Wait for Lollipop or go ahead and Root?

Deferno54

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, my moto x 2013 sprint model has the bootloader unlocked and I would want to root it but I do not want to install a custom recovery yet to do so. I wonder if I should root the device already or wait for lollipop and then root it so then I do not have to lose all the data in my phone again to flash 5.0. Sure the update is coming out late but I mean I could wait, but then again I also couldn't.

Biggest factor for me is the memory in my phone. I do not want to lose all of my data again by flashing 5.0 lollipop on the moto x because I actually store a lot and I couldn't bear the patience to reget everything back.

So I am asking you guys what I should do... Wait for lollipop and then root or just go ahead and root right away?

Thanks!
Def:p

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you root it, you'll have to unroot it (and possibly flash the stock ROM if anything that can't be changed unless you're rooted gets changed while you're rooted - and some rooting apps do that) in order to get the update. So you risk having to restore everything that way. Once you update, you'll probably lose root anyway, if the update doesn't stop when it finds that the phone was or is rooted.

If you install TWRP, you can back up the data partition, then later restore it in one shot. It won't matter which version of Android you're on - that's in the System partition.

If you wait until the update, you have to hope that someone has found an exploit for that version (5.0? 5.0.1? 5.0.2?) for the X 2013. (Even if you don't, you'll still probably need a root method after the update.)

Keep reading Moto X - XDA Forums to see who comes up with what. (The only 2 reasons for rooting now are 1) because you want to do things you have to be rooted to do and/or 2) to prevent the phone from installing LolliFlop, you have to be rooted to turn off the updater.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582