We got pwned by the RAZR!!

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Lol that non removable battery would be a deal breaker, only because I already have the Bionic. If I wasn't rocking this thing, I'd go straight to RAZR. But I love this thing anyways, there won't be a huge difference between the two in terms of software and such, you'll just feel like you're carrying a brick (just like every single other smartphone user now) compared to carrying a razor (lol). So don't feel left out so much, both Bionic and RAZRs are great phones. And I think the Bionic will continue to be more popular because everyone bought one already lol. It'll be hard to switch now.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Does the release of the razor make the bionic a bad phone.... no. A bad value YES.

The once cent deal through amazon was great... something in the 100 range would make sense now that ics phones are being released.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The bionic should have come out soon after the thunderbolt. The delay really put it on a short timeline before the next round of phones hit. Its getting ridiculous how fast improved phones are coming out.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that this is a direct response to the underwhelming announcement of the 4S?

I would think that the release of the RAZR in Nov was not in the original plans. I would bet that Motorola had its sights set on milking the Bionic through the inevitable iPhone 5 mania, and then releasing the RAZR once some headlines could be taken back.

However, once 4GS was unveiled, it became readily apparent to Motorola that if the RAZR was anywhere close to completion, that they needed to get it in before the holiday season.

The RAZR is the Motorola equivalent of the iPhone. It makes sense to have it compete against the softest iPhone entry yet, and gain what market share it can. This probably screws up their early 2012 release schedule, and I'd be willing to bet there are some bugs due to a bumped up release schedule, but I do think it's a smart idea for Motorola.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arelunde

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that this is a direct response to the underwhelming announcement of the 4GS?

Not me. In part because the 4S (I assume that you are talking about the iPhone 4S - or is the 4GS something else?) has been phenomenally successful. Did you miss the news that they sold out the preorders? That they sold 4 million devices in one week? How is this underwhelming?

Second, because phones are developed over very long cycles - at least a year - and there is no way to rush something like this to market without cutting corners or taking compromises. For example, you plan on a specific processor being available in bulk starting at a particular time. If you try to rush it out, you may have to choose a different CPU or chipset (in part to meet cost/profitability requirements), which may require different manufacturing processes, different drivers, etc., etc.

The Bionic was delayed - by a lot. The Razr, apparently, was not. Their release times coincided more than originally planned. That's all.

The Bionic is still a great phone - right?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah they confirmed it early. LTE and Super Amoled qHD

wow...that really irritates me. super amoled huh...? maybe i should have listened to my instincts and waited it out. then again theres ALWAYS something better on the horizon, no matter what. just like the bionic, some will love and some will hate. i still like my bionic, its the only device that ive owned that i was actually able to see in sunlight

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Not me. In part because the 4S (I assume that you are talking about the iPhone 4S - or is the 4GS something else?) has been phenomenally successful. Did you miss the news that they sold out the preorders? That they sold 4 million devices in one week? How is this underwhelming?

Second, because phones are developed over very long cycles - at least a year - and there is no way to rush something like this to market without cutting corners or taking compromises. For example, you plan on a specific processor being available in bulk starting at a particular time. If you try to rush it out, you may have to choose a different CPU or chipset (in part to meet cost/profitability requirements), which may require different manufacturing processes, different drivers, etc., etc.

The Bionic was delayed - by a lot. The Razr, apparently, was not. Their release times coincided more than originally planned. That's all.

Yup, 4S. And I know about their sales, but this is still Apple's softest iPhone entry, and I do think that Motorola realized opportunity beyond those who would buy whatever comes out with an "i" in front of it.

And I know about the development cycles as well, and to say that you have 2 months worth of buffer built into that timeline is not unheard of, especially if things happen to proceed on schedule from the getgo. It's a lot better to explain to investors that you made a strategic decision to release a phone ahead of schedule, than to explain missing targets because of a delay.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've heard this will be Global. So its overall a different phone. I wonder will they do like they did with the Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global. The 2 got replaced real quick by the Global. If so that should make some Bionic owners feel a lil better when its time to get a replacement.

I'm actually still leaning towards the Bionic.....but by a lil bit now after the RAZR announcement. Small things like outdoor viewing might make a difference to me. But the battery life claims has me really wanting the RAZR.

Either way since I cant get either phone til Nov., I will either get the RAZR when it launches or I can probably get the Bionic cheaper by then. Gotta get more info on LTE tech and cpu,gpu with the RAZR.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
OK. I've changed my stance on this. I'm really ticked at Moto for doing this. They sold me a Bionic knowing that the Razr was right around the corner. I'm also ticked at Wendy's. They sold me a Big Bacon Classic when they knew that Dave's Hot 'n Juicy Cheeseburgers were right around the corner. I'm ticked at Toshiba for selling me a laptop with a core i5 processor when one with a core i7 was right around the corner. I'm ticked at Toastmaster for selling me a 2 slot toaster when a 4 slot toaster was right around the corner. I'm ticked at Marvel studios for selling me a ticket to Thor when Captain America was right around the corner, and I'm ticked at Verizon for selling me unlimited data when tiered data was right around the corner. I'm just ticked at everyone! Grrrrr

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
OK. I've changed my stance on this. I'm really ticked at Moto for doing this. They sold me a Bionic knowing that the Razr was right around the corner. I'm also ticked at Wendy's. They sold me a Big Bacon Classic when they knew that Dave's Hot 'n Juicy Cheeseburgers were right around the corner. I'm ticked at Toshiba for selling me a laptop with a core i5 processor when one with a core i7 was right around the corner. I'm ticked at Toastmaster for selling me a 2 slot toaster when a 4 slot toaster was right around the corner. I'm ticked at Marvel studios for selling me a ticket to Thor when Captain America was right around the corner, and I'm ticked at Verizon for selling me unlimited data when tiered data was right around the corner. I'm just ticked at everyone! Grrrrr

I'm ticked at wife #1, because wife #2 (much improved model!) was "right around the corner". :)

beermanmike

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone saying they would get the Bionic with knowing the RAZR would be out this quick is kidding themselves. I would bet most people would wait for the RAZR if given the choice between the Bionic on it's release day or saying they can wait untill Oct 28th to preorder the RAZR then show them the presentation. My company has bought 30+ Bionics on my boss and I's recommendation and while not a bad call for us (We love the Bionic and it's been a successfull deployment) it's hard to think what might of been if we waited a month. Bad move moto.

