What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

For the app in question, do you have an "Uninstall Updates" button? If so, tap it and uninstall the latest update. After it restores the original version of the app, you should have the Disable button back again.

This works!

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I guess I am an idiot. Do I have to register and login before I can delete or disable these programs? I cant find any options to disable, delete or anything, but I have not logged in any since I dont want to use them.

Thanks.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I guess I am an idiot. Do I have to register and login before I can delete or disable these programs? I cant find any options to disable, delete or anything, but I have not logged in any since I dont want to use them.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Register and log in to what? The apps? No, you don't have to log into the apps. But you can only disable the apps that came with the phone (system apps). Anything that you installed you can just uninstall.

To disable an app that came with the phone, perform these steps:

1. Pull down the notification bar and locate the little gear/sprocket icon in the top right corner. Tap it. The settings will open.
  2. Scroll down until you see Application Manager. Tap it. The application settings will open. Notice that at the top of the screen, there are three tabs: Downloaded, Running, and All. Tap All to view all the apps on the phone.
  3. Scroll down until you find a system app that you want to disable (like S-Voice, S-Memo, AT&T Navigator, etc.). Tap the name of the app and a settings window for that app will open.
  4. At the top of the settings page, you will see the name of the app and its icon. Immediately under that will be two buttons: Force Stop and Disable. If the app has been updated at all, the second button will instead be Uninstall Updates. If it says Disable, tap it to disable it. If the button is labeled Uninstall Updates, then tap it and uninstall the updates. After the app reverts, that second button should now be labeled Disable. Tap it to disable the app.

For apps that you have installed, you can use this same method to uninstall them. Open the settings for the specific app and tap the Uninstall button.

Hope that clears things up.

Oh, and a word of warning: if you don't know what something is...DON'T disable or uninstall it.

Alfonsca

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

you can disable from the app draw too. Drag to 'app info' next to trash can and disable. :) going to disable some as suggested above!

Reactions: zeteo and KreepyKen

robh2

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Yes I was talking about logging into the apps. Got it everyone. Thanks.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Register and log in to what? The apps? No, you don't have to log into the apps. But you can only disable the apps that came with the phone (system apps). Anything that you installed you can just uninstall.

1. Pull down the notification bar and locate the little gear/sprocket icon in the top right corner. Tap it. The settings will open.
  2. Scroll down until you see Application Manager. Tap it. The application settings will open. Notice that at the top of the screen, there are three tabs: Downloaded, Running, and All. Tap All to view all the apps on the phone.
  3. Scroll down until you find a system app that you want to disable (like S-Voice, S-Memo, AT&T Navigator, etc.). Tap the name of the app and a settings window for that app will open.
  4. At the top of the settings page, you will see the name of the app and its icon. Immediately under that will be two buttons: Force Stop and Disable. If the app has been updated at all, the second button will instead be Uninstall Updates. If it says Disable, tap it to disable it. If the button is labeled Uninstall Updates, then tap it and uninstall the updates. After the app reverts, that second button should now be labeled Disable. Tap it to disable the app.

For apps that you have installed, you can use this same method to uninstall them. Open the settings for the specific app and tap the Uninstall button.

Oh, and a word of warning: if you don't know what something is...DON'T disable or uninstall it.
thanks for that detailed post!

21plays

May 16, 2012
Visit site

here is a doc with apps safe to remove/freeze(disable) and some description. Most of them require you to be rooted and using titanium backup. There are a few that dont require root and can be disabled via application manager. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqTvctlW89DtdC1qVUlLeVFTV3ZOdUtDclpBdVRQOUE&pli=1#gid=0 AND xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][XXBLG1][20Jul] Omega v9.1 ●►Omega Files Kitchen◄●Custom Install●►4 Themes◄●

Last edited:
Reactions: aaCharley

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I reloaded my device yesterday, and before a whole bunch of updates and the likes, I disabled lots of apps ;)

endersdestiny

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if by disabling S Voice, do you gain back the normal Google voice actions capabilities?

