What version(s) are you running now?

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I was just wondering what flavor everyone is running these days. I have several old Dell 5400 series laptops (perks of being in IT) that I have running various popular and lesser knows versions, but I'd have to say my go-to version is Ubuntu, themed to look like Mac.

I've tried Mint, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Debian, OpenSUSE, Peppermint (I really liked this one), Red Hat, there are others, but seems to always come back to Ubuntu. No reason other than it just seems to run smooth from the install.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've tried Ubuntu, Arch, Mint, Debian, OpenSUSE, Manjaro, and I think that's it. Had to check Distrowatch for more ideas.

Downloading PureOS, MXLinux, and Peppermint, cause, why not?

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried elementary? I think that version of Linux is the closest cousin to MacOS?

Actually I did. I think it was one of those "ok, this is cool, I'll come back to it later" and never did. But that's for the reminder. Downloading the iso now.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Been setting up virtual machines for Linux lately. I think I messed up one as I thought the storage amount they wanted was for RAM and I turned it down.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Right now, I have KDE Neon as my primary (still getting settled, as its brand new install), moved from Mint 18.3 KDE, Mint 18 xfce, and I've got Kaos in there somewhere.

My hard drive is a mess, though: the boot partition is too small, the partitioning otherwise is messy and I've broken a couple things while trying to clean up my boot menu. I'm either going to have to back up everything and start from scratch or move to another drive (and basically start from scratch).

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If it were me, I'd start on a fresh drive. Move all your files afterwards, then format the original drive.
Right now, I have KDE Neon as my primary (still getting settled, as its brand new install), moved from Mint 18.3 KDE, Mint 18 xfce, and I've got Kaos in there somewhere.

My hard drive is a mess, though: the boot partition is too small, the partitioning otherwise is messy and I've broken a couple things while trying to clean up my boot menu. I'm either going to have to back up everything and start from scratch or move to another drive (and basically start from scratch).

tpjoynt

Mar 9, 2019
Visit site
I've been using Ubuntu GNOME. I actually like GNOME 3 - I have an XPS 13, and find the interface works well with the touch screen.

If I was installing a vanilla OS, I might just go with mainline Ubuntu as it has GNOME now.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Ubuntu GNOME. I actually like GNOME 3 - I have an XPS 13, and find the interface works well with the touch screen.

If I was installing a vanilla OS, I might just go with mainline Ubuntu as it has GNOME now.
Some other variants of Linux have the GNOME desktop environment as an option. I think Manjaro is one.

tpjoynt

Mar 9, 2019
Visit site
Some other variants of Linux have the GNOME desktop environment as an option. I think Manjaro is one.

Yeah that's true. I guess I tend to stick with Ubuntu variants since I'm used to the debian package manager, and the overall support layer ubuntu provides. If I had more time I'd try others!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can get them either way. This particular one came with Windows 10 and was part of a kit. The pc didn't get used so I grabbed it.
It was a barebones AsRock BeeBox that got my expensive habit started. After I built that; there was no looking back. Started building a full desktop, which led to a Windows desktop, and all downhill from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa