last recommendation was also a factory reset, which I declined.
Verizon and I both hope this goes away in the next system update.

Like the above post, I had discovered that if I have any internet connection on (wifi or data), then dictating punctuation works. It does not work without an internet connection. It used to. Since I have discovered that, no way I will go through the headache of a total reset.

RonRaut

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I've been having same problem on LG K20V in voice to text. Just tried it with wifi on and no change. Tried it with mobile data on and it worked perfectly. Now I know. I agree, much better than factory reset, especially if factory reset might not work. Wait for next update, I guess.

jdf135

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
No punctuation? Pause Google voice activity

About the same time as I lost my punctuation, a pop up appeared each time I texted saying my texts were being recorded to my e-mail. I wondered if they were connected. After searching about this mysterious pop-up I learned there was a google account setting called "Google Voice & Audio Activity. "

Found it.

Paused it.

Got my punctuation back.

Getting more and more frustrated with Google and their "helpful" tech " (had no idea they were storing my texts!). iPhone here I come?

Tom2B

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Temporary fix Re: Voice to text punctuation commands have stopped working.

This lasts a couple of days, then I have to repeat the whole procedure. Your results may vary...

The issue seems to be in the GOOGLE app under Application Manager in settings. Scroll down to GOOGLE and select.

Click Turn Off button. Click OK to the "Delete all data..." dialogue.

Click the Uninstall button to revert to the factory version of GOOGLE. The app is now turned off, and has moved to the Turned Off list (scroll sideways to the right). At this point I restart my phone just for good measure (and throw a couple of chicken bones over your left shoulder, if you like).

After restart, return to Settings / Application manager, scroll all the way to the right to the Turned Off column. Now I find the app, except it's now called GOOGLE SEARCH. Select and click the Turn On button.

At this point, Voice Recognition (Speech-to-Text) now works again, although the UI has reverted to an older version; different behavior and messages).

Exit settings, go to Play Store, and UPDATE the app in My Apps & Games under the page control menu (upper left hand corner); it's listed as GOOGLE again here. I don't let anything else update at the same time because I'm impatient to get this done without interference from other 'jobs'.

Now things are back to as I expect them. But they will gradually deteriorate (corruption or memory problem?) over time.

Please update here if you find something more permanent. My own guess is that Google will have to 'patch' their most recent UPDATE for GOOGLE (app) before this is resolved.

-tom

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
, I'm typing this using my voice on a Galaxy S7 learning Android 7.0. He punctuation functions are working fine! I'm wondering what the problem could be? I had the update and haven't had to change a thing.

scottymocap

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
I discovered a much simpler fix where you don't have to delete anything. Go to Settings > Data Usage, then scroll down to "Google" and open that, if Restrict Background Data is checked, uncheck it. That worked for me.

Last edited:

josby

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I ran across this thread searching for a solution to this same problem, and ended up getting an idea from it that worked for me (on Blackberry KEYone running Android 7.1.1, FWIW):

Go into an app, bring up the voice dictation listening screen, then tap the gear icon there. In the settings screen that comes up, disable "Use offline speech recognition"

This works consistently for me - if I say "yeah comma that sucks exclamation point", the resulting message is "yeah that sucks" every time when I have Offline Speech Recognition enabled, and "yeah, that sucks!" every time I have it disabled.

I think this is the core of the issue, which explains why being on wifi or not and having background data restricted or not would effect it. If the recognition runs through Google's servers, you get punctuation; if it stays local inside the phone, you don't get it.

Hope this helps someone.

RoyB777

May 23, 2018
Visit site
Android Voice Punctuation Hopefully Sorted

IGNORE THIS! DOESN!T ALWAYS WORK.
I’ve found a way around this problem. Before you say, for example, 'comma', be sure you know what to say next, and then say it straight away after saying 'comma'. If you’re not sure what to say next, hold the 'comma' part. Then, when you know what to say next, carry on by beginning 'comma' and immediately saying it. Same with 'full stop' or 'period'. Right at the end you can just hold the final full stop and type it in.
I haven’t tried it, it but I’m guessing this will make all the voice punctuation commands work.

Last edited:

Sir Justin

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
FOUND A SOLUTION!

I have an S4, so your settings may differ slightly navigating to this solution. I have battled for months too.

Settings
My Device
Language and Input
Voice Input
I selected Basic Google recognition (From Google, Basic Google or Samsung). Note: I think I downloaded google voice to text at some point.
Click on the Cog/Settings
Languages
I selected English (Generic) ONLY. I had English UK and English (South Africa) selected too and ONLY when I deselected these then Voice-to-text punctuation started working again.

Zidds

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
I've tried everything in this thread so far. I think a couple may have worked, but only for a little bit or maybe I just felt they did. I did find out however that if I state a punctuation as fast as possible at the last word where I want it, also if I forgot or paused to think, saying the punctuation mark really fast before I continue on also works every time time. I know it never used to be like this. So far though, this is the only way I could get it work consistently.

fireweedinak

Mar 7, 2020
Visit site
Some cmmands have stopped working.

I have an S9. The problem started about a month to a month and a half ago. I have tried using both Goggle and Samsung keyboards. I also tried Gboard. In my case voice to text will acknowledge a question mark command and add a “?” and the same with “!”. But it will not acknowledge the word “period” and make the appropriate dot or a , for the word comma.