What's really keeping you tied to Android? Would you change?

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Android for life here...:D....iOS is just too simple, I feel like it was made for people who don't want to be interested in their phone they just want it to do what it needs to do and not complicate their life in any way.

I'm with you....

Unfortunately that is why Apple gets the recognition it does and the sales numbers. I wouldn't say it sells to stupid people; but it does sell to people looking for a smartphone with simplicity. Android is definitely for the nerds, myself included. :cool:

I think eventually Apple's hype will fizzle. With Steve Jobs gone and the Apple platform remaining the same with no real evolution of the phone, people will get bored with it. I believe you are already seeing this happen around the world. It will still remain a top OS but I think it will loose its appeal.

Apple will may or may not have the same sale numbers as the previous phones, who knows. Maybe after 3 identical phones being branded "new" people will look elsewhere out of boredom.

Personally I have never been an Apple fan. I have never liked there UI. I like widgets and customization. I also do not like the ****** bag Starbucks drinking appearance that comes with owning one. Not all owners are like that but I have known more than a few that give me that I'm better than you cuz I have an Apple attitude.

Just my 0.02 not really meaning to dis anyone but ask an Apple fanboy and I am sure they would say the exact same about android.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you....

Unfortunately that is why Apple gets the recognition it does and the sales numbers. I wouldn't say it sells to stupid people; but it does sell to people looking for a smartphone with simplicity. Android is definitely for the nerds, myself included. :cool:

I think eventually Apple's hype will fizzle. With Steve Jobs gone and the Apple platform remaining the same with no real evolution of the phone, people will get bored with it. I believe you are already seeing this happen around the world. It will still remain a top OS but I think it will loose its appeal.

Apple will may or may not have the same sale numbers as the previous phones, who knows. Maybe after 3 identical phones being branded "new" people will look elsewhere out of boredom.

Personally I have never been an Apple fan. I have never liked there UI. I like widgets and customization. I also do not like the ****** bag Starbucks drinking appearance that comes with owning one. Not all owners are like that but I have known more than a few that give me that I'm better than you cuz I have an Apple attitude.

Just my 0.02 not really meaning to dis anyone but ask an Apple fanboy and I am sure they would say the exact same about android.

The one huge plus in Apple's favor in my opinion is it seems like they control their own updates. It doesn't seem like the carriers have much input or control over when ios updates are pushed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The one huge plus in Apple's favor in my opinion is it seems like they control their own updates. It doesn't seem like the carriers have much input or control over when ios updates are pushed.

I theory, so would a Google Nexus. In theory...

ddemlong

May 20, 2011
Visit site
There is no theory regarding that. It is a fact.

In a way yes and no. The manufacturer makes the update then Verizon still decides when to push an OTA for the Android phones. Then again with apple it seems the only real way to get a decent update is to buy a new phone from them.

GZ20TT

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
What keeps me tied to Android is the ability to customise it.
Microsoft mentioned in it's ads the ability to see your important information at a glance - but only in the format that MS wants you to see it. Android lets me do that in exactly the way that makes sense to me.

I have my main homescreen set up in a way that looks good to my eyes and shows me what I want to see in the way I want to see it.

Others may call that confusing - but I find a wall of apps confusing.

Every type of information can be minutely customised - from the hundreds of battery widgets to clock type to calendar etc. It can be placed in the grid wherever you want - and with either custom ROM or launcher - can even be placed in the notification bar or dock.
If the keyboard doesn't feel "right" you can change it.
Hell - if the font doesn't please your eyes you can change it.

It's also fairly easy to change everything to suit your mood.

While Apple claims to be simple and intuitive - having to dig down in the menu to turn on wifi irritates me - I just added a toggle, since it's one of my most-used functions. (A toggle that could be customised to suit my current theme too)

I also like that Android seems to play better with other things like my PC - basic drag and drop for example.

As to OS updates - I ROM-ed my MIlestone 1 in order to get apps-SD and then get it up to GB, since Moto lost interest. I never bothered to try ICS on it as it was happy with GB.

I have gone galaxy nexus now - and flashed to pure Yakju - but I feel that I'm not missing anything with stock ICS over what a custom ROM can give me and anything else I currently want can be sorted out by apps.

Until another OS can give me this sort of flexibility - I'll be staying with Android.

People spend increasing amounts of their time with their phone - work, play, social - and why shouldn't your phone reflect you?

Reactions: jroc

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Customization. I love that about android and you can even do it stock. That's why I left the Iphone it got boring. I would try windows phone cuz it looks really smooth but I know I'd get bored with those tiles after like 3 months. Only thing that kinda gets me about android is some things are glitchy but I can live with it.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Cost. I can't stand the poor battery and poor signal issues with the GN. I have unlocked and rooted and installed 4.04 and several different ROM's and still do not like this thing.

I spent three hours in a car today while my wife drove. 3G only areas. I was down to 15% battery by the end of the drive with no GPS but constant surfing. I just don't find that acceptable. And if I use the GPS and navigation, it loses power even when plugged into the car charger.

So if cost wasn't an issue, I would probably dump and get an iPhone. May do that anyway when the new one comes out. Loved my X. Would go back to that but the screen has spoiled me.

And the signal drops are incredibly annoying. Even when staying stationary.

Sorry to rant. I have been holding back my frustration for a while and this thread just kind of pulled it out.

I wonder if you have a bad phone or battery. Here is my battery life.
a6fa2c0b-efa7-2759.jpg

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Apple's ads speak volumes these days. A bunch of hollywood types talking to siri about gazpacho and other nonsense. They've got nothing about the phone to sell except the brand name and a gimmicky app.

Sent from my hooka via hash cloud.

Reactions: learntall

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
What's really keeping us tied to Android?

Most of the time, I justify it like most: freedom, customization, and variety.

Those reasons seem to cover the majority of what i read in various blogs and forums around the web. We who love Android defend these principles to a fault.

It's the basis of our devotion. Yet...

We constantly find that we're not completely satisfyed with various aspects of our platform. Updates not being handled properly. Hardware not tied to software as tightly as we may like. Carriers screwing us over and most of all...

Google and Android not getting the premium recognition as Apples iOS gets.

Granted, you can negate a few, if not all these problems by purchasing a Nexus device or rooting.

But what would it take to get some of us to try another platform?

I briefly had a fling with an iPhone 4S. I had to return it because the screen was too small and it felt fragile in my hand. I was terrified I was going to shatter it every time I left it out of its case. Also, with no built in voice guided navigation, I was sorely missing my GN.

Those are only a couple of issues I had with that particular device, ones that may one day be remedied.

Now, what about you all?

What does the competition have to do to steal your loyalty? Can they at all?

Customization. And screen size.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus is the second Android phone I've owned. I came from BlackBerry and after owning the Pnex I am strongly considering going back to BlackBerry when BlackBerry 10 comes out or maybe going WP8.

I have the PlayBook and I love its OS and UI. ICS is an improvement over Gingerbread, but its still laggy and frustrating to use compared to my PlayBook OS (and even compared to BlackBerry OS 6 & 7 devices I've used). Things on Android just take to many steps to do. At first it didn't annoy me, but more and more it has gotten old. Also I miss how well apps are intergrated in the OS on BlackBerry.

I don't hate Android, its just hasn't worked as well as I had hoped. I mean my dualcore Android phone lags worst than any of the singlecore smartphones I have owned (including the storm 1 lol). It reboots randomly at least once daily. It is unable to use data outside of a wifi connection. It can't handle simple tasks like switching screen orientation. It's screen is ugly and artifacts like crazy and each and every Pnex I have compared it with has different quality of screens.

These are real issues I have with what should be the best Android device available. I don't care if your Nexus is amazing and can solve world hunger. Mine isn't, mine is horrible.

I will keep a Android for wifi only use and will start tinkering with it. Because honestly I wouldn't feel right about selling someone my phone. I think I will enjoy Android more as a hobby then as a daily use phone.

Hyperboleeeeeeeee!!!!

Reactions: jroc

snook1031

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I love all iProducts but as far as my phone goes I just can't use iOS. The "fun factor" is taken away when I use iOS for anything other then my PC. (Never giving up my Mac Pro). I'm currently using a Rezound with the latest official/unofficial ICS leak (or whatever its called) and I love it. Yeah you can jailbreak iDevices but what does that really do to make them better? Nothing. Anywho I love Android because of its customizability and the fact that if I get bored with my device I can just change a few things around and I technically have a new device.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

bbui4

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I current own and use my Gnex, Droid Razr, and iPhone 4S.

My daily driver is the Gnex

I stay with Android because of:

1. Customization
2. Openness
3. Hardware Choices (screen size, build materials, etc.)

I like iOS because:

1. Ease of use (simplicity)
2. Stability
3. It still gets the most recognition

Considering all of this, I still prefer my Android phone because I have already learned how to use the OS so iOS being simple is no longer a feature, it just seems boring and out dated. I can't stand the TINY (but very sharp and clear) 3.5 in screen. Last and MOST importantly, ALL of my friends have iPhones andthey buy them partly because it seems like a status symbol to own an iPhone. I do NOT want to own the SAME phone as everyone else.

I would always consider other platforms but no other OS seem to have as many choices as Android.

sfreemanoh

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If I would ever switch, it would be to an iOS device, for one and only one reason. Apps designed only for iOS. Which hey, it's great for them, but it leaves us feeling like the red-headed stepchild. (No offense to any ginger step-children out there.) Eventually, as long as Android keeps growing in market share and iOS doesn't, the smartphone apps may start getting developed for iOS as well as Android a lot more often. But until then, it sucks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayelay388013