what is condsidered normal battery life?

taskellusaf

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So, ive seen where people are able to go into the next day... getting 24 hours plus with their phones.... They never said how they were doing this... but if i had to guess they weren't using it at all.

Now i'm not sure but i'm not getting what i had expected either... but i'm not positive.... so I want to ask a question... For normal use, phone calls, texting, internet browsing, bluetooth on, facebooking, etc.. what are people who USE their phones getting......

I've yet to hit over 15 hours.... I have my brightness pretty much set to to 20 or below unless in direct sunlight... btw 0 percent is plenty bright...

so here's my breakdown... tell me if this is normal, good, or below par.

unpluged at around 930 am... its now just past 10 pm... says 11h 15 min i'm at 20 percent...

voice calls 23 percent 40m41s

silent dispatch... a program for work that i think has a problem...btw work requires this or id get rid of it
21 percent cpu 54m cpu foreground 8m keep awake 55m gps 18m
now what i think the problem is i have task manager selected to kill the app after 2 minutes... but the app also says it needs to have gps on... sometimes i don't have it on but the app must be still going because it says attention required... (wanting the gps turned on ) anyways...

display 21 percent 3h 15m

andriod os 13 percent 40m

xscope pro ( internet) 11 percent cpu tot 33m cpu for 24m

cell standby 3 per 11h 15m time without sig 0

phone idle 3 percent time on 8h 1m

facebook... 2 per cpu total 3m foreground 2m gps 39s

I'm not chewing up the battery by playing games... i do have data enabled and background data on,
don't have any social networks set up.. rather use the apps... email set to fetch every 4 hours... didn't really talk much today, didn't text that much...

one thing i am guity of is turning the screen on and off to check the internet, then 2 minutes later make a phone call... 4 minutes later check twitter,.. 5 minutes later make a move on words with friends, 4 minutes later... well you get the idea.... throughout the day i maybe turned the screen on maybe 30-45 times...

i also have the smart actions going on. battery saver, when the screen turns off so does the gps and its supposed to turn off that other silent dispatch program after 2 minutes...

so is my experience normal?? did i get a bum unit...

i mean how the hell are people claiming to play a game for 2 hours and only drop 10 percent.... or for that matter stream music all day and most of the second??

oh yeah... 3g only in my area.. and i drained the battery all the way down last night.

any advice thanks?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't have my Maxx yet, so I can't compare to my personal usage, but here's my humble opinion:

- I'd classify you as an upper-moderate/lower-heavy user.
- You have a decent amount of voice calls, so that will drain your battery pretty fast.
- Just quickly looked up that Silent Dispatch app, and it seems to heavily rely on the radios (GPS especially), based on what it does. So, lots of radio 'pinging' = drain of battery. Also looks to integrate mapping/navigation of some type too, so that also hurts if its a CONSTANT GPS use.

Now, you say you're in a 3G area. A couple questions. Do you have your LTE radio shut off? If not, it will search for 4G still, draining the battery even more. Also, what type of 3G signal are we talking about? Do you typically have full bars, or is the signal spotty at times/most of the time?

As for others reporting long battery life, I assume most are on a wifi for a good chunk of the day and have the other radios off while they are. That's the best way to save battery life. From what I gather, I'd say the average life to get out of a battery (charge-to-charge) is about 20-24 hours. So, at 15, you are on the low end, but as I said, your usage might justify the battery life you're getting.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
people posting the amazing battery life you referred to are hardly using their phones besides the task they listed. have to be.

i think the maxx is supposed to only get 21hours of battery with "moderate" use.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Battery mileage is relative to the user. You can get an idea from reading the posts about battery life, but YMMV is very appropriate. Don't sweat it, it's the best oem battery in a phone ever. As this statement is relative then YMMV. I use my maxx about the same everyday and I'm awake for about 17 hours out of 24. I plug in with 20 to 30 % left. I'm a happy camper.

taskellusaf

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
on the flip side of what ppl are saying... some claim that they use their phones heavy and still get crazy hours out of it.... I've drained the battery till it died and today was my first day of using it... Honestly didn't see any difference.... Might even been worse by a little bit..

I did some reading and since i don't live in a 4g area i switched it to off... don't know if that will help or not...
as far as my 3g signal... well... i upgraded from a droid x and i work at a airport... that phone was constantly searching for 3g... i just thought that because of airport it was normal.. but my maxx seems to not have that problem in the same location....

i'd say that my 3g is stronger.... sure as hell is faster... but that could be processor... but i'm impressed on that fact alone.

I'm going to try to do some streaming of audio from Pandora when i get a chance... and see how long takes...

For right now i'm just not sure what i am to expect. i got about 12 hours out of it today.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
on the flip side of what ppl are saying... some claim that they use their phones heavy and still get crazy hours out of it.... .

In case you have not noticed before, some people lie......They want you wondering why you are not getting the same battery life they are, and they are using it so much heavier than you are. It is because they are liars.

I can get two working days out of my battery (which would be about 36-38 hours), but I am not what you call a heavy user.

My phone is almost always on wifi connection, either at work, or at home, so I rarely use the 3G / 4G radio.

I use my phone for phone calls during the day (about 1-2 hours per day). Other than that, my phone is sitting next to me, and will check my corporate email, and Gmail very regularly.

I do not have any social media apps (like facebook or twitter) because I do not use them.

I have two weather apps installed that update every hour.

Screen brightness set to 0%

When I get home, my phone is on wifi. I usually surf the internet for about 2 hours at night while wife is preparing dinner, or we are just sitting around, or we are watching tv. Then go to bed.

I do use Juice Defender. For comparison, I upgraded from the Droid X, and with the regular 1500 battery that came with the phone, I was able to get 12-15 hours on one charge with the same exact usage.

Last edited:

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So, ive seen where people are able to go into the next day... getting 24 hours plus with their phones.... They never said how they were doing this... but if i had to guess they weren't using it at all.

Now i'm not sure but i'm not getting what i had expected either... but i'm not positive.... so I want to ask a question... For normal use, phone calls, texting, internet browsing, bluetooth on, facebooking, etc.. what are people who USE their phones getting......

I've yet to hit over 15 hours.... I have my brightness pretty much set to to 20 or below unless in direct sunlight... btw 0 percent is plenty bright...

so here's my breakdown... tell me if this is normal, good, or below par.

unpluged at around 930 am... its now just past 10 pm... says 11h 15 min i'm at 20 percent...

voice calls 23 percent 40m41s

silent dispatch... a program for work that i think has a problem...btw work requires this or id get rid of it
21 percent cpu 54m cpu foreground 8m keep awake 55m gps 18m
now what i think the problem is i have task manager selected to kill the app after 2 minutes... but the app also says it needs to have gps on... sometimes i don't have it on but the app must be still going because it says attention required... (wanting the gps turned on ) anyways...

display 21 percent 3h 15m

andriod os 13 percent 40m

xscope pro ( internet) 11 percent cpu tot 33m cpu for 24m

cell standby 3 per 11h 15m time without sig 0

phone idle 3 percent time on 8h 1m

facebook... 2 per cpu total 3m foreground 2m gps 39s

I'm not chewing up the battery by playing games... i do have data enabled and background data on,
don't have any social networks set up.. rather use the apps... email set to fetch every 4 hours... didn't really talk much today, didn't text that much...

one thing i am guity of is turning the screen on and off to check the internet, then 2 minutes later make a phone call... 4 minutes later check twitter,.. 5 minutes later make a move on words with friends, 4 minutes later... well you get the idea.... throughout the day i maybe turned the screen on maybe 30-45 times...

i also have the smart actions going on. battery saver, when the screen turns off so does the gps and its supposed to turn off that other silent dispatch program after 2 minutes...

so is my experience normal?? did i get a bum unit...

i mean how the hell are people claiming to play a game for 2 hours and only drop 10 percent.... or for that matter stream music all day and most of the second??

oh yeah... 3g only in my area.. and i drained the battery all the way down last night.

any advice thanks?

Your phone is fighting with itself, based on the APP your work requires to you have. GPS is a HUGE draw on the battery.

And, whenever you turn the screen on, it also is a battery drain, so if you are turning your screen on every 2-3 minutes to check it, your battery takes a hit each and every time.

How does the 15 hours compare to the phone you had prior to this (and which phone)?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I get one day of use. I unplug around nine am and by nine pm I need to charge. I'm constantly on the phone browsing the web and playing games. My girlfriend is always on wifi do to having only the four GB plan and she doesn't play games or use the phone as much as I do. She gets one to two days worth of battery life.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I took mine off the charger around 9am yesterday. When I got home at 11pm, it had 15% left. That was a normal day. Not a heavy use day, so I'm not getting crazy life out of mine. On a heavy use day, I'd need to plug it in at some point, or I won't make it home.

asylvia

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Battery mileage is relative to the user. You can get an idea from reading the posts about battery life, but YMMV is very appropriate. Don't sweat it, it's the best oem battery in a phone ever. As this statement is relative then YMMV. I use my maxx about the same everyday and I'm awake for about 17 hours out of 24. I plug in with 20 to 30 % left. I'm a happy camper.

This,

i like to leave everything on, i'm connected to wifi at both work and home, but obviously on my commute i'm not, but don't feel like turning it off. same goes for gps and 4g and bluetooth and autosync etc.. so, leaving these things on, and display brightness on auto mode, by the time i go to bed i'm around 20-30% depending on how many calls i make, or if i play angry bird for a while or what have you.

phone is usually off the charge from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM approximately.

highest usage numbers are usually from display, wifi, and android OS

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just saying "I didn't have a heavy use day, so I'm getting X time," or "I play games and surf the web all day, so my battery died after X hours," doesn't help the OP figure his/her situation out. If someone asks you what time it is, you can't answer, "Well, I ate breakfast 5 hours ago, so it's probably around lunch time," and expect them to be truly helped with that answer.