I doubt I can justify trading my phone in for this one as my company is already tired of this new phone talk as it's another expense that is slightly justifiable and my boss as well as others are older and set in their old ways of "what does it do for you different than the Bionic" or "why do you want it" and don't understand or maybe their right...sigh. Either way i love the Bionic and if I don't get the RAZR it's fine either way and im on the fence for the whole thing but a real dick move by Moto.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone saying they would get the Bionic with knowing the RAZR would be out this quick is kidding themselves. I would bet most people would wait for the RAZR if given the choice between the Bionic on it's release day or saying they can wait untill Oct 28th to preorder the RAZR then show them the presentation. My company has bought 30+ Bionics on my boss and I's recommendation and while not a bad call for us (We love the Bionic and it's been a successfull deployment) it's hard to think what might of been if we waited a month. Bad move moto.

I doubt I can justify trading my phone in for this one as my company is already tired of this new phone talk as it's another expense that is slightly justifiable and my boss as well as others are older and set in their old ways of "what does it do for you different than the Bionic" or "why do you want it" and don't understand or maybe their right...sigh. Either way i love the Bionic and if I don't get the RAZR it's fine either way and im on the fence for the whole thing but a real dick move by Moto.

Well I think that anyone who thinks they would rather have the Razr knowing that it will be buggy at release and by that time most(if not all) of the Bionic's bugs will be gone is kidding themselves.
So please don't try to tell me what my preference in phones is.

marleyinoc

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
different batteries - Again I prefer being able to remove and replace my own battery.

differentw screens - I prefer the pentile display, it looks great outdoors and I spend alot of time outside.

different form - I personally think the RAZR is ugly, I dont like the corners on the device at all and could care less if its thinner.

And then there is the other side of the specturm, im sure there are plenty of people who feel just the opposite....hence caters to different crowds.

Well said. I can see the razr appealing to some folk and why the quick release would mae some folks feel burned. But as someone said the release cycle isn't going to stop because one of the models was severely delayed. And I'm glad the Bionic wasn't scrapped--it rocks in the sun, has good battery life (and replaceable) and I couldn't help but feel good that some cool features of ics are already on the bionic in a way via, gasp, blur.

mjwalsh

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, crappy move by Moto so soon after the bionic launch, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little annoyed (although they are not really that different).

I will be very interested to see the reviews for the Razr, I have a suspicion battery life is going to be a big problem due to LTE, Super Amoled and the fixed battery (there is a reason that they are already talking about battery optimization software). I love the flexibility of the bionic to choose between the stock or extended battery depending on whether I am travelling or not.

To be honest, I think the Razr will be overshadowed due to the Nexus + ICS launching most likely on the same day. Also, this might just be me, but I much prefer the design of the Bionic to both the Razr and the Nexus.

Also, its not just Moto that have pulled this trick, Samsung have essentially replaced the galaxy S2 with the Galaxy nexus in an even shorter period of time!

Lets hope for ICS on the bionic soon, looks pretty awesome!

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well folks its all down hill from here. Since the market is starting to saturate with phones and people are locked into contracts, you will see more and more people being pissed off. People simply can't afford to keep switching phones. Google, carriers, and manufacturers need to take the time to make their products work before they are released them. I would be more than happy with a phone with GB that was bug free. If this doesn't change it will be Androids downfall, its already headed in that direction.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well folks its all down hill from here. Since the market is starting to saturate with phones and people are locked into contracts, you will see more and more people being pissed off. People simply can't afford to keep switching phones. Google, carriers, and manufacturers need to take the time to make their products work before they are released them. I would be more than happy with a phone with GB that was bug free. If this doesn't change it will be Androids downfall, its already headed in that direction.

I think that most people (i.e., the types of people who don't post in forums like this) buy a phone every twenty months to two years and don't think twice about it until it's time to upgrade again, unless they have problems with their phone (which will happen generally as soon as they get it.) A new, better phone coming out just doesn't matter - because the phone that they bought it still great.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
If you purchased your Bionic in the last 14 days - you may want to hold onto it. It will surly be a collectors edition. I venture to bet that not ONE SINGLE Bionic @299 will sell forward of 10/18/2011 ----- Bionic is for all intensive purposes DEAD.

Reactions: Fable

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
this is just silly, the two phones have almost identical specs with subtle differences. some will like one over the other and vise versa. I know I will be getting my wife a Bionic in a couple months for a few reasons; 1:most if not all the bugs will be worked out 2:replaceable battery 3: easier for me to deal with her having the same phone as me 4: it will probably be cheaper 5: it will most likely have the boot loader unlocked for overclocking, and be running ics.

maybe the razor is better for some, but it wont be for all. having a choice of devices is good people.

Reactions: jroc

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
That thinness will do your super Amoled screens in like paper watch it, a phone that big without the sturdy support for that screen is an accident waiting to happen, mark my words, within days of its release you will begin to see the screen breaks listed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson