We got pwned by the RAZR!!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
After all my ranting earlier, I'm now starting to think that D3 owners are the ones who really got the shaft. The LTE upgrade is BY FAR the biggest improvement and much more so than anything from the Bionic to the Razr.

I'm also wondering (and this is something I saw in the comments to the D4 on the frontpage of AC) if Moto is just shooting out all of their phones that have hardware buttons - that may have actually been planned to be released a little later than what it currently looks like - because of how ICS works/can work without hardware buttons? Not sure if there's any truth to that, but it's a decent little conspiracy.

And again, after all my ranting, looks like I'm swapping out the iP4 for a Bionic. It's time I come back to the light side, where little green men rule. I just can't stomach the 7 bills after taxes that a Razr will set me back.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
agreed, the droid 4 has got to have pissed off the droid 3 people.

As a Droid 3 person who exchanged from the Bionic 10 days ago - no, I'm not pissed at all. I have a great phone with a 3G network that I can rely on to stay up, and a battery life that matches the Bionic set to CDMA only - so better than running the Bionic on LTE. (Actually, it's better because the extended battery for the D3 makes the phone about a hair thicker, instead of what the Bionic extended does, and D4 owners will not have an extended battery option.)

The way I figure it is this: phones come out, and better devices will follow in a few months. I can wait forever to upgrade my phone, or I can just get what's great now, and in 20 months I can get what's great then - a few months before the people who get D4s will, who will, of course, a few months after that get a great phone, too.

I do hope that, for the sake of Bionic owners, Razr owners, Galaxy Nexus owners, and D4 owners, that VZW and Moto get LTE stable and mature.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
As a Droid 3 person who exchanged from the Bionic 10 days ago - no, I'm not pissed at all. I have a great phone with a 3G network that I can rely on to stay up, and a battery life that matches the Bionic set to CDMA only - so better than running the Bionic on LTE. (Actually, it's better because the extended battery for the D3 makes the phone about a hair thicker, instead of what the Bionic extended does, and D4 owners will not have an extended battery option.)

The way I figure it is this: phones come out, and better devices will follow in a few months. I can wait forever to upgrade my phone, or I can just get what's great now, and in 20 months I can get what's great then - a few months before the people who get D4s will, who will, of course, a few months after that get a great phone, too.

I do hope that, for the sake of Bionic owners, Razr owners, Galaxy Nexus owners, and D4 owners, that VZW and Moto get LTE stable and mature.

to each his own--I love 4G speed. it's what I've waited for since my POS Storm was eligible for retirement this past Feb, but I didn't like the preceding 3 4G phones Verizon offered.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The Droid 3 has been out for how long???
July, Aug, Sept, Oct.

I would be fine if the Razr had been rumored 3.5 months after with no release date.
Here we have a device that was launched less than 6 weeks after the release date of the Bionic and will ship almost exactly 2 months after the Bionic started shipping.

Coupled with the fact that my Bionic (#2) has the audio whine issues, as most do, along with camera issues, hurts.
Now if the Razr does not have the same issues and they fail to fix the Bionic, what am I to assume?

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
im not hating on bionic but, i would definitely be pissed if i bought a bionic. i mean think about it, the real question is, who would have bought the bionic if the rzr was available at same time? not many! it made know sense for VZW to offer both phones so close to each other.

Orcares

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The Razr has the same SoC as the Bionic, you should not expect any difference. My Bionic is extremely fast.

I think you should get an iphone - no widgets, no real multi-tasking and no unapproved apps - it should stay fast because they don't give you the ability to screw it up.

^ This. So full of win.

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
this is a great thread. It's funny that as soon as the next new phone comes out there are people who can't believe they were dumb enough to buy the last new phone that came out. I got a droid x and I'm still really happy with it. There hasn't been one that has come out yet that makes me want to ditch my x. It's fast and never gives me problems and you guys think the Bionic is slow. For real I will trade you. I love my x but I will take a free Bionic. Either way carry on.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
this is a great thread. It's funny that as soon as the next new phone comes out there are people who can't believe they were dumb enough to buy the last new phone that came out. I got a droid x and I'm still really happy with it. There hasn't been one that has come out yet that makes me want to ditch my x. It's fast and never gives me problems and you guys think the Bionic is slow. For real I will trade you. I love my x but I will take a free Bionic. Either way carry on.

If I didnt wanna finally try LTE and my Droid X wasnt beat to death with a big crack in the screen, 2 black spots on the screen and the piece covering the mic gone under the hard keys...I might be sticking with my Droid X....ok I might be lying...lol

But I feel ya. The GB update made my Droid X alot better. But its time for me to try some LTE to see what I'm missing. For real the Bionic is still on my list...and I pre ordered tha RAZR today.

jensinger83

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
im not hating on bionic but, i would definitely be pissed if i bought a bionic. i mean think about it, the real question is, who would have bought the bionic if the rzr was available at same time? not many! it made know sense for VZW to offer both phones so close to each other.

I would have gotten the Bionic. I love mine! It's essentially the same only not as thin, not the same screen, and you can remove the battery. What happens when your battery decides to take a crap on you if you have the Razr? What happens if you need a battery pull to solve the issue? Can't do that on the Razr.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I would have gotten the Bionic. I love mine! It's essentially the same only not as thin, not the same screen, and you can remove the battery. What happens when your battery decides to take a crap on you if you have the Razr? What happens if you need a battery pull to solve the issue? Can't do that on the Razr.
Well the obvious course of action would be to trade that bad boy in for a G-Nex, or be a brave soul and pry that kevlar remote control open and replace the battery yourself. :p

But in all honesty, this is one of the biggest things that I'm on the fence about this phone. But if you look at the history of other phones with sealed batteries (iPwned), they've actually done quite well.

jensinger83

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well the obvious course of action would be to trade that bad boy in for a G-Nex, or be a brave soul and pry that kevlar remote control open and replace the battery yourself. :p

But in all honesty, this is one of the biggest things that I'm on the fence about this phone. But if you look at the history of other phones with sealed batteries (iPwned), they've actually done quite well.

That is true. I had the iPhone 4 for about 6 mo. I had the Droid Eris before that and just got the Bionic a month ago. I actually didn't have any battery probs on the iPhone. I guess we won't know until the Razr actually comes out! :)

1LoudLS

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you know what really grinds my gears?

that all the way up until i bought my Bionic (that i waited for with an upgrade available for four months), i was watching all of the leaks and blurry pics of the RAZR and knew it would be a better phone, but i figured since it took them most of a year to crank this phone out, there would be no way that i would be able to wait another 8 months for this new phone to come out, so i went ahead and bit the bullet on the bionic.

well you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know what would happen it you really did try to see if you could catch a bullet with your teeth.

Bretski

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Well from the people that have pre reviewed it, it looks pretty sweet. Also my bionic is soooooo slow right now. Trying swipe between pages on the desktop is nearly impossible including opening the app drawer. I am not sure if this as to do with all the apps I have on my front three desktop pages but I can't stand it anymore. I shouldn't have to wait 30 seconds to open my app drawer. Also I lose cell coverage more then I ever did on my OG Droid.

Imo I believe that people post here and find anything wrong with a really great phone to justify moving to a newer phone because it's newer. I have intermittent coverage issues but that is a known issue with a NEW phone that is to be fixed with an upcoming update. Most new phones are not bug free and require some sort of update in order to correct that.

As far as the phone being slow...well it could be third party software that is causing a problem, I too have experienced this and have noted that and app may be sucking the life out of my resources, especially ones that require internet and update frequently.

I hope you find a happy solution to your dilemma and to EVERYONE that wants a new phone, why not just say, "I want what the new phone offers" without complaining about another really great phone?

Reactions: jroc

McBane

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to know is the battery life on the new Razr. Since it's super thin it seems like they would have to ditch on the battery some. With all the features of the Razr I bet it's battery life is terrible, but I could be wrong.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to know is the battery life on the new Razr. Since it's super thin it seems like they would have to ditch on the battery some. With all the features of the Razr I bet it's battery life is terrible, but I could be wrong.

We'll find out when it comes out, but I believe that the battery is the same size as the Bionic - it is thinner because the battery is not removable, so they can ditch the battery module for a custom-shaped and sized module.

Motorola also detailed some custom app called SmartActions to manage battery life. It looks a lot like the custom app Locale, or Tasker, so something like it. However, I see no reason why they cannot provide this to the Bionic as part of a future OTA, or a downloadable app.

IRSmurf

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I still love my Bionic. The only thing that could make me regret buying Bionic is the inability to run apps. And I don't think this newer, sexier phone will do that much better.

I'll think this Bionic will easily keep me content for two years.

(But the bug that fails installs and makes apps disappear is really making me angry!)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The built in battery is slightly larger (capacity) than the bionic's default battery, but much smaller than the extended battery. I have an extended battery which gets me well through my day and don't even need to think about charging. I'm sure with the Razr I would have to worry about it. Which is why I didn't bother using my upgrade to preorder. I'm happy with my phone.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but it strikes me that the people who are the most upset over the (very) small upgrade in performance from the Bionic to the RAZR are the ones who should be LEAST attracted to the RAZR in the first place.

If like me, you plan to get the most performance out of your phone over it's lifespan, you're probably going to root and ROM your phone. Probably several times. You're probably going to swap radio basebands, kernals, and whatever else you can get away with while you're at it.

I did all those things on my OG Droid and it kept it as a competitive phone really, right up until now. CM7, Petes GPA builds, Bugless Beast, and overclocking were the way to go.

I can't even begin to tell you how many hard resets/battery pulls I had perform as a result of that. You try a buggy nightly release, or even a not quite finished RC build and yup - phone froze, gotta pull the battery. Towards the end of it's life the problems were more pronounced, as trying to run 2.3.5 builds on the Droid were just too taxing on the native memory and processor. I'd frequently get locks and freezes at random times, especially if I hadn't rebooted in a while or if I had several things running.

I plan do to much the same with my Bionic as it ages, running custom ROM's and probably overclocking as the Dev's get that figured out. I'm not afraid of bricking my phone on a buggy release, because I know usually a battery pull will at least let me restore to a back up.

The RAZR? I don't expect that slight bump in clock speed is going to make a lick of difference on performance, especially once overclocking becomes a reality. Both phones are going to get ICS builds, and I'm sure there will be plenty of Developer support as well. No ability to pull the battery though? That right there turns me off. Regardless of the replacement issue as the batteries age it means I wouldn't risk the sort of mucking around I did on my Droid. If I had the RAZR I'd leave it straight stock, or maybe upgrade to a custom ROM if I had seen it in the wild for quite a while, and heard no reports of buggy behavior.

Ultimately I think the Bionic will give me a longer lifespan of usability because of the above, despite it being the 'older' phone with slightly lower specs.

denpad2010

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I use to buy almost every phone that come out on market smartphone of course but I think I will stick to bionic for a while this time

Enviado desde mi DROID BIONIC usando Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds