What do you NOT like about your Nexus 5X?

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Lack of Qi Charging.. I've only had it a day and its driving me mad. Wireless Charging is no longer a nicity for me. Its a requirement. Im not sure what im going to do about this yet but its driving me mad.

It's fascinating to me, as a wireless charging engineer who doesn't use wireless charging lol.

Last edited:

koobs1984

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm loving my Nexus 5X ice but the only thing I don't like so far is the volume from the headphone jack is too low when playing music from my car stereo

Posted via Nexus 5X / Nexus 7

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Size - just too big (especially, tall) for my hands.

Battery life.

The USB-C nonsense. Makes the phone that much more expensive because all cables and chargers need to be replaced - and there's no reliable source for the new ones yet.

Too expensive for limited storage and no SD card slot.

I returned mine to Google!

Posted via the Android Central App

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Size - just too big (especially, tall) for my hands.

Battery life.

The USB-C nonsense. Makes the phone that much more expensive because all cables and chargers need to be replaced - and there's no reliable source for the new ones yet.

Too expensive for limited storage and no SD card slot.

I returned mine to Google!

Other than finding out firsthand about battery life, you knew all your other criticisms before the phone launched, no? ... Why did you order one (and I mean this sincerely, not trying to be a jerk) ?

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
It's a reasonable question.

I hadn't gotten my hands on one before ordering, so I didn't realize the slight increase in size would make that much difference.

I didn't try ordering the cables and chargers until after I ordered the phone (turned to Amazon for the accessories - Google was very expensive and/or out of stock). So I hadn't realized how hard they would be to find, or how expensive. As far as I can tell, USB-C gear is just not available yet, at least not from reliable sources for US buyers.

The phone was already at the very top end of what I was willing to pay. By the time it arrived, I knew it was going to be an extra $50 just for a second-rate car charger and a longer cable for home. And given that my Nexus 5 didn't even last 18 months, $500+ (including tax) became too much to pay for something that didn't fit my body and had such limitations (battery life, no SD card).

I liked the pure Android of the Nexus 5. I WANTED the 5x to work for me...

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
It's a reasonable question.

I hadn't gotten my hands on one before ordering, so I didn't realize the slight increase in size would make that much difference.

I didn't try ordering the cables and chargers until after I ordered the phone (turned to Amazon for the accessories - Google was very expensive and/or out of stock). So I hadn't realized how hard they would be to find, or how expensive. As far as I can tell, USB-C gear is just not available yet, at least not from reliable sources for US buyers.

The phone was already at the very top end of what I was willing to pay. By the time it arrived, I knew it was going to be an extra $50 just for a second-rate car charger and a longer cable for home. And given that my Nexus 5 didn't even last 18 months, $500+ (including tax) became too much to pay for something that didn't fit my body and had such limitations (battery life, no SD card).

I liked the pure Android of the Nexus 5. I WANTED the 5x to work for me...

In regards to USB-C I can understand why Google went this way. They are trying to push the rest of the Android phone makers to move this way more quickly. That is typically how Google uses the Nexus devices, use them to nudge the industry towards adding a feature or features. This year it was fingerprint readers and USB-C. Of course the problem is since they are on of the first the cables are in much shorter supply and are more expensive. At the end of the day though whether you do it this year or next year you are going to have to buy new cables as this is where phones are heading. The only difference in making the move in a year the cables will likely be 30-50% cheaper due to greater availability.

For me I just looked at it as a $50 early adopter tax as that is about what it cost me to buy the cables and chargers I needed. I got 3 Type A to C cables for $7 each from Amazon, $20 for a USB-C car charger and I bought an extra Samsung 2A USB charger for $6 which in my experience charges the 5X only about 30 minutes slower than the stock charger from empty. That combined with the 2A USB chargers I already had has met set for a while. I imagine in a year this might have only cost me $25-30 but this wasn't that big of an expense to get one of the best phones on the market.

If it helps this is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4801961
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4801961

Last edited:

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i miss wireless charging and i wish the display was just a bit more vivid coming from my s6 it really looks pale in comparison. other than that i love it i am still torn over the 6p but i prefer the 5x size better

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
My only gripe so far is that dirt is starting to fill in the tiny gaps at the top and bottom of the screen and I have no idea how to get it out. It's tiny particles of dirty but it's there nonetheless. Anyone else noticing this?

^^^^ Compressed air maybe?

So far I'm having no luck with keeping dirt out of the gap above the screen. The canned air gets a bit of it out, but not all of it. Any other suggestions? I don't want to jam a needle in there lol

myfavthing

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes experiencing some heat on the fingerprint sensor area when using the phone. Not sure if this is common or not? But I can live with it. Really enjoy using this device :)

Megan Pritchard1

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm having major issues with multitasking(?) since Day 1 and I've tried three different launchers with no help. Playing google music while trying to do ANYTHING else (facebook, email, browse) causing the music to skip, stop, cut out constantly, etc. Then the other task doesn't load, then the whole phone locks up, goes blank for a good several minutes. Facebook also runs really slow, especially if you click on a link that opens in a browser. I continuously kill tasks and it doesn't seem to help much. I'm not doing anything crazy here and my previous Nexus 6 NEVER had any of these issues.

I really want to return it.

Tommrad

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
No return key in messenger! The emoji keyboard takes place of the return key.
If you cant fit both, I'd rather be able to separate paragraphs than have emojis. Of course a lot of people would disagree but you can't disagree, its absurd to have no return key

Tommrad

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm having major issues with multitasking(?) since Day 1 and I've tried three different launchers with no help. Playing google music while trying to do ANYTHING else (facebook, email, browse) causing the music to skip, stop, cut out constantly, etc. Then the other task doesn't load, then the whole phone locks up, goes blank for a good several minutes. Facebook also runs really slow, especially if you click on a link that opens in a browser. I continuously kill tasks and it doesn't seem to help much. I'm not doing anything crazy here and my previous Nexus 6 NEVER had any of these issues.

I really want to return it.
I havent had this problem at all. I use Google music, GBA emulator and chrome at the same time all the time and haven't had an issue yet

Rogue Tomato

Banned
Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I have the 6p coming this week and I hear the camera app operates quicker on it due to faster processor, etc. We'll see! If not, it might be back to GS6 unless Google releases an update before my 14 days are up.

Posted via my 5x

Generally, if taking pictures gets slower when you take them in succession, it's storage, not the CPU that's slowing it down. The 6P may be faster, though, because it has more RAM to buffer the pics as you take them.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Generally, if taking pictures gets slower when you take them in succession, it's storage, not the CPU that's slowing it down. The 6P may be faster, though, because it has more RAM to buffer the pics as you take them.

Does the 6p have faster storage? or does the 5x use a "slower speed" storage than all other android phones? I'm pretty sure it's the camera app. I've never had a phone take successive pics this slow. The 6p did it as well, just not as bad as the 5x.

LuciferRex

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Samsung Galaxy S5. The Nexus 5x seems to fly for me. I HATE that I can't select which account to save a contact to when I add one, and that the phone can't start at the dialer. These both seemed like pretty obvious things to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemal