What's really keeping you tied to Android? Would you change?

DrDoppio

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Android precisely because I am not tied to it. I have full control over the content in my device and the services I use. I could switch to a more open OS, should it appear, without any effort -- therefore, as long as there isn't anything more open, I'll stick with Android.

If Nokia hand't killed MeeGo, I'd probably be there, but that's a different story...

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I left Palm OS for windows mobile and left WM for Android.

I'm not tied to anything. If a device comes out that has the same customization, plus uses real Java, and I can still use the Unix command line, I would take a look at it.

msgnyc

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Being a long time Linux (Redhat/Fedora) user, I don't like being tied down and restricted by what someone else says I want and/or need. If I don't like something, I change it to suit me. PC = "Personal" Computer afterall. ;)

As for Android, It's the varying device options, aswell as the openness and freedom to do with my device whatever it is I want to do with it that keeps me with Android. Whether I want a Large screen, medium sized screen or something small I have the choice. Whether I want a screen full of icons, WP7-ish blocky Metro look, widgets on every square inch of my screen or even just a single black screen with just a phone icon. I can have it.

I can easily change the way my device looks on a whim to suit my needs, wants, mood or just because I feel like trying something different...
I don't have to fit the device, the device can be easily changed to fit me. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jroc

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
One Word....Choice

There are so many phones out there running this os that i can find one for my needs.
there are water/shock resistant phones, slider keyboards, giant screens, small screens, top of the line expensive, bottom of the barrel free and i can root every one and make it mine.

love the openness about it and the choice. No one phone suits everyone's needs

jlindsey.stu

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I switched back to Android a month ago from the iPhone 4S. The reason for my switch was strictly hardware. Unlike most, I enjoy the Apple OS. But I was tired of the small screen and wanted to give Android another try. So to answer the question, nothing ties me to android necessarily. I just go with what I perceive as the best device.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I just enjoy the os. I've never tried an iphone for more than a few seconds. didn't like it enough to buy one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Android makes it easy to make your phone your own right out of the box. The interface is super easy to navagate. Love it!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

atremorer

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't like iOS and don't like Apple's Big Brother attitude. I loved webOS. Even with it's lack of apps, I prefer it over Android. It is more elegant and simpler to tweak. Too bad HP and a crazy CEO effectively killed it. I have hopes for it as an open source OS with Open Web brunhinge it all the Angelus apps, but I certainly won't holds my breath. If windows phone had any decent devices, sheen I was purchasing, I would have considered it; it seems more intuitive.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried the iPhone 4, had an iPod touch for a while too but it was just too boring for me. I could do a crap load with my Android phone without jail breaking it. I could make it look like anything without jail breaking it. I could put widgets, live wall paper, more app options that are banned from apple store(e.g. changing my default sms app) heck, I can even put on a different app store it I want. Did I mention free music(shhhh out little secret). I ventured from Android to IOS for a while because I heard of the smooth and seamless iPhone but was disappointed with the multitask system which isn't really multitask, plain looking boring screen, no ability to try out apps before you buy them, the complicated way to set up a ring tone from music library and the terrible notification system which they now fixed thanks to copying Android. I thought IOS would be perfect but I came to find out applications crashed on on there too although to be honest some apps ran smoother on IOS. Finally paying for a phone navigation that was no where as nice as my free google nav was the last draw and I switched back to Android.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The number 1 reason for me would have to be that it is open source. I am no developer by any stretch of the imagination (nor do I play one on TV), but in my experience with technology, open source software always has the best communities. Especially for custom development.

I really love the platform, but my next biggest reason for staying with Android is the investment I have made in the platform's ecosystem. I have spent hundreds of dollars over the last few years on applications. I do not intend on repurchasing these apps anytime soon. And there is nothing out right now compelling enough to make me do so.

I would never limit myself to any brand or product and pledge my undying loyalty to a company, but it would have to be something incredibly awesome to get me to jump ship from Android.

...one more reason. I love being Part of the Android Central community...

Last edited:

monoespacial

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I have many reasons that stretch from ideological to funcional. Basically, I don't want to spend money on a device that is designed to work well only with it's own defined ecosystem and in a company that sues people who try to improve on the device.

On the functionality side:

- 3.5" is too small. Even 4" seems small to me now.
- iPhones break when dropped, demanding a case. I've used my Galaxy S for 2 years and I've dropped it several times. No case, no screen protector. I've dropped my keys, and once, my belt buckle, on the screen. It has no scratches and no dents.
- iTunes is the worst piece of software ever made for music, and the iOS player is ridiculosly bad too (Can't enque, can't change song order unless you've specifically started an on-the-go playlist). If jailbraking solves this, it shouldn't have to.
- My mom has an iPad. She has about 40 or 50 games installed. It is impossible to find an app in the wall of icons she has because none are in folders, there is no order whatsoever. Android solves this using the App Drawer. My main screen has apps for daily use. Games are to the left. Helpful apps are to the right. Widgets add information and functionality to each screen.
- Blackberry fails hard.
- I dislike the tile interface of WP7.

Anecdote:
- Yesterday I used Siri for the first time. My mom and her bf are going to London and I tried to show them how to use it to get info on the go using her bf's iPhone 4s.

"Show me a map of London".
"I'm sorry, I cant show you a map of London"
WHAT? You know what I'm asking for and you can't show it because it's not in the US?! That is f***ed up.
"Show me a map of Argentina."
"I'm sorry, I cant show you a map of Argentina"

I showed him Google Voice. He asked me if he could buy the Galaxy S3 tomorrow.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
For yuks, I just tried that with Vlingo, a Siri-like Android app.

"Map of London."

Complete action using... Earth - Maps - Zillow ?

Maps.

Bam, London in Google Maps.

Ah but when I tried

"Show me a map of London"

It gave up and asked if I wanted to Google that. Natural language is just a really hard problem, it seems.

ETA: Tried it with Evi, another Android Siri, and Evi answered both questions correctly although it did assume I wanted GMaps.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh and to add: everything DaEXfactoR said and in addition:

I trust Google more than I do any other company. If I'm going to be basically stuck in a company's universe, I need to trust that company.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Google Maps/Gmail, easy tethering, LTE, screen size. And ICS is a real step forward for Android. Oh, and Swiftkey!

I'm pretty platform-agnostic. I've got a Palm Pre and an iPhone 4 in a drawer somewhere, and I liked aspects of both, but Android works for me. There's nothing really keeping me from leaving though there are plenty of things keeping me here, too.

I do love the level of customizability, but it does begin to wear on you after a while. I also poo-pooed most of the discussion of Android fragmentation, but the fact is that 6 months after ICS was launched only a tiny handful of phones have official releases, and it's going to be another month or two more for most phones that even get the upgrade. That's unacceptable in my opinion.

I think most of the other OSes just have too many shortcomings right now for me to take them seriously. iOS is iOS, which has its advantages, but too many disadvantages. WP7 is still so primitive is doesn't even have separate volume levels for media and ringtone. Etc.

monoespacial

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah but when I tried

"Show me a map of London"

It gave up and asked if I wanted to Google that. Natural language is just a really hard problem, it seems.

ETA: Tried it with Evi, another Android Siri, and Evi answered both questions correctly although it did assume I wanted GMaps.

Yeah, but even though you have to talk more directly like "map of london", it works. It not only works, as you mentioned, it knows you have several apps that could display that information and it asks you which one you want to use.

I should mention he had an offline GPS app installed. There was absolutely no integration with this app throughout his phone.

Another thing I like about Android is that it can suit different people. I have the Galaxy S and I'm getting the S III soon because I never upgraded to the S II. A friend recently bought the S II, upgrading from my old Galaxy Spica. Another bought the Defy+, because he wanted a phone that was cheap and that he could carry anywhere. Another one has the Galaxy Ace (which sucks, I know), but these last two are people who are not into technology and they don't like spending money on stuff like mobiles. They just want to get email, a map and some basic internet on their phone at the cheapest price. Android does this. It doesn't do it perfectly, but it's ok.

It's kinda like me having a gaming PC, a friend having a dual core 2gb ram laptop, and my mom having a $2000 mac she uses for web browsing. Are macs good? Sure, if you have the money and you don't really care about cost/benefit or you don't want to do something "crazy" on it.

Reactions: jroc

yuzume83

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Android because I like tinkering with my phone. I enjoy trying out various ROMs and also the ability to customize my homescreens with widgets. I honestly don't know what it would take to convert me to an iPhone.

My boyfriend had an iPhone 4S, but went back to Android because he wanted Flash on his phone.

We ulitmately sold the iPhone on ebay, but I played around with it for a bit to try and see what all the hype was about. I found the iPhone boring. Yes, it performs well, and it's smooth and quick. I can see how it appeals to the majority of consumers who prefer simplicity.

As much as I love my Android, I know people with Android phones that would probably be better off with iPhones. The majority of my classmates have iPhones, but the 2 that have Androids often have problems with their phones and they aren't interested in rooting, ROMs, or spending time on the internet searching for fixes.

weberm13

May 27, 2012
Visit site
For me it is screen size and customization capabilities. I loved iOS, but a 3.5 inch screen is too small. I've found that 4.3 or 4.5 is the perfect size for me. Anything bigger or smaller isn't right. I do miss the apps on iOS, especially the Twitter apps. They are really better on iOS than they are on Android. Plume is the best I've found for Android and it doesn't compare to Tweetbot or Osfoora.

smutek

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
tmobile keeps me tied to Android. We get great rates and great service from them but, as soon as they get an iPhone I'm finished with Android. If tmobile isn't offering an iPhone by the time my contract is up for renewal I may end up buying one unlocked and just deal with edge/wifi until tmobile gets their network compatible.

I've had the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC G2 and I've been running rooted the entire time. I've used various custom roms, a long stint running cyanogen and have been on MIUI for the last 8 months, so I'm not your average tech impaired user. Thank god for the custom roms and the good developers who make them.

No disrespect Android peeps. Use what works for you. Personally, I'm just over it.

All of the rest of my devices are iOS/OSX, I've been using Apple products professionally for ten years, and I will gladly take the "walled garden" or whatever else you want to call it, along with the speed and simplicity any day.

:-!

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beauty1