When are they going to make the next version of the Nexus 7?

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I love my Nexus 7, but recently I've been having some issues of it not charging when I plug it in. I've come back to it after several hours and it wouldn't be charged. I had to attempt several long presses on the power button while it's plugged in and unplug it back and forth, leave it alone for a period of time, until it finally turns back on.

Anyways, because I love buying new things, I am dreaming of when Google releases the next Nexus 7. It's been two years since the last release, but it seems like longer. What would you like to see in the next version?

Better display, bigger battery, better processor, front facing speakers, better cameras?

This tablet has been really good to me. I have the Nexus 9, but it gets heavy after holding it for awhile and the the metal edges make it uncomfortable to hold. The bigger screen I actually not as comfortable to look at.

Even though the soft touch back of the 7 is a fingerprint magnet, it makes it comfortable to hold. The device was really affordable. It's a device I feel like I can throw around and not have to worry about. It's easier to type on with the hands. We're still getting updates! The battery seems to die faster, as of late. Maybe doze will help it!

With the release of this Nexus 6 and 6P, the size gap has really shrunken. 5 inch+ phones are the standard...some may say that 6 inches is the standard. Where are we going from here? The phone, the phablet, the tablet, the laptop, the desktop, the TV. They are all kind of computers blending in together.

We still need something that's pocketable. Fashion designers are starting to make pants with bigger pockets. We don't want to hold a brick slab next to our ears. It's comedy watching people take pictures with their tablets, but we have cameras in them that I never use, just cause. 6 inches should be the max for a phone and it's already reaching tablet territory at that point. What a pondering!

Last edited:

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Google has decided to discontinue the Nexus 7. The last version is the 2013 model. Most of us N7 owners hate this decision, but there's no indication that there will ever be another one. Too bad.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The day my Nexus 7 dies will be a very sad day for me. I dislike skinned Android, and every tablet that's similar in size is skinned. Hopefully by then someone will have come out with a near-stock 7" Android tablet (that doesn't suck).

Shiftymorgan

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I know this may a bit weird but is it worth getting a nexus 7 2013 now?

Just after a bunch of thoughts.

Getting rid of a surface 2 because I don't use it enough due to the nature of it.

Thanks for any replies.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I think it is worth it for sure. After all it is getting Marshmellow. I have had mine for 2 years now and it is still my go to tablet every day. I have a nexus 9 that basically just sits there collecting dust. The small size and convience of the n7 make it a winner for me. I'd say it's good for a couple of years still.
BTW I am still on KitKat 4.4.4.
If it ain't broke don't fix it is my Motto there.

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Definitely still worth getting, lollipop was a disaster for it on battery life (on my unit anyway) and I barely used it. But then came marshmallow and its like a brand new up to date tablet, great battery life and extremely smooth and fluid. They are cheap to buy new and there isn't really any other 7-8" tablet either with stock android or in the same price range that works as well I'd say.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 2013 which is running fine. Not had the Marshmallow update yet. Still on 5.1.1 for now. Love my tablet! Like the size. Thought about getting a Nexus 9 but it's not as portable as my Nexus 7. The screen is still a lovely thing and still holds up to similar priced tablets that are available now.

Xaiux

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
The only other competition in my mind to this thing is the Nvidia Shield tablet. It should be faster, but is somewhat bigger too. Biggest thing for me is the SD slot, and hdmi out.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Google will never make another 7" Nexus tablet. You can see what direction they are headed in with the Pixel C and it isn't smaller and affordable. The day my N7 dies will be a sad one.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The next version is going to be later this year. But it won't come out when Android N does, probably a few months after according to what I have read.

Posted via the Android Central App

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I asked the Google reps at Best Buy and they said many folks are asking, but they do not know if it will happen. Pester Google they said.

Robert Ratskywatsky

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I had two n7 2013s. I liked them as lot but the charger plug on the first one broke and I cracked the screen on the second. I traded the first one in for a Samsung TabS2. I still have the cracked screen one. I then bought a second TabS2 so now I have both the 8 and 9.7 inch versions. I like them and would recommend them as your n7 replacement.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I then bought a second TabS2 so now I have both the 8 and 9.7 inch versions. I like them and would recommend them as your n7 replacement.
Did you do much research before you got them? I'm wondering how they compare to something like the nVidia Shield Tablet K1.

What OS are they currently running?

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I really want a Nexus 7 2016/2017 tablet, either as a 7" or 8" device. Even a 4:3 ratio screen would be ok. Just decent specs, and a good screen (At least 2048 resolution).

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 is getting a little bit long on the tooth, but it's a fantastic tablet, and the day it dies, I will be really sad. I really want a replacement! but current tabs of the same form factor have similar specs and similar prizes (or lower specs, aka 720p screens intead of 1080p screens).

Current rumors do not point at a refreshed model this year either...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe