What will it take to get you interested in a Pixel 4/4XL?

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I started off saying storage and I meant storage not memory

Phone's memory. Phone's memory includes RAM and ROM. RAM equals the memory (or memory bar) of the computer, while ROM is the device's internal storage, equaling the hard disk of the computer. The bigger the RAM, the more software the phone runs smoothly; While the bigger the ROM, the more data it can store.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Phone's memory. Phone's memory includes RAM and ROM. RAM equals the memory (or memory bar) of the computer, while ROM is the device's internal storage, equaling the hard disk of the computer. The bigger the RAM, the more software the phone runs smoothly; While the bigger the ROM, the more data it can store.
I'm not sure why you're going to this but ROM is Read Only Memory and not internal storage.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
After a week with my Pixel 4xl the sim is back in my Note 10+ and my oneplus 6t. Actually it didn't even last a week. I think google has a good phone in the pixel 3a line where it gives you googles vision of android with a great camera experience at a good price, but they just can't compete at a high end level, well not with their current offering. Way too many compromises on the 4xl to charge a premium.

-Motion Sense is gimmicky
- No wide angle
-No updated camera sensor, uses the Sony IMX363 that the 3 and 3a use lol.
-Screen brightness is a joke

The camera is still great but thats the pixels trademark and they did nothing to push the image quality forward. Apple has caught up with their night mode and Samsung is probably right their when they release the s11 with their new sensor.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
After a week with my Pixel 4xl the sim is back in my Note 10+ and my oneplus 6t. Actually it didn't even last a week. I think google has a good phone in the pixel 3a line where it gives you googles vision of android with a great camera experience at a good price, but they just can't compete at a high end level, well not with their current offering. Way too many compromises on the 4xl to charge a premium.

- No wide angle

The camera is still great but thats the pixels trademark and they did nothing to push the image quality forward. Apple has caught up with their night mode and Samsung is probably right their when they release the s11 with their new sensor.
I traded my Pixel 3 XL for Note 10+ pre-order. Happy with the Note and will be sitting tight until Note 11 and Pixel 5. The camera is the only thing that pulls me to Pixel. If the rumors are right about S11 camera, Google is toast.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

- No wide angle

I 100% agree.... although my main draw to pixels is Google's attention to making the cleanest, smoothest, best operating Android version with updates that are on time and just work. So even though I'm disappointed in the direction they're taking their flagships pricing and hardware wise, I'll be picking up another pixel as my next phone. It'll just be a 1-2 year old version for a half or less the price it was new ;-)

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I 100% agree.... although my main draw to pixels is Google's attention to making the cleanest, smoothest, best operating Android version with updates that are on time and just work. So even though I'm disappointed in the direction they're taking their flagships pricing and hardware wise, I'll be picking up another pixel as my next phone. It'll just be a 1-2 year old version for a half or less the price it was new ;-)

It'd completely agree a few years ago when Samsung was running on TouchWiz (God it was awful!!) And OnePlus was still an unknown.

Now enjoy Samsung oneui. Yeah it requires some debloating buts it's pretty fast and feature rich.

Then we have OnePlus that had turned into a solid company offering great phones for a good price.

In short for around the price of a pixel 4xl I could just get a note 10+ that offers a lot more or I could save a few hundred and get better hardware, great software and updates from OnePlus.

Having the pixel 4 xl for a week it felt like a mid-range phone. I think this is the area Google should focus on.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I had a pixel 3 XL for a year.
The whole time I had it , everybody was talking about the pixels.
I couldn't understand why google thought it was a top class phone.
I had bought my wife a note 9.

My best friend bought a note 9.
Both went wild over the note 9.

I was doing updates and all for my wife.

Back when the Samsung techs was at Best Buy.
I signed my wife & me for some of their free classes.

They showed her a lot about how to set up a calendar, reminders, and a whole lot more.

Really taught her a lot about the phone. Hdw and software.

I learned from having the pixel 3XL for a yr.
What all I was missing.
And I felt I had paid for some software, and I was lacking hardware..when I went out in the sun and tried to take pictures.
The pixel 3 XL screen wasnt bright enough to see what I was shooting.
Again I felt cheated
But when you have a new phone that you paid top dollar for.
You don't want to say to everybody .
I got a sub par phone to what everybody is saying.
Everybody is wanting to justify paying for what they bought.
And you get one..wow. it gets updates fast.
I lost a little bloatware.
But at what cost.

What is a company as big as Google waiting on.
Why listen to what everybody ask for, do surveys for Google, and totally just keep doing the same thing.
What happened with everything we was waiting on.
I want to invest in a company in the U.S.

Make a high priced phone. Without the hardware.
Nothing is going to complement software like Hardware.

I know as good as google is with their operating system.
They have to know how to know how to compete and build a killer phone.
And I think everybody is waiting for them to come out with the best phone ever..

Tell me their techs and engineers has looked at how other mfg in the world build phones, just like Huawei.

But they just don't break out and release what everybody is looking for.
They just take baby steps and tease us.

I would love to see their engineers build a phone that would be 5G or 6G and rock the industrial.
I would buy one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I had a pixel 3 XL for a year.
The whole time I had it , everybody was talking about the pixels.
I couldn't understand why google thought it was a top class phone.
I had bought my wife a note 9.

My best friend bought a note 9.
Both went wild over the note 9.

I was doing updates and all for my wife.

Back when the Samsung techs was at Best Buy.
I signed my wife & me for some of their free classes.

They showed her a lot about how to set up a calendar, reminders, and a whole lot more.

Really taught her a lot about the phone. Hdw and software.

I learned from having the pixel 3XL for a yr.
What all I was missing.
And I felt I had paid for some software, and I was lacking hardware..when I went out in the sun and tried to take pictures.
The pixel 3 XL screen wasnt bright enough to see what I was shooting.
Again I felt cheated
But when you have a new phone that you paid top dollar for.
You don't want to say to everybody .
I got a sub par phone to what everybody is saying.
Everybody is wanting to justify paying for what they bought.
And you get one..wow. it gets updates fast.
I lost a little bloatware.
But at what cost.

What is a company as big as Google waiting on.
Why listen to what everybody ask for, do surveys for Google, and totally just keep doing the same thing.
What happened with everything we was waiting on.
I want to invest in a company in the U.S.

Make a high priced phone. Without the hardware.
Nothing is going to complement software like Hardware.

I know as good as google is with their operating system.
They have to know how to know how to compete and build a killer phone.
And I think everybody is waiting for them to come out with the best phone ever..

Tell me their techs and engineers has looked at how other mfg in the world build phones, just like Huawei.

But they just don't break out and release what everybody is looking for.
They just take baby steps and tease us.

I would love to see their engineers build a phone that would be 5G or 6G and rock the industrial.
I would buy one.
What's your point?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If the rumors are right about S11 camera, Google is toast.
Don't hold your breath. Samsung has been putting the latest and greatest camera hardware in their phones for years. But then they throw the pics into a Vitamix with a handful of glass shards and blend on high until smooth.

People are way too hung up on hardware. Apple didn't close the quality gap because of the camera hardware. They gained because they invested a massive amount of R&D into software.

Throwing hardware at the wall isn't going to move ahead... That's why Google stuck with the same sensor for the main. Take a sensor that is a known quantity and keep refining the software. And it worked... 'old' sensor or not, on straight up shots from the primary sensor, the Pixel 4 is still the leader of the pack.

Besides, that's what Google does. The Pixel 1 used a sensor that was only a minor update to the one in the 6p. And the IMX363 that they used for both the 3 and 4 is a small update over the IMX362 used in the Pixel 2 (which itself was really a lateral mive to the 1's IMX378 for that matter).

Oh, with the 2 they also added a bespoke processor whose sole purpose in life is to digest imaging data. To anyone saying they cheaped out reusing sensors I ask, do you realize how much time, money and effort it takes to design and manufacture a custom processor like that? Do you think they would have done that if all they had to do was call up Sony and ask for latest and greatest?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I would really like for google to do more research on the qualities of all the phones in general.
Build a phone with their software and software..design bigger batteries to fit in them.
Put a fingerprint sensor in them
And build a camera like Huawei.

And rock the industry.
I think a lot of consumers would like to see the same thing.

Think people are sitting and waiting.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I would really like for google to do more research on the qualities of all the phones in general.
Build a phone with their software and software..design bigger batteries to fit in them.
Put a fingerprint sensor in them
And build a camera like Huawei.

And rock the industry.
I think a lot of consumers would like to see the same thing.

Think people are sitting and waiting.

Agreed.

With so many resources Google made this phone 😑

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I agree with a lot of the criticism and do feel a little ripped off (I'm likely to get very upset on black Friday!)

Maybe keeping the same camera hardware made it easier continuity wise on the software side? Or maybe they really are just that cheap. I think Samsung kept the same sensor this year too?

The thing is though I went back to my S10 plus (with 10 beta 4). It is a great device but something about the hardware software combination just does not feel as 'planted' if that makes sense? So I am back on the XL and trying to manage the storage and battery.

If OP had an AOD and wireless charging I'd have one of those tbh.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree with a lot of the criticism and do feel a little ripped off (I'm likely to get very upset on black Friday!)

Maybe keeping the same camera hardware made it easier continuity wise on the software side? Or maybe they really are just that cheap. I think Samsung kept the same sensor this year too?

The thing is though I went back to my S10 plus (with 10 beta 4). It is a great device but something about the hardware software combination just does not feel as 'planted' if that makes sense? So I am back on the XL and trying to manage the storage and battery.

If OP had an AOD and wireless charging I'd have one of those tbh.
The same thing happened last year with Black Friday so it shouldn't be a surprise. Besides if the price was lower originally there wouldn't be a Black Friday deal.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
We do not always get the same black Friday deals in the UK so it is far from a done deal but yes that one would be all on me and my inability to resist a shiny new device when next day delivery was available!

I am flip-flopping on it pretty much daily TBH, I love the software experience but I can get the same experience or better on a OnePlus (minus an always on display) The OnePlus has compromises too though and when you weigh them up the Pixel still looks the better bet albeit an over-priced one if you really want stock (or close to it) android.

Samsung phones are always a love hate with me, they tick almost every box on paper and I often think I am crazy to prefer the Pixel over my ceramic S10+ which has a far nicer build, better screen and with the SD card has 1TB of storage. I think it is the bloat management that wears thin and as I said whilst One UI is a big improvement over what went before it still does not have me fully sold and One UI 2.0 is not all that different, lastly the sense that the cameras are not quite as good as the Pixel/iPhone/Huaweis. Honestly I think I prefer the Huawei experience overall vs. Samsung which again sounds a little crazy so do not tell anybody!

As an aside I found this very critical review an interesting read and actually quite fair, I do not agree with all of it but I found myself agreeing with a lot of it . Honestly I would not buy the 4 XL again given the choice back, now I have it though I am enjoying it and selling would be throwing money away, also like an iPhone a Pixel feels like a buy and keep for the cycle rather than a buy and sell.

Sorry waffled a bit there!

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site

- No wide angle

I sold my S10+ and traded a 3a for the Pixel 4 XL, best moves I could have made. I have zero issues with screen brightness, zero issues with battery, love the photo quality, could care less about wide angle(it distorts). All of the beefs you have with the Pixel you knew about before you bought it. I only really miss the headphone jack on the S10+ and 3a.

Everyone is just so dissatisfied with everything these days. As is always the case, I will get the next latest release of whichever Android phone strikes my fancy. The vitriol shown over something like a cellphone cracks me up.

The 3a was a good value proposition, but it isn't the phone the Pixel 4 XL is, sorry. I am no different I want the best offering for my money and maybe the Pixel doesn't fulfill that, but it just works, and works well. The same thing Apple fanboys have being counter punching Android with for years.

It is interesting to say after all of this time Apple's camera finally caught up. It appears if that is the case maybe the next Pixel will improve the camera, but why now if the others are only now finally catching up?

I have owned so many phones since the Motorola brick I had, God only remembers how many years ago that was. I don't ever get enamored or look at any handset as a lifelong purchase.