way to get my text messages from my tablet

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know a way access texts on my cell from my tablet? My reasoning is that I want use my Thunderbolt(phone) as my router and be able walk around my house w/ my tablet, but still have access to the messages I may be recieving on my phone.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The txt from ur carrier will not forward to the tab without an app to handle it but if u setup google voice on ur tab u can use that to send and receive txt with ur tab and ur tab will even have its own number all free.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
When just looking around the Tablified Market (download that from the regular Android Market - it only lists apps compatible with tablets), I saw two or three different apps that do exactly what you're asking. They're under one of the categories on the left - try "Communication" or something. I don't have my Prime next to me.

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I heard the app tablet talk can do that, but have not tried it myself. You might try giving that a look.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Tablet talk works great. U have to be in bluetooth range for that though. SyncSMS uses wifi I believe

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Dolfy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there was something available that would allow me to text from my tablet. This is just pure sweetness! :D

MaxPat

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I use an app on my phone called 'remote web desktop' that allows you to access and send text messages if you are connected to the same network on your phone and tablet. It also let you do more but I use it for this purpose. And its free, with a paid version for more features.

Nex2knotN

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if there was something available that would allow me to text from my tablet. This is just pure sweetness! :D

You can get textPlus app from the Market. I use it on my Nexus and iPad and other Tabs without any issues.

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Get a google voice number! That is the easiest way. I get texts instantly on my prime. You won't regret it. You will actually be able to make calls form your Prime on wi-fi after you get your google voice number. That app wasn't free but its great. Google Voice + Groove IP = awesome.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Back to the drawing board. None of these seem to be working as I had planned.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, there are three quite common methods of accomplishing this.

• The first is SyncSMS, by d0lph1nK1ng. It syncs text messages, using a Dropbox account (you'll need to sign up for one, but it's free for the amount of space required for something like this). You don't need the phone in close proximity to the tablet, but a network connection is required on both devices. Push notifications are available, although as a 'beta' feature.

• The second is TexTab, by howettl. It uses Bluetooth to make the transfers, so no Dropbox-style file hosting service is required, however you need the phone to be in the tablet's Bluetooth range.

• The third option, which I use, is Google Voice. I prefer the integration (no relying on phone range, file sharing sites, or polling). I receive voicemail notifications and the ability to listen to them in the same inbox. I love the setup. A lot. Phone/tablet/chrome (on my docked laptop) are all notified within three seconds of each other when a new text is received. Google voice uses push notifications on all devices (incl. Chrome, although not technically a device), which has been awesome on my Tab 10.1 in my experience.
The use of polling instead of push notifications is something you should definitely keep an eye out for.

Polling is commonly used when push notifications aren't an available feature. This is when an app repeatedly checks every X amount of seconds/minutes/etc. for new messages, instead of being notified from the cloud/other device. Receiving a normal text on your phone is a push notification. It's pushed to your phone. Facebook checking for new friend requests every hour is polling. As such, polling usually means you won't always be notified of new messages right when you get them.

Back to the drawing board. None of these seem to be working as I had planned.

SyncSMS and TexTab can each be found in the Market and on XDA (via a search on XDA or Google). If you've tried these, and they aren't working too well, then they may require a bit of tweaking. Depending on your situation (devices, carriers, etc.) and which app(s) you're using, you may need to select/deselect some options in these apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonneh

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
actually after caving and buying SyncSMS, and some fiddling with the settings I finally got it to work as I had wanted... Extremely happy with the performance now :)

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
actually after caving and buying SyncSMS, and some fiddling with the settings I finally got it to work as I had wanted... Extremely happy with the performance now :)

What settings did you find that improved performance? I've enabled push but have not had enough time to observe the differences

Tapatalked

tdosthp

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I use MySMS and have been failry impressed. I do not use the app on the phone, instead I just let it operate in the background, as I prefer the stock messaging app.

Reactions: fuzzer

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
SyncSMS was the only one that didn't require phone and tablet to be on the same network. Since I use my phone as my router I was having a couple issues with the other apps. As far as settings, I just kind of fiddled with stuff that seemed useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86