What did you guys think about the HTC One (M8) compared to the Nexus 5?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The speakers and that brushed aluminum housing certainly caught my eye. But for now, the Nexus 5 is still the best $400 you can spend on a phone off contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm jonsing for the new M8 but at the same time if it doesn't feel just right in the hand I know I'd switch right back to a Nexus 5. Plus I'd have to shell out $699 for the GPE One which is a bit much.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I hope the HTC does well, but for me it is not worth moving from the N5. HTC is building incredible phones these days!!! So if you want a different user interface and a great device go for the HTC.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to hate on the M8. It is a really awesome looking device and I'm certain the "Boom Sound" is excellent. I think that HTC has really done well with this device. They probably need to rethink their camera, however. It seems that the 4 "Ultrapixels" isn't getting favorable reviews. To be honest, I think that if they had come with a, let's say, 16 MP camera like Samsung, the perception would have been that they destroyed the competition thus far. But it left room for other manufacturers to claim their device is better. Me personally, I'm not going to buy it because compared to my Nexus 5, it doesn't bring anything new (when considering how I use my phone). The camera is poorer, the phone is heavier, I prefer stock Android (although, I don't think that a skin is particularly bad), it has bloatware, updates would come slower, no Google Wallet tap to pay, and the phone costs almost twice as much. Doesn't seem to be a smart choice to buy the M8 at this time. Especially considering that there could be a new Nexus released later this year at a far better price point and most like will be better on specs and carry the latest version of Android.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to hate on the M8. It is a really awesome looking device and I'm certain the "Boom Sound" is excellent. I think that HTC has really done well with this device.

Yep... the M8 is a nice phone, but I don't see much that would cause me to want to get rid of my 5. I saw a chart listing their internals side by side and you wouldn't think that the phones were released 6 months apart. If the Nexus 5 wasn't an option (like if I was on Verizon), I'd consider it, but to be honest, I might just wait for the S5.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
M8 looks great, but no reason to ditch my great 5 month old nexus 5. Major thing I'm "jealous" of is the boomsound.

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?

Ill connect my N5 to a real sound system if i really needed to listen to music loud and in better quality.

Would you be opposed to the idea of Google adding speakers similar to those on the HTC One into next year's Nexus smartphone?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

How do you swap sims between the X and the N5? Did you cut it down to nano size and use an adapter? Any problems?

I use an adapter. Got a nano from ATT then got an adapter from amazon called Noosy. I also ordered one from Germany which was supposed to be so good, but I use the Noosy and have had no issues.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Dont have anything against M8, but I prefer N5 or even Moto X. Built quality is the only win with M8. I am more interested in GE Z2 if that ever makes it to States

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Would you be opposed to the idea of Google adding speakers similar to those on the HTC One into next year's Nexus smartphone?

Well, the only problem with that is the size. Those speakers make for a monster bezel. One of things I've come to like the most is the 5's relatively compact size. It'd be a shame to lose that feature.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I see a lot of posters are remarking about the speakers, and from what I read, the BoomSound speakers are supposed to be awesome. But I don't have any use for them. I rarely need to listen to my phone's speakers at full volume. I usually have it somewhat quiet when I'm sitting in my office. For all other things like phone calls over the speaker or listening to podcasts or music, the speakers on the Nexus 5 are more than fine for my needs. When I'm at home, I connect my phone to my stereo speakers anyway. Even though its a great hardware feature for the M8, I don't really need them.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I see a lot of posters are remarking about the speakers, and from what I read, the BoomSound speakers are supposed to be awesome. But I don't have any use for them. I rarely need to listen to my phone's speakers at full volume. I usually have it somewhat quiet when I'm sitting in my office. For all other things like phone calls over the speaker or listening to podcasts or music, the speakers on the Nexus 5 are more than fine for my needs. When I'm at home, I connect my phone to my stereo speakers anyway. Even though its a great hardware feature for the M8, I don't really need them.
I totally agree with your statement, Mr. Williams. Inasmuch as I store a few gigs of Music on my Nexus 5, I don't regularly listen to my music. Therefore, switching to the M8 would be a waste of money for me.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
HTC really should be making the next Nexus. They are overdue

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I agree, but would they be able to make a great Nexus phone at the price point it's going to be sold for? I don't think they will be able to. If HTC had to make a plastic phone to meet the cheaper price point for a Nexus would they be able to do a better job than LG or Samsung? I don't know.

Sent from my Nexus 5

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
HTC really should be making the next Nexus. They are overdue

Well, they might be making the next tablet (8.9' as the rumor goes), so you got that.

So it's LG. Which is fine, LG knows their way around the internals of a phone. These are build to Google's spec, so it isn't like if HTC got the contract we'd see a Nexus 'One'-ish kind of phone.... just like the Nexus 5 and the G2, while fraternal twins under the skin, come off as two phones that are entirely different. Looking at the rumors about what LG is packing in the G3, the next Nexus is going to be another beast of a phone..... let's see if they keep the price point in check.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a phone geek and I like having new things to play with.

That said, I probably wouldn't buy the One because it still doesn't have a user replaceable battery. The only reason I bought the Nexus without a user replaceable battery was because it was (relatively) cheap. I like the Nexus, but my usage IS affected.

nb

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

How do you swap sims between the X and the N5? Did you cut it down to nano size and use an adapter? Any problems?

I used a slightly different method than what Planoman did. I used to have a regular-sized SIM card. I bought a SIM card cutter from Amazon, then cut my SIM card to a nano size. The problem with this method is that regular-sized SIM cards are slightly thicker than micro or nano SIM cards, so I had to use some sand paper to gently make my cut-down SIM card thinner. I would wear down the side with the carrier's logo (NOT the side with the metal contacts) with the sand paper. Once the SIM card was thin enough, I could put it in any phone using the appropriate adapter. A Moto X wouldn't need an adapter since it's designed to take a nano SIM, but a Nexus 5 would need a micro SIM adapter to seat the card properly within the phone.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Well, the only problem with that is the size. Those speakers make for a monster bezel.

Perhaps we should look at the M7 for inspiration instead of the M8:

Nexus 5 Dimensions
137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm (5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 in)

HTC One (M7) Dimensions
137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 mm (5.41 x 2.69 x 0.37 in)

HTC One (M8) Dimensions
146.4 x 70.6 x 9.4 mm (5.76 x 2.78 x 0.37 in)

As you can see, the M7 is slightly smaller in length and width than the Nexus 5, even with the front-facing speakers. The M8 is a larger phone, so that's probably not a good model to follow if you're looking for a handset that's relatively compact.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I see a lot of posters are remarking about the speakers, and from what I read, the BoomSound speakers are supposed to be awesome. But I don't have any use for them.

That's fine. That being said, if Google added front speakers to the next Nexus, would that make you unhappy? How about people who actually use the speakers on their phones? Should we take them into consideration?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard