What is normal temperature range for device?

aBukLau

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Since S4 active have almost the same spec like S4, I'll post my question on this more popular section.

I just got my contract with ATT for my S4 active few weeks ago.
I did two factory reset. One soft, Factory Data Reset from "Backup and Reset", and another hard reset, from the recovery menu.

I've been playing Samurai vs Zombie a lots for past few days, which make me realize how dam hot my screen is.

So after searching online I found the code *#0*# provide you with the device temperature, and I record the following CPU temperature on my device.

!! Recorded from outdoor on a sunny 70'F day !!
Idle with no background apps : Around 43-46 'C
Few apps and playing SvZ : Around 55-58 'C

Is this temperature range normal ? I'm about to return to the store and get a replacement if not.

edit: did another temp test in a AC room, the result is lower by few degrees, but almost the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: temperature ?

The temperature is higher when playing games because your processor and GPU are maxed out to keep up with the game. Higher temperatures while gaming is normal.

Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

The temperature is higher when playing games because your processor and GPU are maxed out to keep up with the game. Higher temperatures while gaming is normal.

Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app

This.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site

In the galaxy S4 the main circuit board is located entirely around the camera module. This concentrates all the heat from heavy usage into a very small location. Every type of phone is designed differently, and my S4 always gets hot anytime the GPU is being used.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Those all sound like perfectly acceptable temperature ranges to me. Commercial products are usually designed to work up to 70C minimum.

aBukLau

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

So what temperature I should be worry about getting a replacement ? I've my phone stay HOT for 57degree while gaming today. I play game apps a lots as a teen, does the temperature harms my device in a long term ?

Hihihahaikal

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I've installed cm 11 on my samsung galaxy mega 6.3, the temperature become hot about 60 - 60c...even i'm not playing games anymore..what i have to do and it's that okay ?

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I use "cpu temp in status bar" xposed module.
I also display battery temperature in status bar.
High battery temp feels hot on bottom end of phone (*)
High cpu temp feels hot on top end of phone (*)
(* referenced to portrait view)

It is to be expected that these temps vary with usage and a few other factors.
My battery temperature rarely gets above 50C (122F)
My cpu temp rarely gets above 70C (158F). In fact only once, some program went rogue and it got to 170F while I was sleeping (as I discovered when I woke up in the morning to HOT phone). No damage evident. Have never gone above 158F any other time myself.

teeone

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
my phone has never went above 50 degrees and i thought might mine got hot!!! i have the s4 mini and it gets to just under 50 playing mortal kombat x and it gets around 42 if i have been using it for a few hours multitasking around. once it gets to these temps i switch it off and let it cool down i also like to switch it off at night when its charging. i was sure my phone was guffed untill i checked about and seen its normal for this to happen. i used to have an old skool Samsung europa and it never got hot i suppose it wasent powerful enough to generate any heat!!

Socoboy1

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm laughing so hard right now because no one knows a thing about a cpu, it should be able to go to over 90 celsius before you should try to cool it down, don't even worry about 50 celsius it's a safe temperature. :/

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Temperatures above 50c (122 f) can burn your skin and are not temps you want to expose a lipo battery to! If the case of the phone is getting this hot I would be concerned! I know this is the internal temp of the processor but will spread to the things around it including the memory card, camera, gps and other circuitry. If it is enclosed in a case this can make matters worse! Any activity that causes a phone to get this hot is probably not good for the phone!

Ntspawn

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
My galaxy note 4 was running temperature af anywhere from 45 to 80 degrees celsius and often would reboot because of temperatures higher than 80,i did a facotory reset reinstalled all my apps found problem still there so starteded to check all my apps usages etc i began to delete suspect apps as they may have gone rogue or just werent compatible with note 4 as compared to my note 3 so any way I ended up deleting 4 apps so my temp is between 29 and 36 and rarely goes higher than that unless under load , anyway i no longer have temp problems phone doesnt reboot any more , my phone now runs beautifully , an d an interesting app to look at is called package disabler it , read about it