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

thanks, just went thru and disabled a bunch of apps on my new sg3

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

thanks guys- great thread. is there a way to disable 'internet' browser - i use chrome. also what about s memo, the voicemail app on sprint and sprint connection manager? thanks!

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to the OP for this thread. Very Interesting.

Okay, I just disabled all these apps. . .

AllShare Play
AT&T Navigator
ChatON
DeviceHelp
Flipboard
Kies air
Media Hub
S Suggest
S Voice
Samsung Backup Provider
Samsung Cloud Data Relay
Samsung Cloud Syncadapter
SNS (facebook?)
YPmobile

. . .and if I'm not mistaken, it seems like there's a slight delay when I now click on anything in 'Settings'. There's no delay going to Settings. But once there, no matter what I tap in the Settings menus.....the touch/highlight seems to flash for a half-a-second or so. Or, am I just imagining it, and it was already like that? I don't know! :confused:

[Edit] . . .
Oppps! . . .just noticed that the 'World Clock', in the stock clock app, has a frozen globe view when initially opened-up; the globe won't spin; then upon backing-out to 'Add City' and then going back to the (spinning globe view)sic...it's just black, with no globe at all. After backing-out and coming back again...the globe appears but is flashing wildy. lol

Any ideas which app may be suspect? Guess I'll just re-enable them one at a time, to see which one lets the globe stop acting up.

[Update] . . .
It doesn't seem to be any of these, as I re-enabled them, to no avail, (unless I should have rebooted?): :-\
AllShare Play
AT&T Navigator
Samsung Backup Provider
Samsung Cloud Data Relay
Samsung Cloud Syncadapter

Last edited:

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You can either Flash Rom to remove the bloatware apps or install a launcher such as Apex and hide the apps in the drawer. Your choice. I did the latter one. I don't like messing with my device.

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I was curious about the "bloatware". When I look at my Battery usage, none of these bloatware Apps are showing up as draining the battery. In that case, is going through the hassle of uninstalling them, then "disabling" them, pointless? My concern is to just minimize battery usage, but my "Battery" section shows that none of them are bleeding any of it.... of course, unless that Battery-usage data is not usually too accurate? Thanks.

starleaf1

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Hmm... I can't seem to disable AllShare.
The button is greyed out.
I haven't updated it or anything. Maybe because it is curently not running in the first place?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm running stock, and i've disabled nothing. I accept all updates, even the apps that i don't use. I believe that if the app isn't opened, it's using little or no juice. Now, with medium use, my battery is at 35%-40% by the end of the day. That works for me.:)
P.S. I've added Earth Rot Live Wallpaper to my home screen, with no visible loss in battery drain.

gingersnapgirl

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

For some apps, S Memo for example, there is a "Disable" button, but it is not active.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was curious about the "bloatware". When I look at my Battery usage, none of these bloatware Apps are showing up as draining the battery. In that case, is going through the hassle of uninstalling them, then "disabling" them, pointless? My concern is to just minimize battery usage, but my "Battery" section shows that none of them are bleeding any of it.... of course, unless that Battery-usage data is not usually too accurate? Thanks.
I've had these (32) apps disabled (not uninstalled, just disabled) for well over a month now, with no issues:

AllShare Controller
AllShare Play
AT&T Messages
AT&T Navigator
Bubbles
ChatON
Clock (funky)
Clock (modern)
Dual Clock (analog)
Dual Clock (digital)
Face Unlock
Flipboard
Google Play Books
Google Play Movies
Google Play Music
Googe Search
Luminous dots
Media Hub
My AT&T
Phase beam
Samsung account
Samsung Backup Provider
Samsung Cloud Data Relay
Samsung Syncadapters
SNS
Street View
Talk
TalkBack
Trim
Yahoo Finance
Yahoo News
YPMobile

. . .didn't record spec's before & after, but my battery performance seems to have definitely improved. Although I'm not sure if disabling any of these apps had anything to do with it. Nevertheless, however the higher battery performance was brought about, it's now running sweeter than ever! :cool:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz