want to root - problems setting up USB driver

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Want to root. I am still on 2.1-update 1, build number is 1.47.651.1. The following page makes rooting the Evo from the command line look pretty easy:

The easiest 1.47.651.1 root+nand unlock you'll ever see without a gui (Updated) - xda-developers

Problem is I can't get that far.

I am following the instructions on this page to install the SDK:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sdk-driver-root-oh-my

I installed the JDK (v6 update 22), Android SDK (rev 7), and downloaded/installed the USB Driver package. The instructions say that a "Found New Hardware" message will appear after plugging in the phone (it is in USB debugging mode). That message never appeared. I am not able to use "adb pull" to back up my apps so I am pretty sure there is no connection between the cmd window and the phone. Looking for suggestions.

Also wondering if I should just do Simpleroot. I already downloaded it and it's tempting to go that route. Any pitfalls? Will I be able to get support if it fails? Will it fail?

Thx...

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you connect the phone to the comp? U know, on the notification bar? Just cuz its in debug mode doesn't mean the comp will recognize it. I think its disk mode... try that and then you should be able to proceed

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
you should be able to access the adb and once you open adb if you're not in the phone directory you can navigate to the tools folder to pull files. to push them you should only need to open the adb. the phone doesn't have to be in disk mode or whatever to push files to it. also... you need to follow the instructions in the first steps of root before you can use simple root (FTW)! you'll have to push the pc36img.zip and a few others... can remember. there's also a sticky here on AC.

don't run simple root till the instructions tell you to. read thru the instructions in their entiretybefore doing anything. if u have a question ask first, then start the process.

happy rooting.

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
OK, thanks for offering to back me up. I guess I will go the Simpleroot route. Simpleroot doesn't appear to need any files except what's in the 1-click distribution for 1.47.651.1 phones (which is what I have). Is that correct?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I installed the JDK (v6 update 22), Android SDK (rev 7), and downloaded/installed the USB Driver package. The instructions say that a "Found New Hardware" message will appear after plugging in the phone (it is in USB debugging mode).

The USB drivers that come with the SDK did not work with my EVO but the ones from HTC do. Download and install the HTC Sync (available on HTC site). It installs two things on your PC, the USB drivers and some sync app. After you install you can remove the sync app if you don't want to use it (I did).

You may want to uninstall the SDK drivers before you do that (in Windows from Device Manager).

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
To get your phone recognized in adb, download HTC sync, and the sdk. Then you should be set with that.

Simpleroot has all the files, just make sure you have Microsoft NET installed ( it will prompt you to install it )

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Guess simpleroot has changed since I used it? I had to do the adb pushes with the pc36img and rangeagainstthecage and so on... so I'm glad they made it easier. I hope you don't run into any issues

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Do I HAVE to correct you if you wrong? Or can I just say your wrong... just to say it and yank ur chain... LOL

So you don't ban me for life... your right. You're... always right.