What will it take to get you interested in a Pixel 4/4XL?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Pie is by far one of the buggiest builds of Android released. Smart or efficient doesn't matter when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc.

"when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc."

I am running Pie and I have none of the issues you mentioned. I was running it since the 2nd beta came out for it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I will automatically become interested, but what it will take for me to purchase is simple. My P2 must be in need of replacement. Otherwise probably gonna pass.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I will automatically become interested, but what it will take for me to purchase is simple. My P2 must be in need of replacement. Otherwise probably gonna pass.

Good point. The Pixel 2 is the first phone I've ever had that hasn't made me really itch for a new phone at the one-year mark (it'll be a year in April). I'm going to keep it until it is in need of replacement and that will be a sad, sad day.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Good point. The Pixel 2 is the first phone I've ever had that hasn't made me really itch for a new phone at the one-year mark (it'll be a year in April). I'm going to keep it until it is in need of replacement and that will be a sad, sad day.

Yep, My pixel2 may be my first phone ever that I replace a battery. It's still fine and goes all day and beyond but should it start to have a battery issue down the road I may go the new battery route over throwing hundreds of dollars at a new pixel.
I mean, what does any new phone have that could entice me to dump a perfectly fine working device? The gestures thingie I do not like anyway and will not be in any hurry to move to that. The camera is excellent for what I use it for. Should get "Q" when it is released so no issues with updates. I can't think of a single thing that would cause me to throw almost a grand at a new pixel. If it suddenly stops working then I'll get rid of it.
I also, like so many others would update to whatever was the latest and greatest that came out. I've taken a step back from that train of thought. Innovations are minor IMO these days. Def not worth what they want for them. Just my 2cents.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep, My pixel2 may be my first phone ever that I replace a battery. It's still fine and goes all day and beyond but should it start to have a battery issue down the road I may go the new battery route over throwing hundreds of dollars at a new pixel.
I mean, what does any new phone have that could entice me to dump a perfectly fine working device? The gestures thingie I do not like anyway and will not be in any hurry to move to that. The camera is excellent for what I use it for. Should get "Q" when it is released so no issues with updates. I can't think of a single thing that would cause me to throw almost a grand at a new pixel. If it suddenly stops working then I'll get rid of it.
I also, like so many others would update to whatever was the latest and greatest that came out. I've taken a step back from that train of thought. Innovations are minor IMO these days. Def not worth what they want for them. Just my 2cents.

I definitely know what you mean. I've decided that I'd rather keep a device for longer; especially if I paid a good deal of money for it and it's still working fine. If it's working well, why dump it for another phone that is not much of a technological advancement over the phone you're currently using?

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Get rid of the ridiculous size notch and bezels and I'm in. Been using the OnePlus 6T but was Nexus / Pixel all the way until this last iteration and I'm VERY happy with OnePlus but would go back for the camera alone if they could make the hardware a little more circa 2019.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Pixel phones have become the only Android phone I am interested in . Even tho My Pixel 2 XL is working fine, I may find some excuse to update to it :)

As far as Android Q I will install the beta version on my Pixel 2 sometime this summer.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I definitely know what you mean. I've decided that I'd rather keep a device for longer; especially if I paid a good deal of money for it and it's still working fine......

I have done that as well this past year. Which was the first year I did not update to an new Android phone . I have been using Android phones since 2010

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Until they allow a little more customization to the UI like OnePlus, put in enough RAM that you don't have to worry about having enough, come up with a better gesture navigation solution and improve their build quality so there aren't major issues out of the gate I'm not interested. I like the size and feel of the pixel 3 but after multiple hardware issues on the pixel 2 and swapping multiple devices and still having issues I'm not going back. Yes it has a great camera but the camera on my 6T is very solid and the experience on the rest of the device is far better than I ever had on my pixel 2 and the hardware feels way better built.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Pixel phones have become the only Android phone I am interested in . Even tho My Pixel 2 XL is working fine, I may find some excuse to update to it :)

As far as Android Q I will install the beta version on my Pixel 2 sometime this summer.

I challenge you to try the Note 9. I was in the same boat as you and defended the Pixel series. Now I can see how awful the Pixel series is and how it needs to improve it's hardware to match it's software optimization. There is no excuse for Google Apps not to be the best Android experience and they are not. Samsung suite of apps such as health and pay leave Google pay and fit way behind and why the heck can't Google develop a messenger to best iMessage.

Give me more cameras, better cameras, larger battery, better screen, more RAM, Better mics and speakers, and better build quality. Move the needle instead of resting on your past successes.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
it's really tempting to jump in on the 4xl...but since I am already fully happy with my 2xl....gonna probably hold off, at least initially.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't think Google has been ready to step up on the plate and offer much.
Seems they want to stay a year behind everybody and make a tiny offer.
Take it or leave it.
Don't seem like they care if they sell phones or not.
It's we have the best camera.
Take it or leave it.

Don't think they care to hire the folks with the technology to put a phone out that's up to date .

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
What I would like to see in the Pixel 4XL

Samsung's Screen and hole punch for the front camera's
Fingerprint sensor on the rear
Minimum of 6 GB's of memory
Two rear cameras - best camera experience improved and continued!!!!
Minimum of 4000 MAh battery
Quick wired and wireless charging
Headphone jack
storage size of 128, 256
Improved Video capability with better mics!!!
Bluetooth 5
what am I missing?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You haven't even talked about a SD Card

6 gb ram was what folks was putting bout last yr.
Sound like you want last yrs standards for this year

When are the phones gonna operate on both 4G and 5G out of the same phone.

Sounds like each carrier wants their own network to work on their phones.
Phones need to come unlocked, or get out of the business.
They have to do way more than what you want.
Don't think Google cares.
Think they put put a phone and don't care if they sell it or not.

MFG are raising prices and putting themselves out of business.
Especially with phones from 1000.00 to over 2000.00 for people to play on.
I don't have a business anymore.

Not paying the prices .

Don't care what they make.
Technology is costing too much in phones.
Parts don't cost that much.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
What I would like to see in the Pixel 4XL

Samsung's Screen and hole punch for the front camera's
Fingerprint sensor on the rear
Minimum of 6 GB's of memory
Two rear cameras - best camera experience improved and continued!!!!
Minimum of 4000 MAh battery
Quick wired and wireless charging
Headphone jack
storage size of 128, 256
Improved Video capability with better mics!!!
Bluetooth 5
what am I missing?

eSim for all major 4 networks in the US
4 and 5 G compatible