What carrier are you using with your Nexus 4? (US)

What carrier are you using with your Nexus 4?

• Total voters

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Suprised how many prepaid users there are! But I guess that makes sense for unlocked device users, especially if you are replacing other nexus devices. I'm in Canada and there are hardly any decent plans for prepaid (that I've seen).

1f1fan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Left Sprint back in November when I got my Nexus 4, decided to give the T-Mobile $30 plan with 5GB high speed data a shot and couldn't be happier. T-Mobile works well in Central, VA and MD. I was averaging just over 100 voice minutes with Sprint over the last 12 months before I left, so voice usage wasn't a big concern for me.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Left Sprint back in November when I got my Nexus 4, decided to give the T-Mobile $30 plan with 5GB high speed data a shot and couldn't be happier. T-Mobile works well in Central, VA and MD. I was averaging just over 100 voice minutes with Sprint over the last 12 months before I left, so voice usage wasn't a big concern for me.

I was on a Sprint SERO plan for years: $50 for 500 daytime minutes, unlimited N&W, unlimited Web, unlimited nav and unlimited text. I didn't think I could find a better deal. So I was surprised when I saw the TMO $30 plan. It was ideal because like you, I use my phone primarily for data. No regrets since making the switch.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Are your trying directly to sign on to TMobile for their prepaid. I'm signed on to the TMobile network via Solavei. I read in some other thread though that the network coverage via Solavei is not as good in some areas com paired to direct TMobile. P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

That is true.

Solavei roaming agreement is not accurate. For example tmobile proper works with at&t roaming when I'm snowboarding but Solavei did not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a landline so minutes has been a concern for me only insofar as I have friends I talk to occasionally at length. However, VoIP has been decent enough via Talkatone to essentially eliminate this as a concern.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
That is true.

Solavei roaming agreement is not accurate. For example tmobile proper works with at&t roaming when I'm snowboarding but Solavei did not.

Are you talking about T-Mobile prepaid or postpaid? Postpaid has different roaming agreements/footprint than prepaid. Postpaid has more roaming coverage.

Solavei allows 2g data roaming in places T-Mobile prepaid only has voice. My limited experience in Colorado has shown the roaming coverage map to be accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about T-Mobile prepaid or postpaid? Postpaid has different roaming agreements/footprint than prepaid. Postpaid has more roaming coverage.

Solavei allows 2g data roaming in places T-Mobile prepaid only has voice. My limited experience in Colorado has shown the roaming coverage map to be accurate.

Prepaid.

Solavei didn't work at all the mountains but pre paid worked just fine using at&t network. The data didn't work at all.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Straight Talk with AT&T.

I'd love to do the T-Mobile $30 plan for 100 minutes / 5GB. It would be perfect for me.
Alas, I tried T-Mobile the first month I had my N4 and, while the speed was great, the coverage just didn't cut it for me. So that left me with AT&T. Straight Talk seems to offer the best AT&T bang (data) for the buck.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Prepaid.

Solavei didn't work at all the mountains but pre paid worked just fine using at&t network. The data didn't work at all.

Strange.

That hasn't been my experience in the Colorado mountains.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Does TMO prepaid allow roaming? Not that I can tell.
They have what they call "domestic roaming." It's places they have agreements in place and they are marked on the coverage map as striped "service partner" areas. T-Mobile does voice roaming only in these areas - Solavei does 2g data roaming.

As an example, put Kremmling CO in the coverage check. It's service partner area and what they consider roaming. On Solavei I had 2g data there. If I'm reading the T-Mobile prepaid map right I would have voice only there with them.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Straight Talk with AT&T.

I'd love to do the T-Mobile $30 plan for 100 minutes / 5GB. It would be perfect for me.
Alas, I tried T-Mobile the first month I had my N4 and, while the speed was great, the coverage just didn't cut it for me. So that left me with AT&T. Straight Talk seems to offer the best AT&T bang (data) for the buck.

If you don't live in a major city or close by tmobile is useless.

On the contrary if you live in nyc (or similar) at&t is less than useless.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
My reception is excellent at my house, in my car, and at my college. In fact, it's been better generally in ever place that I go to. And the emphasis there is on purpose.

I've got a friend who lives in a particular area of Fort Myers where there is absolutely ZERO reception near or in his neighborhood, and none at his work. Therefore, T-Mobile is worthless to him, however cheaper it might be. In fact, Sprint is almost useless and Verizon is only somewhat better. So, the only carrier he can successfully use (at least in his home) is AT&T.

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Last month I was on the T-Mobile unlimited everything for $70. I had great speeds outside and I used 8gb's of data with no speed issues. My problem was I wasn't getting building penetration at home or work. I ended up buying a ST AT&T sim from Walmart.com (just in time, out of stock). Had to cut it down to micro-sim size. Anyway, getting great speeds indoors. I'm not to worried about the data throttling since I now have Wi-Fi at home. I'll use all my data at work to download apps and ROM's
uploadfromtaptalk1362850024985.jpg

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Last month I was on the T-Mobile unlimited everything for $70. I had great speeds outside and I used 8gb's of data with no speed issues. My problem was I wasn't getting building penetration at home or work. I ended up buying a ST AT&T sim from Walmart.com (just in time, out of stock). Had to cut it down to micro-sim size. Anyway, getting great speeds indoors. I'm not to worried about the data throttling since I now have Wi-Fi at home. I'll use all my data at work to download apps and ROM's
View attachment 62902

Even after the tmobile upgrade I still loose service in a basement or building. My guess is the thick wall old construction with rebars kills the signal. I can deal with that for the price I am paying.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Tmo value better for family - especially if you are addicted to getting your own phone. (I don't care about speed - have bought unlocked from Amazon)
I have one voice only user, and one phone on hold for daughter who is out of country. I'm the only data user. We all have text included.

dunni88

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Giving iWireless (regional T-Mo affiliate) a try for the first month. Coverage at home and work isn't as great as I had hoped, so planning to switch to ST AT&T next month.

This is exactly my plan, so please let me know how it went for you. I'm in Cedar falls and travel to chicago and minneapolis. I Wireless looks great in IA vs AT&T on ST, but AT&T might be better elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny