What do you want to see from google IO?

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
what separates the iPad3 from the transformer, is not entirely the screen, and processor..

the fact that so many of the itunes apps are optomized for the ipad, and take advantage of what it has to offer, is a huge boon to the iPad3. if android apps were more graphical in nature, and could really push that boundary, and put the spotlight on what you could get from them, they'd be taken more seriously by the average consumer.

apple beat the transformer prime on the "pretty, simple, and more apps" platform. android devs are the bottleneck, not the hardware.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
personally, i'd LOVE to hear more about JB, and what the next wave of android phones are going to be like. i am ever-so curious as to what the specs of a next-gen device will be, and how Jellybean will take advantage of it :)

bheid33

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
2. An Android tablet that has the resolution of the iPad 3. I HATE that Apple is winning the tablet war with a BORING, LOCKED UI, and not a single OEM seems to be able to make a a retina Android screen.

Thats all...:)

Asus Pad Infinity should be a serious competitor...1080p screen and clocked at 1.6 gHz :)

EDIT: ninja'd

DanBa

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
USB audio standardisation!

For the time being, the standard USB devices for USB host-capable Android smartphones/tablets are only USB hubs, USB mass storage devices and USB class for human interface devices (for example, mice and keyboards).

A lot of people are lobbying for imposing USB DAC as a standard Android USB device, like a standard USB device for every Mac or PC (i.e. we don’t have to request each individual PC manufacturer to add the USB audio capability).
Issue 24614 - android - Enable USB audio on the Galaxy Nexus (or any Android 4.0 device) - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Google should include USB host (and USB audio) on every new Google "Nexus" device, which is supposed to be a reference Android device for others.

The 1st out-of-the-box (i.e. without modding) Android devices able to support USB audio are:
Issue 24614 - android - Enable USB audio on the Galaxy Nexus (or any Android 4.0 device) - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
. Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone
. Archos G9 tablet

This would allow a new era of Hi-Fi for the masses:
music stored on smartphone > smartphone player > bit perfect digital audio stream >> USB DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) >> amp >> headphone or speakers

Portable Hi-Fi for the masses anywhere, anytime with affordable rig:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/and...e-issues-priority-with-google/60#post_8446229
. affordable (subsidized) smartphone, like Samsung Galaxy S III
. affordable bit-perfect digital audio USB DAC/amp, like FiiO E7
. affordable high dimensions music headphone, like Digitech Pro Monitor Headphones

Home Hi-Fi for the masses with affordable rig:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1393599/e...y-android-4-0-smartphone-tablet#post_22090778
. affordable (subsidized) smartphone, like Samsung Galaxy S III
. affordable bit-perfect digital audio USB DAC/Tamp, like Topping TP30
http://andrewdubber.com/2011/04/audiophilia-for-the-masses/
. affordable high dimensions music speakers
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20117262-47/affordable-american-hi-fi-does-it-exist/

Last edited:

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Like others I am excited to see the Sub $200 Google Tablets.

Software wise, I would love to see acknowledgement that the Galaxy Nexus will get Jellybean (even the Verizon version).

I would also love to see the Google+ app get an update to support Animated .GIF files. And while they are at it, they could release the Google + api to developers so SocialScope, TweetDeck and others can add Google+ support in their apps.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I want to see two things;
1. Real interactive voice command. Siri is a toy, Vlingo is useful, to a point. S-Voice, the same. Assistant is getting to be... ok. I want to say "Read the most recent post on androidcentral.com" and have it read to me, then the next post...
2. An Android tablet that has the resolution of the iPad 3. I HATE that Apple is winning the tablet war with a BORING, LOCKED UI, and not a single OEM seems to be able to make a a retina Android screen.

Thats all...:)

Pretty sure Samsung makes the new iPads screen...

I also heard Sammy filed patents for flexible screens. Now that would be revolutionary.

EDIT: Saw that's been pointed out regarding Sammy building screens for Apple. My bad. Fail.

Last edited:

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
From what I have/had read about resolution on television sets you cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at a certain size from a certain difference. So at what point does resolution become moot on a 10" screen from roughly 1-2 feet away?

I am assuming pixel density would still be important.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Nexus Tab, Google Assistant, New Ics/JellyBean update, Selling 5 different nexus. Just something cool. Update on the Project Glasses, The self driving car. also google Chrome. im sure the app is still beta or at least thats what i have on my phone. Just an official update and no rumors :D

equishd

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea sub $200 tab is nice but can we get a $200 chrome book? :eek:

not much i can really ask for JB havnt really had the chance to enjoy ICS

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
In my humble opinion, for Google to make a splash at all they need to announce a way to update all phones in an EXTREMELY timely manner.

They can announce Jelly Bean/4.1/whatever but with ICS only on 7% of devices, it would be absolutely ridiculous for them to release a new OS.

Google needs to follow-up on that "Android Update Alliance" BS and really show us that they're committed to giving users the latest software.

I want to repeat this: Only seven percent of Android users are on the latest version.

Fix it. I don't care how, just fix it. Throw some weight around with the carriers and OEMs and fix it. NO ONE will care about Jellybean because essentially no one will be getting it.

THAT is what I want from Google. If Apple is doing anything right, it's their standardized updates process. They know how to do it.

I would have to go with the assessment that older phones don't necessarily benefit from having a newer OS officially supported. I think we Would benefit if Google breaks carrier control of devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Those asking for retina display tablets: Transformer Infiity has it beat...

Errr no it doesn't. The iPad resolution is 2048?1536. I agree, it would be nice if Android tablet manufacturers would release a tablet with higher resolution than the iPad. The Transformer infinity is close, but still...it isn't even out and the iPad 3 has been out for months.

From what I have/had read about resolution on television sets you cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at a certain size from a certain difference. So at what point does resolution become moot on a 10" screen from roughly 1-2 feet away?

I am assuming pixel density would still be important.

Yeah from a distance it is more difficult to distinguish a difference between resolutions. Because tablets/phones are used up close, rather than from several feet away like a TV, the resolution is more important.

My hopes/expectations are the Nexus tablet, info on the future of the Nexus program (possibly confirm the rumors of several devices being released in the fall), and Jellybean showcase with release following in the weeks afterwards.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I would have to go with the assessment that older phones don't necessarily benefit from having a newer OS officially supported. I think we Would benefit if Google breaks carrier control of devices

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But ICS was touted as the android version that would be much more widely supported. There are many high end android phones that could have been updated, that's if ICS truly does support more hardware as google said.

Reactions: vivek615

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
But ICS was touted as the android version that would be much more widely supported. There are many high end android phones that could have been updated, that's if ICS truly does support more hardware as google said.

That may be very true, but even if it's "supported" does that mean it will be able to perform as well as gingerbread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dijablue