What are you looking forward to with this new version of Wear OS-Tizen?

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
One gripe I've had with Tizen is the lack of alternative messaging app support. I prefer Google Messages over Samsung's stock app, so I'm excited to have a native app on the watch to see message inbox and go back later to reply to a message I cleared.

I'm also looking forward to having more watchfaces that display phone battery percentage. I know it's possible with Tizen, but this requires a separate app to be installed on your phone and there aren't many options. I find this function useful when my phone is on the charger and I can see where it's at and go retrieve when it reaches whatever level I need.

I'm also hoping to see Google's voice to text, as it has far better accuracy than Bixby. Honestly, that's the only thing I would use Google Assistant for anyways. I do have a bootleg version of GA on my current OG Galaxy Watch, but it required going through a lot of steps to get it installed and working.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Definitely looking forward to Google Maps support. Hope it has standalone functionality on the LTE watches. The other big hope for me is that the Spotify app will support podcasts. You can get podcasts to play on the current Tizen app, but only via some convoluted and roundabout ways. Searches only return music results, and you can't browse for podcasts. Would be great if they finally fix this!

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I already enjoy the seamless connectivity between Note10+ and Tab S7+ when using buds live. I hope this extends to Watch4 now. Also excited for maps on LTE model.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forwad to using my Diabetes:M app (wear os and iOS) on my Galaxy watch finally and can finally do much more since everbody dragged thier feet porting it to Tizen. The developers claim they sent Samsung the API -- that was 2-3 years ago. If it wasn't such a great app, I woiuld have long abandioned it for no Tizen support. Kept a wear os watch so that I could do data entry on it since it would then sync to my phone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this was a reason for me getting it, my bank doesn't support Samsung Pay so couldn't be bothered for the work around, now Google Pay works great, too convenient lol

Add me to the Google pay crowd.

I hate non-usable features, so having NFC in my watch and it being totally unusable irritates me. Plus when it's an S21 ultra in your pocket, not having to pull it out to pay for a couple of drinks is a legitimate benefit.

Besides that, apps in general. I looked through the store years ago on my galaxy watch, but I've never even looked on my watch 3. 300 golf apps and pretty much nothing else lol.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I was looking for more compatibility for Samsung Health features (ECG, VO2) with non-Samsung phones, but sadly not happening. Without that the GW4, to me, offers nothing over my GW3. Google pay is nice but not worth getting a new watch for just that.

Besides that, apps in general. I looked through the store years ago on my galaxy watch, but I've never even looked on my watch 3. 300 golf apps and pretty much nothing else lol.

Now if there was a good economical golf gps app in the WearOS store, that might change my mind. Galaxy store used to have a couple but they changed them to expensive subscription apps and the app updates were buggy.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Haven't used Google Pay even though I've set it up. Mostly used Samsung Pay from my phone, never used it from my watch that I recall.

I used Google Pay way back on my HTC phone and than it was always Samsung pay. I got the S21 Ultra and finally set up Samsung Pay a while back and only tried it once and maybe I did something wrong it didn't work. I think someone said it turns on your NFC when you go to use it. But if Goggle pay is easier and works better I will switch just to try it on my watch. I've never used my watch to pay before.

Last edited:

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Curious what the Google Pay crowd thinks about Samsung Pay. I use Samsung Pay - mostly on my GW3 - rather profusely and it seems to work well for me. Any advantages to Google Pay?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used Google Pay way back and than it was always Samsung pay. I got the S21 Ultra and finally set it up a while back and only tried it once and maybe I did something wrong it didn't work. I think someone said it turns on your NFC when you go to use it. But if Goggle pay is easier and works better I will switch just to try it on my watch. I've never used my watch to pay before.

You have to have NFC turned on to use Google pay, it can't turn it on automatically, because how would it know you want to use it?

Curious what the Google Pay crowd thinks about Samsung Pay. I use Samsung Pay - mostly on my GW3 - rather profusely and it seems to work well for me. Any advantages to Google Pay?

Spent a couple of years wishing it would die... Once I've got the watch 4 I'll never have to think about it again.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Why do I have two different Google Pay apps on my phone? G Pay & Google Pay?

What is the difference between these two?

I always use Samsung pay and have never used Google Pay.

doxidad

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the 2 also - one is the original and the 2nd is the NEW version. If you open the original is will ask if you want to use the new version. I prefer the old version myself since it is a bit clearer on how to find things. I would imagine the old version will eventually go away or just automatically point to the new version

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the 2 also - one is the original and the 2nd is the NEW version. If you open the original is will ask if you want to use the new version. I prefer the old version myself since it is a bit clearer on how to find things. I would imagine the old version will eventually go away or just automatically point to the new version

So it will be easier using Google pay on the watch than Samsung pay? I guess I should set up Google Pay. I like how Samsung Pay gives you money back in your wallet on certain things if you pay with it. I think my husband uses Google Pay. I'll set it up on my phone today and try it.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Mainly, all the Google Play apps. Not sure what I'll use yet, but I found Tizen to limiting. I don't anticipate I'll use too much, but the access will be nice. Maps could prove useful as I may be able to leave the phone in the car during hikes/walls and still have some maps usage and be able to make calls (LTE) if I have reception. Even better if I can access Uber as well. The health monitoring is a plus. Blood pressure would be great if it works. Hopefully the EKG will work better than with the GW3. My cardiologist would love these.

My first watch was a Gear S2. My dad had it now. Upgraded to the Gear S3 Frontier and a Gear S3 Classic. Traded the Classic on a GW3 as they have a hell of a discount and trade on the S3 Classic (battery was degraded quite a bit). They've come a long way in terms of features and the switch to Wear OS made me switch. Figures Samsung announces it a month after I get the GW3. Ha.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
So it will be easier using Google pay on the watch than Samsung pay? I guess I should set up Google Pay. I like how Samsung Pay gives you money back in your wallet on certain things if you pay with it. I think my husband uses Google Pay. I'll set it up on my phone today and try it.

Google pay gives back as well on certain items...

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

Haven't used on watch but on phone I switched to Gpay (new version) because about 75% of the time samsung pay did not work when I wanted it to....

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
You have to have NFC turned on to use Google pay, it can't turn it on automatically, because how would it know you want to use it?

No Samsung pay I was talking about cuz now that it changed on the S21 Ultra someone I thought said your don't need to keep NFC on since there's no more MST that Samsung pay turned on NFC when you went to pay but I don't know maybe I'm wrong. So to use Samsung pay do I need to turn on NFC I know with MST you didn't? I know you do for Google Pay. My husband uses Google Pay but doesn't keep NFC on. He turns it on when he's gonna use Google Pay

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Haven't used on watch but on phone I switched to Gpay (new version) because about 75% of the time samsung pay did not work when I wanted it to....

Well I'm going to set up Google pay tomorrow. I wanna to try it and start paying from my watch. Me and my husband both looked we have one app and it's called Google pay but the icon says Gpay. I open mine up and it said something about do you want to upgrade to the new version. But I didn't do anything further yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa