Warning!! Do not let your battery die!

JN81

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
This isn't just a Samsung problem, I think it is an Android problem because the same thing happened to my HTC 10 the week before Thanksgiving. Been using an S8+ ever since but I haven't let it go to 0% yet.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This isn't just a Samsung problem, I think it is an Android problem because the same thing happened to my HTC 10 the week before Thanksgiving. Been using an S8+ ever since but I haven't let it go to 0% yet.
No it's neither. It's a known risk for all lithium ion batteries. Although the units for Samsungs may possibly have defects, all lithium ion batteries have a risk of discharging below critical level if you let it drain to zero. Some companies cough*Apple*cough manage this by telling you the phone has zero percent left but it actually has 5% left. There are also rumors that 100% on an iPhone is actually 95% capacity.

Whatever the cause, fact remains that discharging to zero carries risks. I wouldn't even experience this issue at all if I had a Note 8 with battery problem like this.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Even without this issue, you shouldn't be letting your battery die in the first place anyway. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
While I agree, but sometimes you may be in certain circumstances where you are in locations out of reach of chargers etc when it completely runs out of charge. Or personally like me (odd case) who has multiple devices, when I switch between then sometimes I leave the phone unattended for days which case it would run out of charge. There are many other instances and not every case it's because someone purposefully let's the battery drain to 0%.

Personally, I don't know if it's a real problem or not but I don't think solution is don't let it drain to 0% since that may happen sometimes for variety of reasons.

DarkSorrow

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had issues with mine. It's died a few times and always powered back on when charging. I have 3 24500 mah power banks though around the house and car. Screenshot_20171231-155430.jpg

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This must be a Snapdragon Samsung problem . I have let my Exynos Note8 has die a few times and each time I just plug in to the charger and it charges no problem.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
While I agree, but sometimes you may be in certain circumstances where you are in locations out of reach of chargers etc when it completely runs out of charge. Or personally like me (odd case) who has multiple devices, when I switch between then sometimes I leave the phone unattended for days which case it would run out of charge. There are many other instances and not every case it's because someone purposefully let's the battery drain to 0%.

Personally, I don't know if it's a real problem or not but I don't think solution is don't let it drain to 0% since that may happen sometimes for variety of reasons.

Surely Samsung should be forcing the phones to power off before absolute zero? I had a Huawei P10 before my N8 and when it got to 3% (I'm sure?) it notified you that you had 30 seconds to connect to a charger or it was shutting down which it normally did because I was fumbling around trying to find charger

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Even without this issue, you shouldn't be letting your battery die in the first place anyway. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I've seen so many threads about this issue, and I have been waiting to see someone besides myself with this thought.

I charge my phone whenever I want, in the car, overnight, when I'm watching TV, etc.

I am aware also that there are people who for whatever reason buys every new phone, so they have multiple devices, which makes me think of something else.

Stats say that most people don't have $1000 saved, have no emergency or retirement fund, and have a mountain of credit card debt.

I sincerely hope that those who have to have all of the latest toys take care of those financial needs first.

Sophie Fournier

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

I just had this problem earlier today. I had never had an issue with charging my few month old Galaxy S8. Today I let it completely drain to 0%, it wasn't the first time though! I plugged it in and got a black screen with a lighning bolt in a circle. I tried a few different combinations of charging cords, wall adapters and outlets and got the same symbol a few times but the phone never seemed to charge. Then it stopped doing anything at all. I tried holding the power button down and holding the power and volume down buttons together. Nothing worked. Finally in a last ditch effort, I put my phone on my old "slow" charging wireless charger... nothing happened. I then plugged in my fast charger cord at the same time and held down the power and volume down button and low and behold the safe boot option screen came up! I have no idea why it worked, but it did.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
My Note 8 recently ran out of battery and shutdown completely. I didn't try to do anything other than charging and it came back rocking.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The times my phone went to 0% and shut off was never intentional. It's due to circumstances where my powerbanks have not been charged up and I have no way of charging my phone. However, my phone always turned back on once I did plug it in to charge. Never had the issue where it didn't

wkupharm1

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
My Note 8 died overnight this weekend, while taking updates. Sunday morning I woke up to a dead phone, that would not charge. My buddy works for a company, who happens to refurb some of the phones AT&T take back. He told me the most common way they fix this issue when they come around, is to connect a wireless charger and once they are paired, connect the regular fast charger at the same time. I did this, and in about 30 seconds my phone had the lightning bolt on the display, and about 5 minutes later it was at 10%. Note the wireless charger I have, is one I used with my S6 Edge that I bought off Amazon for like 15 bucks...its not a fast charger, but it did the job for me.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
My Note 8 died overnight this weekend, while taking updates. Sunday morning I woke up to a dead phone, that would not charge. My buddy works for a company, who happens to refurb some of the phones AT&T take back. He told me the most common way they fix this issue when they come around, is to connect a wireless charger and once they are paired, connect the regular fast charger at the same time. I did this, and in about 30 seconds my phone had the lightning bolt on the display, and about 5 minutes later it was at 10%. Note the wireless charger I have, is one I used with my S6 Edge that I bought off Amazon for like 15 bucks...its not a fast charger, but it did the job for me.

i am very curious as to how you could possibly pair your 'dead phone' with the wireless charger???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge