What's really keeping you tied to Android? Would you change?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
There's just to many options and now with the upcoming google event its be gonna amazing with what there going to announce

Love my G Nexus

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The fact that ios and wp7 are such closed systems, with very little abilitity to customize and im not talking about adding wallpapers and ringtones
The big thngs are , having a normal filesystem i can access, opening files with the ird party app of my choice, custom roms, different launchers, vastly superior functionaily on the bleeding edge, no the slow track, no other smartphone offers anything like android does in that department.
Do i want updates fast, yes, but i wont trade updates for a locked down device that pnly lets me do what Apple thinks i should

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I also would like to add that overall....its a pretty decent OS.

Haven't had too many software issues with my Droid 1, DX1, RAZR. My g nex and Rezound weren't too bad either. Some things I don't like about the Rezound software wise are sense related. And overall ICS was real nice on the g nex.

So....Android as an OS also keeps me using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I came in with the OG Droid, and I really appreciated the functionality. I've resisted root and rom up till now, but I may give it a try soon. Even without that option, I enjoy the customization and choices I have, my sons iDevice failed to excite me.
I noticed that AC's article on 1st qtr market share included Linux phones, and they had greater share than WP...I hadn't heard a thing about them till now, is this fairly new?
I've become interested in Linux and Ubuntu lately, and I notice that a particular segment of the computer savvy are into that, and recently there were stories about dual booting Android and Ubuntu on Android devices...is this something that would keep techie people in the Android realm?

Sent from my GNex using Android Central Forums

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't see myself switching anytime soon, but if I did Windows Phone would be the most likely landing spot. I'm curious to see what they do with WP8.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I am also keeping an eye on WP8. Waiting for the day when my PC, Tablet and phone all run Windows 8. Might even switch to IOS if they add widgets without jailbreaking.For now though, I feel Android is the best option.

erjennin

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Got to admit guys... I've been a long time Android enthusiast and decided to jump to WP7.5. I was sick of bugs, bad battery life, poor update schedules, bloatware, etc ..... I still love android but I felt like I needed to try something new. So far... I love WP7.5 . I had an iPhone for a bit and disliked that thing.... A LOT!

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
The fact that ios and wp7 are such closed systems, with very little abilitity to customize and im not talking about adding wallpapers and ringtones
The big thngs are , having a normal filesystem i can access, opening files with the ird party app of my choice, custom roms, different launchers, vastly superior functionaily on the bleeding edge, no the slow track, no other smartphone offers anything like android does in that department.
Do i want updates fast, yes, but i wont trade updates for a locked down device that pnly lets me do what Apple thinks i should

you should YouTube some jailbreak videos on ios and see if it changes your mind.

Honestly I think I like android as a tablet versus a phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I stay because of my investment in the ecosystem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Its not that I hate apple, its more like I just don't like it. My daughter and wife have iphone, daughter loves it and wife can't figure it out. But for me android just makes sense. So much so that employees get android phone of their choice. If they want an iphone they don't ask, works for me.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

alienseeder

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my first android and I loved it. But after I rooted it and installed backside I really really loved it. I bought a wii just cause I heard you could hack it. And when I found out you could hack an android I had to try it.I've got harmonia 2 running in my optimus now and I like it too
I'm patiently waiting to see if we can get ICS to run stable on them.I had a moto G windows phone and it crashed more than my home PC.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm tied to Android because Web OS failed, and I'm not ready to try an iPhone yet.

In my opinion, Web OS was much more customizable than Android is. Web OS & WebOS Quick Install gave us the capability to make numerous system changes on the fly with small tweaks or patches that could be applied quickly and easily. That's the flexibility I don't see in Android, maybe I've missed something? It seems to all be packaged in the ROM...

I've been eligible since late last year for an upgrade, but have been waiting on either the HTC EVO 4G LTE (I have the original Evo right now) or the Samsung GS3. Or I just might decide to hold out a little longer and see what Apple has up it's sleeve later this year.

I don't hate Apple & I don't dislike Android, but I am somewhat reluctant to be locked into the Apple "eco-system"... Apparently users don't even have the ability to place widgets on the hone screen? Regardless, I think I'm willing to give the iPhone a try. All I really want/need is something that works well, works all the time, and has useful apps, and doesn't run out of power by 2:00 in the afternoon. (Mad at EVO! Grrrrrrr :mad: )

BTW.... Whatever I get has to have at least 4" of real estate so my aging eyes can actually read what's on the screen.

David...

Reactions: YvesStLawrence

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yet...

We constantly find that we're not completely satisfyed with various aspects of our platform.

Maybe you aren't, but I am.

And it comes down to something very simple for me even if I wasn't completely satisfied: on any other platform I would be LESS satisfied because of the inferiority of those platforms (I'm referring to iOS, WP7 and BB).

Brandon

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i just had to censor my post, because it was not exactly polite, but the gist of it was:

when a better OS comes out, someone bump this thread. ;)

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My life is forever intertwined with various google services from email, contacts, documents, photos, videos, calendars, google voice, google+, tasks....the tight and mostly seamless integration and various widgets bring it all together in one device on a large screen that I can still carry around in my back pocket. Plus I can change devices as often as I like and setting it up is as easy as logging into my google account.

At this point, I can't imagine changing.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Choice is what does it for me. If one phone isn't up to par( cough* galaxy nexus* cough) then you have plenty of other options and they continue coming.

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty I would have to say the Google experience is what's keeping me on Android. Before my HTC EVO 4G I had a Sidekick LX and was thinking about getting an iPhone. But this was back 2010 when AT&T had it's exclusivity contract and it was way too expensive for me. I wasn't in love with it at first, at the overall design. I thought it (MotoBlur, Sense and especially Touchwhiz) was tacky, simple and corny. Then I found out about customization and even better -- rooting. But the Google experience is the one thing that'll keep me on Android even though I'm thinking about buying an iPhone as a secondary device. I'm really not too crazy about apps but I would love to give WP7 a try but they lack in basic apps.

FrasierCrane

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Friends who have used iPhones have soon found themselves disgusted with the lack of flexibility and the crappy iTunes experience. WP7 just isn't quite there (especially the apps). And ICS was a nice jump for Android.

All that said, I won't rule out an iPad when I finally decide to upgrade my tablet from the hacked Nook Color I'm using now. The music apps and accessories for iPad are terrific (Android has a few decent music apps, but the audio latency issue makes things like guitar pedal emulation impossible).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beauty1