If you want to provide a helpful answer, say how long you're getting and give more specific usage statistics (just go into your battery monitor and look). Using a general identifier like 'all day' doesn't help, as its highly doubtful you spent a full 12 hours just playing games and surfing the web on your phone. The same goes for saying heavy/moderate/light use without examples, as your definition with these terms is all relative to your personal use/viewpoint.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I used my phone heavy a couple of days ago. I played a game called galaxy defender a lot that day.
Some texts I got 14 to 15 hrs......
I can get 20 hrs with moderate use.
The main thing for me with this phone is this. If I know I'm going to be out all day.
Make sure its charged and it can last me the full time whilst I'm out
If I'm say stuck wating for a good 8, maybe 9hrs. I know I will use it heavily
and it will get me through the day.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user and sometimes barely use the phone at all in a 24 hour period. Even with hitting the internet via WiFi at home and playing some games with a few phone calls or texts and periodic phone access during the day, I still have 50-60% after around 16 hours. I do several things however. My office building sucks for reception so I shut down 4G and stick with 3G during the work day. I have a Smart Action set up that, when the screen is off, the phone is locked and it's not on the charger, turns off GPS, Data and Background Sync. I'm good with those processes only coming alive when the phone is actually beng used. I need to get into Smart actions more. There seems to be real gold to pan in there but you have to play around and find it. My biggest reason for getting the Maxx is to avoid its battery going dry and not be able to use the device for it primary purpose, a telephone, in case there's a family and/or medical emergency or situation. Unfortunately, I know a bit too much about this and the phone can become your critical life line so having enough juice left for that purpose is very important to me. As for the various claims about up to 36 hours of battery, just call me cynical. Maybe if the phone is sitting idly most of the time but as an actively used LTE device? I just find that difficult to accept at face value.

Ryan32973

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I have hit 32 hours with "decent" usage... I am not going to get into what/how much but, know this - I actually have used my phone throughout 32-35 hours and it got down to 4% battery left...

So far it is OK, I just am curious why I have night time drainage of 25% or more over a 6-8 hour of smart action night time idle....

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user and sometimes barely use the phone at all in a 24 hour period. Even with hitting the internet via WiFi at home and playing some games with a few phone calls or texts and periodic phone access during the day, I still have 50-60% after around 16 hours. I do several things however. My office building sucks for reception so I shut down 4G and stick with 3G during the work day. I have a Smart Action set up that, when the screen is off, the phone is locked and it's not on the charger, turns off GPS, Data and Background Sync. I'm good with those processes only coming alive when the phone is actually beng used. I need to get into Smart actions more. There seems to be real gold to pan in there but you have to play around and find it. My biggest reason for getting the Maxx is to avoid its battery going dry and not be able to use the device for it primary purpose, a telephone, in case there's a family and/or medical emergency or situation. Unfortunately, I know a bit too much about this and the phone can become your critical life line so having enough juice left for that purpose is very important to me. As for the various claims about up to 36 hours of battery, just call me cynical. Maybe if the phone is sitting idly most of the time but as an actively used LTE device? I just find that difficult to accept at face value.

Today I barely used my phone. A game or two, some light texting a call. Data and background data off an I am still at 90%. I am kinda in the same thought pattern as u are. If in an emergency situation that big battery and call reliability will come in handy

Ryan32973

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Today I barely used my phone. A game or two, some light texting a call. Data and background data off an I am still at 90%. I am kinda in the same thought pattern as u are. If in an emergency situation that big battery and call reliability will come in handy

Data and background data off? Can you get calls still?

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Data and background data off? Can you get calls still?

Absolutely and SMS text messages as well. MMS messages with attachments will not come through but the key is that with data and background sync turned off the phone will continue to function as a primary communication device.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have hit 32 hours with "decent" usage... I am not going to get into what/how much but, know this - I actually have used my phone throughout 32-35 hours and it got down to 4% battery left...

So far it is OK, I just am curious why I have night time drainage of 25% or more over a 6-8 hour of smart action night time idle....

The Nighttime SA appears to turn Sync off but not Data which means that your phone's radio is still active while it's locked and idle. You would probably still get some drain while the phone is in standby mode but 25% seems like a big chunk. Have you looked at the battery usage in the settings menu? It will show you the slope of the battery drain. You could customize the SA and add the Data disable to it and see if it makes a difference. Unless it's a unique situation in which I have to keep the phone on, I always power it off at bedtime and plug it into the charger.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I don't let my batt run that low, I put it on the charger at 20/30%