News We need to stop letting companies double-dip with high upfront costs and required subscriptions

JudasD

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
never buy anything that also requires a subscription. It's simply foolish, you have a dead product once you stop paying. a big nope!
too many folks are willing to drop money on subscriptions today and companies are greedy. this trend really needs to end.
Upon deeper reflection this trend has saved me money. Almost everything has a sub these days, which causes my interest to wane. Maybe it's actually a good trend for folks that aren't loose with their monies?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
never buy anything that also requires a subscription. It's simply foolish, you have a dead product once you stop paying. a big nope!
too many folks are willing to drop money on subscriptions today and companies are greedy. this trend really needs to end.
Upon deeper reflection this trend has saved me money. Almost everything has a sub these days, which causes my interest to wane. Maybe it's actually a good trend for folks that aren't loose with their monies?
Yup.kinda like the game industry. Micro charging themselves to oblivion. Mind you that's not the only reason.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
my boy bought a 2024 Tacoma the other day. all sorts of smart bells and whistles. those bells and whistles are free (for a little while). after that, it's subscription time. lol

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
That may be true for mobile devices and device apps, but not everything. For example, I have a full Ring system... video doorbell, security cameras, door and motion sensors, and all of it professionally monitored. I gladly pay an annual subscription for the professional monitoring and the peace of mind it provides. The hardware still works without the monitoring plan, but without cellular backup and monitoring. Also, my homeowners insurance gives me a discount for the monitored security system, which offsets ~ 45% of the subscription cost.

Reactions: notforhire

taynjack

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I wish it were that easy. I'm definitely moving to a Garmin fitness tracker for my next tracker, because they don't have a subscription. However, I need AutoCad and Sketchup for my work. They are both subscription based. I must buy those. The worst is when you pay a high price for something, and they want a subscription, and there's ads. Those companies are just dripping with greed. I avoid subscriptions as much as I can, unfortunately, some companies products have become essential to functioning in the modern world.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
If I got the ring, it would only be for nfc so I can make mobile payments. I do not need any of the health features. I will not even consider getting a ring if it requires a subscription to use. Why pay a high price for a device, pay a monthly subscription fee just so that samsung can collect your personal health data to sell, trade, or share.

I am getting tired of being "nickel and dime" with subscription fees from the different tech companies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick