what is PVMtpServiceStart

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
a real battery hog and I have checked my apps too. I did some checking and forum has said it has to do with blockbuster but for one thing I don't have that app activated and I don't use wifi so can't figure this out

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
a real battery hog and I have checked my apps too. I did some checking and forum has said it has to do with blockbuster but for one thing I don't have that app activated and I don't use wifi so can't figure this out

You don't have to activate it, it runs automatically in the background looking for movie updates. If you don't have Blockbuster updated, it hogs battery life big time. Go into your market, then menu-my apps and see if there's an update for it. The newer version is less of a system hog. If that doesnt do anything, open blockbuster, tell it you'll activate later then go into the menu for it and disable movie updates. That should fix your problem. This was a big issue that was talked about a lot when the phone first came out.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My blockbuster app isnt listed when I go to the market but yet the same service is running on my phone as well.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
My blockbuster app isnt listed when I go to the market but yet the same service is running on my phone as well.

Then try my second suggestion. You might be able to search for it on the market and download the update too. There is a 2.3 version available though.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to activate it, it runs automatically in the background looking for movie updates. If you don't have Blockbuster updated, it hogs battery life big time. Go into your market, then menu-my apps and see if there's an update for it. The newer version is less of a system hog. If that doesnt do anything, open blockbuster, tell it you'll activate later then go into the menu for it and disable movie updates. That should fix your problem. This was a big issue that was talked about a lot when the phone first came out.

Last night after further investigating, I did go into the Blockbuster app and could see where I could disable movie updates. The app wasn't in my apps in the market as you stated. So this morning I followed your instructions in the market. Now in the app itself there isn't an option to disable the movie updates. No longer see it on the app. I have NOT activated the app........I hope I don't need to do this. And the alert I asked about is no longer in my battery list......for now anyways.......I hope I did this right. Strange, too, because I have had the TB for two weeks and this just popped up yesterday. Wasn't an issue prior.
Thanks again for your assistance.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I did what he suggested and all of a sudden the BB app was listed as running all the time where it wasnt before. The only thing I had before was that service running. Then my batter dropped like no tomorrow. So I uninstalled the update.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem with it once its been updated and haven't seen anyone else complain about it either. Not sure why it caused an issue for you.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This is an old issue since this phone was released. This has been posted before explaining the solution as explained above.

Sent from out of space.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
This is an old issue since this phone was released. This has been posted before explaining the solution as explained above.

Sent from out of space.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate it. Sorry if I was asking about an issue previously discussed but I didn't have the Thunderbolt until Aug 30th. I upgraded from the Incredible and I never had this problem before. I really didn't know of the problem until I got the TB. Some of us are new to the device even though it has been out for awhile, And I love it. But there are questions that can pop up and therefore, I am going to ask.:confused:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even update it. I went into the app and got the "Activate Device" message and selected "Activate Later". Then I went to "Menu", "Settings" and clicked on "Disable Movie Updates" (if it says "Enable Movie Updates", then they are already disabled, but it can't hurt to enable them then immediately disable them). If it's doing something now, I'm unaware of it.

I'd rather root and dump all that bloat, but it's a company-issue phone running MobileIron, so I'm not sure if I dare mess with "stock" all that much.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Strange, I've never gone into the Blockbuster app nor ever updated it (it doesn't show up under My Apps in the Market). Yet while I do have the PVMtpServiceStart running, it is using zero memory and has never contributed to any type of battery drain issue (always had decent battery life especially after the MR2 update). I wonder if it only becomes a problem once you launch the Blockbuster app triggering it to continually look for updates?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the "movie update" function is enabled by default whether you have ever openned the app. Openning it and shutting off updates is better than not openning it and letting it update. I suggest openning Blockbuster, shutting off the updates, and then closing it via the running services menu (it may be a cached process). Don't clear data though. That will reset the app to default and re-enable updates. I wouldn't update it to the new version that is in the market either.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the "movie update" function is enabled by default whether you have ever openned the app. Openning it and shutting off updates is better than not openning it and letting it update. I suggest openning Blockbuster, shutting off the updates, and then closing it via the running services menu (it may be a cached process). Don't clear data though. That will reset the app to default and re-enable updates. I wouldn't update it to the new version that is in the market either.

Thanks, but no thanks. If it ain't broke......

The fact that service is using ZERO memory on my phone and also since it doesn't appear to have any impact to my battery life what-so-ever, I'm not going to go messing around and risk creating a problem where I otherwise have none. :)

droid77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Strange, I've never gone into the Blockbuster app nor ever updated it (it doesn't show up under My Apps in the Market). Yet while I do have the PVMtpServiceStart running, it is using zero memory and has never contributed to any type of battery drain issue (always had decent battery life especially after the MR2 update). I wonder if it only becomes a problem once you launch the Blockbuster app triggering it to continually look for updates?

+ 1. I have also never gone into the app. It does show PVMtpServiceStart running, but it is not using any memory. I also have not had any battery drain issues from it. I also was wondering if it becomes a problem once you launch the app.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine was updating automatically right out of the box on March 17th, 2011. When did you get your TB? Perhaps this changed with MR1 or MR2. In any case, opening the app and turning auto movie database updates OFF is generally a good idea. As long as they are off there is no issue with the app. The new version of the app has the updates off by default. The older version did not.

-Frank

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but no thanks. If it ain't broke......

The fact that service is using ZERO memory on my phone and also since it doesn't appear to have any impact to my battery life what-so-ever, I'm not going to go messing around and risk creating a problem where I otherwise have none. :)

Roger that. Tinkering inevitably leads me to a world of hurt.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I never launched the app but since I followed the suggestions that were made to me, this issue is no longer on my device. But someone is lying.............I was in the store yesterday regarding something else and the rep told me that the phone manufacturer has a deal with Blockbuster and it is HTC who has it installed on the phones. I don't believe this..........it has to be Verizon. It is on other smartphones too so that makes no sense to me !

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine was updating automatically right out of the box on March 17th, 2011. When did you get your TB? Perhaps this changed with MR1 or MR2. In any case, opening the app and turning auto movie database updates OFF is generally a good idea. As long as they are off there is no issue with the app. The new version of the app has the updates off by default. The older version did not.

-Frank

I’ve had mine since April 1 when it had pre-MR1 software. Since then, had MR1 (via OTA), leaked June MR2 and official July MR2 (both via RUU). Through all of those, never launched the Blockbuster app and have never seen it running when checking for running applications/services. Overall, I've never seen anything using excessive battery.