VZW Unlimited - FoxFi tethering on Nougat

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam.bean

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Being that Nougat no longer allows us to tether off FoxFi, curious to learn if there are any work arounds? Would rooting open up new options?

I debated about paying the $30 a month to add WiFi tethering; however, VZW states it will remove my unlimited data.

Also, when using FoxFi's Bluetooth mode, other phones/tablets can connect to my Bluetooth, but when enabling internet access on the target device, it does not work. Tried on an nVidia shield tablet and a Galaxy S5. It automatically switches from on to off without my interaction.

Perhaps it's finally time to cave and just give it up. To drop to a two phone, 40gb plan, only saves me $17. Seems silly to give up Unlimited for a measly $17, but losing tethering abilities has made Unlimited not as necessary.

Thanks

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Being that Nougat no longer allows us to tether off FoxFi, curious to learn if there are any work arounds? Would rooting open up new options?

I debated about paying the $30 a month to add WiFi tethering; however, VZW states it will remove my unlimited data.

Also, when using FoxFi's Bluetooth mode, other phones/tablets can connect to my Bluetooth, but when enabling internet access on the target device, it does not work. Tried on an nVidia shield tablet and a Galaxy S5. It automatically switches from on to off without my interaction.

Perhaps it's finally time to cave and just give it up. To drop to a two phone, 40gb plan, only saves me $17. Seems silly to give up Unlimited for a measly $17, but losing tethering abilities has made Unlimited not as necessary.

Thanks

Where does it state that adding the $30 unlimited tethering option will make you lose unlimited data?

adam.bean

May 31, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon phone rep stated this.

Also, just realized, you have to pay per phone to tether! Thought it would be for the account.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Verizon pre-paid plan and get three gig and thethering for $45.00 a month. Verizon really enjoys screwing their loyal post-paid customers. That's why I went to pre-paid. I don't need more data than that. I realize that won't work for everyone though.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I am on Verizon with unlimited too without tethering. I use the phone's built in Hotspot and it works fine. It doesn't check with Verizon for permissions. I have a Nexus 6P. Was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked

lobsta111

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I also have Vz unlimited with a Nexus 5X running 6.0.1. Foxfi works great for me & now I'm glad I did not update to Nougat. I just tried the hotspot on my phone & it won't allow me to activate the feature without going through Vz subscription. So, I have to stick with Nougat.
Al

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Debating switching to the new unlimited plans but fear I'll later regret. Would love to find resolution to this issue...

Modifying your device to bypass the carrier check for the hot spot/tethering subscription falls under the illegal activities category.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude